Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Hi, I have a motorola cable modem. I just got it. Ever since I have not been able to send any images over the internet without them becoming all scrabbled up. Is this a Modem problem? Cable problem? Software problem? I think I have narrowed it down to my internet connection. I can recieve information fine, however when I go to upload information, Scramble is the result. Very frustrating. Anyone have similar experiences? Should I contact apple or the ISP?
Thanks for reading.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I really don't think that would be a problem with your cable modem at all. I'd say most likely the problem lies in software on your computer (although I wouldn't be able to tell you where). I just can't see a cable modem messing up your images. But, stranger things have happened I suppose.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Well, I have gotten into doing some tests and I can grab a photo off of the internet or my camera and it looks fine. I can then attatch it to an email and it still looks good. I send it to my email address and I get it back all messed up. My email attatchment are arriving at other email address botched up as well. The look fine until they are uploaded. I just erased the hard drive and installed Panther and the problem is still happening. The problem is ghastly when sending images to .mac. Any ideas?

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
My next test is to try sending jpegs via my local coffee shop's wireless connection. If that works we can say it was my connection perhaps.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by Coca-Cola
My next test is to try sending jpegs via my local coffee shop's wireless connection. If that works we can say it was my connection perhaps.
Look, if your Internet connection were so bad as to scramble your pictures, then it would be so bad as to scramble your connection. You wouldn't be able to make an Internet connection in the first place. The network doesn't see pictures. All it sees are bit streams. The only logical explanation for your "problem" is software. The most likely culprit is your email client's attachment coder or decoder. Try a different email client.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Okay, you were right. It is software. I just tried my laptop and it works fine. Strange. So How do I fix the email coder decoder on the old computer? Thanks for your help.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Help me

Hi, again, I am still having problems. I am using Panther and using Mail. iphoto causes the same problem. When adding jpegs to my sharing folder for the web they get scrambled up, but small mp3's work fine. My email text is fine as well, it happens with images mostly. I did download a photo to spymac's member galleries and it came out fine. Weird. I have no clue. Help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.