PDA

View Full Version : Brief thoughts on Mike Rowe vs. Microsoft, from Geek Patrol

MacBytes
Jan 20, 2004, 11:13 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Brief thoughts on Mike Rowe vs. Microsoft, from Geek Patrol (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040121001338)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Nermal
Jan 20, 2004, 11:16 PM
And honestly, I'd be a little annoyed if I was Microsoft as well, after all the guy could conceivably benefit from their marketing dollars.

I think he's benefiting from their legal dollars. If MS hadn't kicked up a fuss, Mike Rowe would be an unknown. Now that they've got everyone's attention, people sympathise with the guy and he may very well benefit from it.

Doctor Q
Jan 20, 2004, 11:31 PM
The author of the comments is exactly right. Mike Rowe took the first shot and Microsoft probably had to respond. I'm surprised they even offered to buy the domain, rather than just saying "you used our name; cease and desist".

Now what happens if somebody names their child Mike Rosoft and he wants domain MikeRosoft.com? That would be a less obvious case of intentional use of a trademarked name. You could imagine the same situation with any number of names and companies. Hey, meet my kids: Roxio, Oracle, and cute little MacRumors Dot Com!

redAPPLE
Jan 21, 2004, 02:58 AM
the guy who is (or will be) named "mike rosoft" is gonna end up damned! :D

Sabenth
Jan 21, 2004, 04:28 AM
Look at it this way you copyright your name trademark it. you pay a crap load for the honour of having that name its yours. if you cant tell the diffrince between Microsoft and Mikerowesoft you got issues.. or you need to learn to speak english better or read it better :)

This kids done wrong but so has MS so they both idiots simple

1macker1
Jan 21, 2004, 09:08 AM
They had to respond in a certain amount of time. But the guy is getting what he wanted, web hits. Now he'll change the domain name to something new, and he'll be loved for what he did. Sad sad affair.

mrsebastian
Jan 21, 2004, 04:38 PM
i don't understand how m$ could possibly think that people are gonna go to mikerowesoft.com to look at their products! however, he named not only his website, but also his company specifically to mimic m$ for whatever reason and though i hate m$, they're right. what's really stupid of them though, is to offer him $10. it's alot more expensive when you factor in changing stationery, web banners, etc. m$ could have given him a hundred bucks and it would have been done and they could have easily turned it into some good publicity for themselves. something like, m$ asks 17 year old mike rowe to not use their name phonetically. in an effort to help him, m$ has offered to help pay for his new stationery and a new domain name.

Doctor Q
Jan 21, 2004, 07:09 PM
Was this already posted? link (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5143614.html)

Microsoft now says it may have been overaggressive in threatening Mike Rowe.

nagromme
Jan 21, 2004, 09:18 PM
Even if the law is on MS's side (and given the kid's actual name... I wouldn't be so sure--IF the kid could afford lawyers the same as MS), that doesn't mean the kid did anything intentionally wrong.

Do people really think this was all some scam of his? He didn't ask for ANY money until AFTER MS attacked him AND after they offered him money--the $10 insult.

He's been very clear about the whole thing, and I find his explanation quite believable: he got the name as a pun on his name. Nothing more was intended.

People look for evil schemes... sometimes the simplest explanation is worth a look. The kid came up with a clever name that doesn't hurt MS one bit, and he was in no way "planning" this whole controversy just to get hits he didn't even want (his provider dropped him for having too many hits in fact). The outcome MAY be something MS had to pursue legally--and did so badly--but blaming the kid seems unreasonable to me.

slipper
Jan 21, 2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
Hey, meet my kids: Roxio, Oracle, and cute little MacRumors Dot Com! lol good one