Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Steve Jobs will be speaking again at the Wall Street Journal's D: All Things Digital conference which takes place from June 6-8 2004.

According to the All Things Digital site:

For our second edition of D: All Things Digital, you'll still find...

No bloviating panels. No canned presentations. No conflict-laden analysts. And, of course, no PowerPoint allowed.

What you will discover: Important news. Valuable advice. Top digital leaders. Exciting networking opportunities. Fascinating demos.

Bill Gates (Microsoft), Steve Jobs (Apple) and Carly Fiorina (HP) are amongst the many speakers scheduled.

Steve Jobs spoke at the same conference last year, and offered his thoughts on PDAs, Cell Phones and Video iPods.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by AirUncleP
Has Steve ever announced new Apple products at this event?

I don't think so...this is only the second time he has ever attended and it appears to be an interview style speech and not a keynote.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
This would be neither the time nor the place for a product introduction. This is more a "state of the union" if you will, in regards to how Jobs sees his own company in the digital world.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
No. It's more a state-of-the-industry thing. Interesting and all, but not a forum for anything like a product roll-outs. Last years happened almost simultaneously with the WWDC, which was used to roll out new products (panther, G5, iSight, etc).

edit: Looks like mudbug and I were thinking all the same lines.

Other.au

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
Sydney Aus
Last Conference he seemed to analyise what was within grasp of being produced in the near future.

He will not be releasing products, but rather giving us clues as to the direction Apple might be taking, clues as to what market apple might like to get into - e.g. tablets/projectors.

I suspect this year will be very similar to last year.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Gates without PowerPoint?!

Won't he break out with the shakes and get a full-blown case of the "flop sweats?"

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
I'd like to see Jobs and Gates on the stage together, maybe in a cage, maybe a cage match. Provided Jobs punches for the face it'll be a beat down, he shouldn't go for the gut, Gates has too much, uh, padding down there). And boy would it be fun to see Gates cry.

in a 1 on 1 fight, jobs will have his reality distortion field so that will throw of gates pretty bad, but i dunno underneath that exterior gates may have something hidden.

jobs is really a great speaker, unlike the current ceo of microsoft steve balmer hehe who is just a mad man

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
This is a very exclusive event, apparently. Last year I inquired about media access, but got no reply from the organizers. I also did not see any media coverage of last year's conference, even in the major outlets. So no, this is not a product roll-out opportunity. It's more like a "Renaissance Weekend" for big-ticket wireheads. I'd imagine most of the speakers are pretty coy in their presentations. No way is Steve Jobs going to tip his hand with Bill Gates in the room.

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
Last year I inquired about media access, but got no reply from the organizers.

Maybe it's personal, Ignatius. With your ridiculous hunting cap, pyloric sphincter, obscure medieval references and the trouble you caused at Levy Pants, no sane person would want you around! ;-)

I can just see Jobs speaking and Gates in the front row repeatedly saying, "Megadittoes, Rush, I mean, Steve!"

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
Speaking of which

Is there anyway i can get the G5 to erase rewritable discs (CD-RW), it writes fine, but will not, under any program, erase.

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
Interesting, SJ will be fascinating, BG boring, but amusing in a geekish sort of way, but Fiorina ? Who ever wants to listen to her ? How she continues to misread the market, or destroy shareholder value, or sees her only rescue in mergers and acquisitions ? Urrgh, get movers and shakers out there, not bland imitators.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Originally posted by macFanDave
Maybe it's personal, Ignatius. With your ridiculous hunting cap, pyloric sphincter, obscure medieval references and the trouble you caused at Levy Pants, no sane person would want you around! ;-)

Thankfully, not everyone is sane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.