Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
OK, guys...gimme the truth. What's the real difference between a single 1.8 and a dual? Is it worth the extra money?

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Depends on what you want to do with your Mac. Email, Word, Safari, iTunes will all run perfectly well in a single 1.8 G5 PM. Where you're going to see a difference is in apps like Final Cut Pro 4, Photoshop, and other dual-proc aware apps, or if you like to watch DVDs while playing UT2003 and downloading bitTorrents as your iMovie renders, iDVD encodes, and Folding helps the world. ;)

Seriously, though, you'll only notice a slight difference if using many apps at the same time. The big difference is in the pro apps rendering.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
jrv is right; it all depends on your uses. For many "consumer" level users, even a single G5 is overkill. But if you use "pro" apps or many apps at once, the duals are easily more bang for your buck.

bannedagain

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
Dual Opterons, Tyan motherboard, 16GB of RAM, Ultra SCSI 320, Radeon9800XT.

Drool:D

In all honesty for 99% of all office applications an LC575 apple mac would probabley be quite fine. It might struggle with some of the JAVA scrtipt on some web pages, and have zero current software support, but it would be great for e-mailing, typing documents, and doing the odd thing on Excel. Even playing A-10 Attack and F/A-18 Hornet.

However for your power user eg. me and many other members of this fourm DP or Twin CPU Systems have distinct advantages. I'm fed up waithing 6 or so hours for my old AMD K7 1GHGz to encode Div-X movies. That's why I want the system listed above.

If all you want is to bum arround on the net, and type the odd uni assignment up buy the cheapest current modle PC you can lay your hands on, It'll be faster than my computer and I wouldn't call mine slow by any means on day to day tasks. However it just likes to take its time rendering video and audio.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
I went to the Apple store one day and compared a single 1.6 GHz to a dual 1.8 GHz. I had my brother open up all the applications on his dock and I opened all the applications on my dock on the single 1.6. (We had equalized the apps earlier) The dual 1.8 totally whooped the single 1.6 and took a about a third of the time to open all of the apps than the 1.6. We then pitted the single 1.6 G5 against a Dual 1.25 G4. The Dual 1.25 won. Just a little example of how fast the duals can go versus a single.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.