Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Specs: 1st gen/4 gig

I need serious help! I'm am not certain if my issues stem from the recent update or not... but my phone when out while at work today. The screen would go white and then nothing... No response from a reset etc. I borrowed a coworkers USB cord from his I phone and restored it.... The phone worked fine for about an hour and it went back out again. i attempted another restore and it was noe responsive. Itunes detected the phone and attempted a restore again but the phone itself was not responsive to touch etc (black screen).

A few hours later... I come home thinking my mac would solve the issue and no dice. The phone was restored however the screen is INVERTED. The screen is hazy and washed out and everything on the screen is as of you are looking at it from the reverse side. I am seriously stumped and haven't seen anyone else with this particular issue.

Please help me get my phone back to normal working condition! This was a gift from a friend who picked up a 3g. What are my warrantee options if any?

Thanks again! -Hugo

xob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Sounds like a software glitch. How old is the iPhone? Hopefully it's still under the one year limited warranty. Mine did something similar and they replaced it after four months.:(

It's seems to be software related but wouldn't a fresh install remedy that? :confused:

xob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
It's seems to be software related but wouldn't a fresh install remedy that? :confused:

It runs a bit now but reverts to a white screen. I've had 2 months of error free use from the phone and today, it goes ape **** all of a sudden.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
That sounds awesome. Can you take a picture?

Also, do a screenshot, so we know what the iPhone sees. If it's inverted in the screenshot, it's a software problem.

xob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
That sounds awesome. Can you take a picture?

Also, do a screenshot, so we know what the iPhone sees. If it's inverted in the screenshot, it's a software problem.

How does one take a screen shot? If it returns to that inverted state, I'll take one. Currently, the ihone is going back to it's previous unresponsive mode. I am wondering if one my apps is to blame? One of the apps combined with the 2.1 update?

How I can I restore the iphone back to it's pre 2.1 condition?

xob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2006
Screenshot is done by pressing Home button and pressing the on/off button, screenshot will go to your camera roll.

Thanks for the help. all. Phone is dead.. except to itunes which seems to think everything is as it should be. Its seems as if the screen is not responding to the rest of the phone...

The nearest Apple store is quite a haul way however there is an ATT store that sells the iPhones nearby. Has anyone had good experience when dealing with ATT store in these sorts of matters? Are they able to troubleshoot?

When I received the phone from my friend, I had to extend my preexisting contract by two years and obviously upgrade to the date plan. If the phone I have is dead and not covered under warrantee, am I going to be able to take advantage of the lower price still? -Hugo

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Thanks for the help. all. Phone is dead.. except to itunes which seems to think everything is as it should be. Its seems as if the screen is not responding to the rest of the phone...

The nearest Apple store is quite a haul way however there is an ATT store that sells the iPhones nearby. Has anyone had good experience when dealing with ATT store in these sorts of matters? Are they able to troubleshoot?

When I received the phone from my friend, I had to extend my preexisting contract by two years and obviously upgrade to the date plan. If the phone I have is dead and not covered under warrantee, am I going to be able to take advantage of the lower price still? -Hugo
When all else fails, DFU the damn thing.

zachstevedave

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
my screen is inverted!!

I updated to 3.0 and replaced the ear speaker the other day. Replacing the ear speaker doesn't require removing the screen.
My phone is now inverted. The start up screen has a black apple with a white background. All the colors are opposite, and it is very difficult to use.
Do you have any suggestions? I have tried the screen in another iphone with the same results. How would an LCD invert?
It looks just like the 3gs feature under accessibility that allows you to invert your screen, but my 2g doesn't have that menu option
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.