Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I am a novice when it comes to digital audio. I have never used a midi controller before. And my only experience with production has been limited to using Sony Acid on my PC to do some track layouts and minor editing.

I will be buying a Macbook Pro soon, and am looking to get more involved in digital audio/production/creation.

I am a hip-hop/electronica junkie, so I want to be able to make my own beats and whatnot, and emulate my fav. artists. :D (el-p, daft punk, digitalism, etc). I've made a few in the past on Acid, using their loops and such, and they turned out okay. I'm interested in some sort of midi controler that I can use to make my own beats. I've been looking at these two...

Akai MPC-500
Akai MPD-24

From my research, the mpc-500 has sounds built into it, and can act as an instrument on its own. plus, it can act as a midi controler when hooked up to a computer. (i think...)

the mpd-24 is a midi controler only, and will only trigger sounds in a program on the computer (i think...)

my question is, which one is recomended for someone starting out? I like the mpc-500 since it can act on its own, but will the mpd-24 suffice for what i am wanting to do?

anyone own any of these and care to comment?? Thanks for the help and input!!!

mike1123

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Do you just want to make beats? If not, maybe get a MIDI keyboard controller with pads on it like the M-Audio Axiom.

kidkaprie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
im looking to make beats, remix's, and possibly my own full fledged songs.

something as simple as a drum backing for me to play guitar to, or using it to sample my guitar.

im not really sure. i think i need to goto guitar center or something and check them out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.