PDA

View Full Version : Jobs to Speak at D: All Things Digital

MacRumors
Jan 21, 2004, 09:50 AM
Steve Jobs will be speaking again at the Wall Street Journal's D: All Things Digital (http://d.wsj.com/) conference which takes place from June 6-8 2004.

According to the All Things Digital site (http://d.wsj.com/):

For our second edition of D: All Things Digital, you'll still find...

No bloviating panels. No canned presentations. No conflict-laden analysts. And, of course, no PowerPoint allowed.

What you will discover: Important news. Valuable advice. Top digital leaders. Exciting networking opportunities. Fascinating demos.

Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steve Jobs (Apple) and Carly Fiorina (HP) are amongst the many speakers (http://d.wsj.com/speakers/) scheduled.

Steve Jobs spoke at the same conference (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/05/20030529030024.shtml) last year, and offered his thoughts on PDAs, Cell Phones and Video iPods.

AirUncleP
Jan 21, 2004, 09:57 AM
Has Steve ever announced new Apple products at this event?

jholzner
Jan 21, 2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by AirUncleP

I don't think so...this is only the second time he has ever attended and it appears to be an interview style speech and not a keynote.

Mudbug
Jan 21, 2004, 10:08 AM
This would be neither the time nor the place for a product introduction. This is more a "state of the union" if you will, in regards to how Jobs sees his own company in the digital world.

Foxer
Jan 21, 2004, 10:11 AM
No. It's more a state-of-the-industry thing. Interesting and all, but not a forum for anything like a product roll-outs. Last years happened almost simultaneously with the WWDC, which was used to roll out new products (panther, G5, iSight, etc).

edit: Looks like mudbug and I were thinking all the same lines.

Other.au
Jan 21, 2004, 10:22 AM
Last Conference he seemed to analyise what was within grasp of being produced in the near future.

He will not be releasing products, but rather giving us clues as to the direction Apple might be taking, clues as to what market apple might like to get into - e.g. tablets/projectors.

I suspect this year will be very similar to last year.

macFanDave
Jan 21, 2004, 10:25 AM
Won't he break out with the shakes and get a full-blown case of the "flop sweats?"

AirUncleP
Jan 21, 2004, 10:34 AM
I wonder if he'll have a Pepsi in front of him.

Photorun
Jan 21, 2004, 10:50 AM
I'd like to see Jobs and Gates on the stage together, maybe in a cage, maybe a cage match. Provided Jobs punches for the face it'll be a beat down, he shouldn't go for the gut, Gates has too much, uh, padding down there). And boy would it be fun to see Gates cry.

virividox
Jan 21, 2004, 10:57 AM
in a 1 on 1 fight, jobs will have his reality distortion field so that will throw of gates pretty bad, but i dunno underneath that exterior gates may have something hidden.

jobs is really a great speaker, unlike the current ceo of microsoft steve balmer hehe who is just a mad man

IJ Reilly
Jan 21, 2004, 11:14 AM
This is a very exclusive event, apparently. Last year I inquired about media access, but got no reply from the organizers. I also did not see any media coverage of last year's conference, even in the major outlets. So no, this is not a product roll-out opportunity. It's more like a "Renaissance Weekend" for big-ticket wireheads. I'd imagine most of the speakers are pretty coy in their presentations. No way is Steve Jobs going to tip his hand with Bill Gates in the room.

macFanDave
Jan 21, 2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
Last year I inquired about media access, but got no reply from the organizers.

Maybe it's personal, Ignatius. With your ridiculous hunting cap, pyloric sphincter, obscure medieval references and the trouble you caused at Levy Pants, no sane person would want you around! ;-)

I can just see Jobs speaking and Gates in the front row repeatedly saying, "Megadittoes, Rush, I mean, Steve!"

Maxx Power
Jan 21, 2004, 04:10 PM
Is there anyway i can get the G5 to erase rewritable discs (CD-RW), it writes fine, but will not, under any program, erase.

greenstork
Jan 21, 2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by AirUncleP

I think your post is an indication of how hopping the rumormill is today, woohooo.

Trimix
Jan 22, 2004, 12:18 AM
Interesting, SJ will be fascinating, BG boring, but amusing in a geekish sort of way, but Fiorina ? Who ever wants to listen to her ? How she continues to misread the market, or destroy shareholder value, or sees her only rescue in mergers and acquisitions ? Urrgh, get movers and shakers out there, not bland imitators.

IJ Reilly
Jan 22, 2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by macFanDave
Maybe it's personal, Ignatius. With your ridiculous hunting cap, pyloric sphincter, obscure medieval references and the trouble you caused at Levy Pants, no sane person would want you around! ;-)

Thankfully, not everyone is sane.