Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
If I've put this in the wrong place or the wrong forum altogether I'll apologize in advance ;)

I have my own domain name and had done my own website from a software programme (basically for dummies). Obviously uploading it was just a click. I have now (I hope) deleted the whole previous upload and want to now upload with the pages I've been working on with iweb, but I have no idea of what I'm doing :( I have saved them to a folder which is sitting on my desktop.

I'm having to do a diy version as I can't afford to pay anyone to do it for me. Please could someone take pity on a complete doofuss where websites are concerned? :eek: Here's hoping

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
You need an FTP program to let you upload the files to the root folder that your domain name is pointing to on your server. My favorite free FTP program is Cyber Duck. You will need to enter the information for ftp provided to you by your hosting service.

You DO have hosting, right? Because you need someone to host your files, besides just owning a domain name.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
You need an FTP program to let you upload the files to the root folder .

Careful with your wording there when giving advice like this, you can get newbies to really thrash their file system. The correct term is "document root" which is whatever directory is associated as the base path for the web site, as configured in the web server.

The "root" path is the system root, the highest level of the document tree on the entire system. 99% of the time newbies won't have root access so no issue, but 1% might have a VPS or dedicated server with root access and little experience. They will upload stuff into the root path at minimum making them come back here and asking for more help or at maximum they thrash some important files and the server becomes unstable or inaccessible. That 1% can cause you grief, believe me.

-jim

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
You need an FTP program to let you upload the files to the root folder that your domain name is pointing to on your server. My favorite free FTP program is Cyber Duck. You will need to enter the information for ftp provided to you by your hosting service.

You DO have hosting, right? Because you need someone to host your files, besides just owning a domain name.

Hi. Yes I do have hosting as my site has been live since June. I have used the cyberduck and the w2w but I must be doing something wrong as although it says it's uploaded nothing is there, or I've deleted things I shouldn't have :(
Thank you for trying anyway...think I'll have to get some help somewhere.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
Careful with your wording there when giving advice like this, you can get newbies to really thrash their file system. The correct term is "document root" which is whatever directory is associated as the base path for the web site, as configured in the web server.

You're right, and I appreciate your clarification. I tried to be accurate in lay terms by including the second part "that your domain name is pointing to on your server," but it is good that you interjected more accuracy for the thread's sake.

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
As previously mentioned I've tried cyberduck and w2w.

So the site I made in Serif web 10 I uploaded again and there it is live again. So I then tried uploading my iWeb one which I was told would over-ride the previous one and...nothing. Any idea's what I could be doing wrong?

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
Dammit...this was one of the reasons in me going for the iMac was the iWeb function and now it's useless as I cannot upload it. :mad:

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
As previously mentioned I've tried cyberduck and w2w.

So the site I made in Serif web 10 I uploaded again and there it is live again. So I then tried uploading my iWeb one which I was told would over-ride the previous one and...nothing. Any idea's what I could be doing wrong?

Well, it won't write over the previous one unless all the file names are the same and you 'ok' the over write. I'm wondering if you have your homepage titled "index.html" - that is where browsers will look first for your beginning page. If non of your pages are named that, your site might be 'up' but you don't see it when you go to http://www.yourdomain.com because of the lack of 'index.html.' However, if you went to http://www.youdomain.com/one_of_your_page_names.html you might see it.

Another thought would be if you are uploading the individual pages, or all the pages including whatever enclosing folder they are in. The second option would make it look like this: http://www.yourdomain.com/folder/index.html. This also means you wouldn't see anything when you go to the plain old .com of your url.

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
Well, it won't write over the previous one unless all the file names are the same and you 'ok' the over write. I'm wondering if you have your homepage titled "index.html" - that is where browsers will look first for your beginning page. If non of your pages are named that, your site might be 'up' but you don't see it when you go to http://www.yourdomain.com because of the lack of 'index.html.' However, if you went to http://www.youdomain.com/one_of_your_page_names.html you might see it.

Another thought would be if you are uploading the individual pages, or all the pages including whatever enclosing folder they are in. The second option would make it look like this: http://www.yourdomain.com/folder/index.html. This also means you wouldn't see anything when you go to the plain old .com of your url.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply but I fear I am completely out of my depth and am going to have to get some serious help as I have no idea about folders/files etc. As I said everything is there as it was before so that makes the Serif web 10 programme pretty good for a newbie like me. However I did do everything the iweb site told me too ie publish to folder and then I downloaded the cyberduck and w2w (which I found easier) and it says it's uploaded it, if I go to my control panel at my server I can see the folder and the index.html which is separate so have no idea what to do next.

Do I perhaps need to go delete everything of the old website? Would that help?

Chef55

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
U.K.
Update: there was nothing more needed than to go to my domain control panel..delete everything..then upload my iWeb site thru W2W and hey presto it's all working fine. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.