PDA

View Full Version : 20" or 24" for Pro Tools

joe.cavers
Sep 18, 2008, 06:28 AM
Hey guys,

I'm buying a new iMac soon to use solely as an audio workstation with Pro Tools and Ableton Live for some small project work. Basically I'm wondering if the 20" will be enough space? With Pro Tools I usually only have the Edit window open, and maybe one or 2 plugin windows (Hybrid, Xpand, Smack, EQ3). I've been using Reason a lot but I'm trying to get out of using it (it sounds tired).

At the end of the day, I kinda need this mac soon for University (which starts next week) but I was interested to see what other audio users had to say on the subject. I know the real answer here is if you need it, buy it. If you don't wait, but still.....

Cheers
JC

junior
Sep 18, 2008, 06:45 AM
I use a 24" screen in the studio. It's just nicer to be able to see more channels when mixing, plus editing is easier as well when you can have big wave forms showing on multiple channels.
If you can afford it, get 24". Or you could always get a nice plugin or two for the price difference if you opt for 20".

WinterMute
Sep 18, 2008, 07:43 AM
Get the 24 and buy a second one for the mix page!!

Seriously, the more screen real estate you have the happier you'll be, a second monitor, however small is very useful.

zimv20
Sep 18, 2008, 11:47 AM
maybe i'm still getting used to my 24" monitor, but i think i could get by fine w/ 20". then again, i'm coming from years of using a 15" monitor :-)

3rdpath
Sep 18, 2008, 03:50 PM
i run a pair of 22" acers that i picked up for around $215 each...love the real estate. i do run a 24" on one of my home systems...it's nice but gets crowded quite quickly.

frankly, i'd buy a 3rd 22" if i had room for it...

BCains
Sep 18, 2008, 07:02 PM
Get the 24 and buy a second one for the mix page!!

^ Agreed.

IMO 20" is sufficient, especially coming from the 15" MBP.
But defiantly the second monitor for the mix window!

If you can budget the 24" get it, or the 20" plus some studio goodies.

mcmacintyre
Sep 24, 2008, 10:21 PM
do everything in your pwoer to get the 24
you won't regret!
if you get the 20, you'll always be wondering 'what if'