Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omnikurt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I encoded a file using the handbrake ipod default and can't get it to transfer to either an ipod (brand new orange one) or an iphone. It imported into iTunes fine, and is playable there. I think I used to the correct resolutions but I'm not sure... In handbrake, I set the output for 640 x 272 (widescreen movie) with an average bit rate of 1,500kbps.

I re-encoded it with a setting of 320 x 136 at an average bit rate of 1,500kbps, and it transferred OK. Shouldn't I be able to use the 640 x 480 resolution though?

Both files report a total bit rate of 1,670kbps when I click "get info" in iTunes.

Any ideas what could be going on?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I encoded a file using the handbrake ipod default and can't get it to transfer to either an ipod (brand new orange one) or an iphone. It imported into iTunes fine, and is playable there. I think I used to the correct resolutions but I'm not sure... In handbrake, I set the output for 640 x 272 (widescreen movie) with an average bit rate of 1,500kbps.

I re-encoded it with a setting of 320 x 136 at an average bit rate of 1,500kbps, and it transferred OK. Shouldn't I be able to use the 640 x 480 resolution though?

Both files report a total bit rate of 1,670kbps when I click "get info" in iTunes.

Any ideas what could be going on?

By your description of "orange", I'm guessing you have the new iPod Nano. If so, you have a 320x240 screen and that's why 640x480 doesn't work.

Someone can probably elaborate further on this because I've never really used my iPods for video (strictly audio for them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.