Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I am a system admin at a 600+ employees company with all windows and some linux (VMWare ESX 3.x). I am in charge of all our SQL servers (6 MS SQL 2005) and Backup servers running Windows.

I converted to Apple last August when I purchased my 24" iMac. I find no need what so ever to run bootcamp or fusion or any other virtualization software on my mac. I even went as far as configuring bootcamp on my iMac just to erase it after 2 hours.

OS X either has everything built in or there are windows equivalent programs that are IMO better then their windows counterparts. Remember now I am speaking from a home computing perspective not hardcore gaming/business point of view. For home computing I think the virtualization software is a waste of resources. OS X is such a powerful OS and there are hundreds of thousands of programs out there that will pretty much satisfy your every need.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Yes, but it is very useful for testing websites on IE for the small start-up.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Often, there are many programs you'll only use once or twice that are Windows exclusive. I keep a partition around to update my phone's firmware, or play the occasional game, but that's about it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What exe files do you need to run?

I think antiretroviral medications are useless because I don't have HIV. :confused:

Seriously... I love that you're trying to help other people see how much they can get done on OS X, but... if people want to virtualize and/or have a use for virtualization at home, is it really necessary to start a thread to criticize them?

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Remember the point of Bootcamp is to let Windows user switch gradually and make them brave enough to make the leap while maintaining a safety net. If they find after the switch that they don't need Windows, like you, then great.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I dissagree

I think there are people with different needs, wants, desires and abilities in this world. Not your, nor anyone, can be representative of everyone.

And two counterpoints: games, quicken

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
What exe files do you need to run?

Well, i needed to upgrade the firmware on my girlfriend's Parrot Blutooth hands-free car phone kit, and on her 8310 Blackberry, cause there was a problem with one or the other, meaning they wouldn't pair.

Rim don't offer a Mac desktop manager to allow re-install of the BBcod files,
and PArrot don't offer a Mac version of their Btooth updater.

Answer, run XP in VMWare, and now have updated both...

I'm sure thater are other examples.

I DO notice, that RIM are talking about providing a preoper Mac tool for the above, but we can't wait for another 3 months.

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I strongly doubt that anyone would go to the trouble of loading bootcamp/Windows etc if they didn't find a need for it. Sure there are people that like to tinker, but for the most part, people acquire things when they need them.

Great that the OP can do without, but there are so many reasons why home users might need windows, even if just to transition their core needs. The line between home and business use has become pretty blurry for many people and it's doubtful many machines don't do double duty.

No way I can live without Windows until the business programs switch over, but for basic "home" use I'm usually in OS X mainly because the battery lasts longer v. in boot camp. My son (14 y/o)uses my MBP quite a bit, and he bounces between both os's depending on his needs too.

Having the choice is great...ymmv.

Mark

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Running Windows via VMWare or Parallels allows me to run Office 2003 or 2007 which is need for instructing others on the use of these office suites. Unfortunately, the Mac versions don't look or work the same.

I also run some other programs that are not available for the Mac.

Additionally, there are some exe apps out there that are pure fun that won't run under the Mac OS.

However, for the most part, most everything one needs is available on the Mac. I like the flexibility of being able to choose. And now, instead of carrying two laptops (PC and Mac), with the Intel based MBPs I can carry just one laptop which is very nice for me.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Do you really, really want me to list all the games for Windows that I have. :eek:

I'm not going to pick MacHomeworld if I want to relive the 1999 Game of the Year.

You said Handbrake and Office and I use both of those programs in their OS X versions everyday.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You said Handbrake and Office and I use both of those programs in their OS X versions everyday.
Why would I run HandBrake on my Macbook and fry it when I have my quad core desktop?

I'd love to run Office 2008 solely but it doesn't handle all the documents that I get.

Do you really want me to list all the games I have? Not to mention the wonderful EMR software I need to run.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I don't know but I guess it's just me. I think that by putting windows on my mac I will taint it some how. To me the whole mac experience is a learning one. If I am going to buy a mac just to get home and throw Windows on it then just why not just buy a Windows PC then. Virtualization for businesses is a great thing I just think that for regular everyday home use it is just a waste of money and resources again this is my personal feel about it that's all. I just think as being a power user like I am OS X has plenty of options, that I feel Windows is not necessary.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't know but I guess it's just me. I think that by putting windows on my mac I will taint it some how. To me the whole mac experience is a learning one. If I am going to buy a mac just to get home and throw Windows on it then just why not just buy a Windows PC then. Virtualization for businesses is a great thing I just think that for regular everyday home use it is just a waste of money and resources again this is my personal feel about it that's all. I just think as being a power user like I am OS X has plenty of options, that I feel Windows is not necessary.
It's just an operating system. I use OS X and Windows because they let me run the applications that I need to run. Sadly I can't just pick one operating system since I'd miss out on being able to get my work done and relaxing with some games or nostalgia.

I'd be out of a job if I didn't maintain my application knowledge and problem solving skills on the Windows side. Keep in mind it's very good to maintain problem solving skills in general.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Why would I run HandBrake on my Macbook and fry it when I have my quad core desktop?

I'd love to run Office 2008 solely but it doesn't handle all the documents that I get.

Do you really want me to list all the games I have? Not to mention the wonderful EMR software I need to run.

You would be obviously exempt from this since you have multiple desktops not everyone does and I am willing to bet that it's a very small minority that do. Also I stated in my original post that games and business stuff were the only other things I would leave out.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You would be obviously exempt from this since you have multiple desktops not everyone does and I am willing to bet that it's a very small minority that do. Also I stated in my original post that games and business stuff were the only other things I would leave out.
I was only willing to give Apple another $1,000 on my Macbook after discounts.

My desktop came in around $600 last year. I wasn't going to spend $2,000 on a MacBook Pro to have OS X and "game" on a laptop.

I don't see any budget quad core laptops on the market either. I spent my money on leveraging the hardware that I could get for the price on the Windows side. My processor was only $179 for a quad core. I have an adequate cooling system as well that lets me hit 3.0 GHz as well.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I was only willing to give Apple another $1,000 on my Macbook after discounts.

My desktop came in around $600 last year. I wasn't going to spend $2,000 on a MacBook Pro to have OS X and "game" on a laptop.

I don't see any budget quad core laptops on the market either. I spent my money on leveraging the hardware that I could get for the price on the Windows side. My processor was only $179 for a quad core. I have an adequate cooling system as well that lets me hit 3.0 GHz as well.

Again you are not in the norm. Regular Joe Shmo that goes to Best Buy to buy computers, they are most likely 90% of computer shoppers out there are not custom building their PC's. Of course I or a lot of people can custom build a PC that will be cheaper then any Apple or Dell or what ever. But that is not the norm we are a minority believe it or not.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Again you are not in the norm. Regular Joe Shmo that goes to Best Buy to buy computers, they are most likely 90% of computer shoppers out there are not custom building their PC's. Of course I or a lot of people can custom build a PC that will be cheaper then any Apple or Dell or what ever. But that is not the norm we are a minority believe it or not.
What's wrong with Joe Schmo using virtualization then?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
When Apple came out with bootcamp... they hit a homerun. Now a windows user couldn't say... "if I switch to a mac, I won't be able to run all the windows software I bought over the years." It is a big selling point to the switchers... most of whom don't know as much as you do... being in the IT profession.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
When Apple came out with bootcamp... they hit a homerun. Now a windows user couldn't say... "if I switch to a mac, I won't be able to run all the windows software I bought over the years." It is a big selling point to the switchers... most of whom don't know as much as you do... being in the IT profession.

Very true because that was the same thing I thought when I first switched over I am not arguing that at all. But after switching and seeing how everything just worked and greatly at that, I have not looked back since. Obviously I still have my Dell at work only because I have to have it as a company policy of all Dell crap.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I agree with the OP that OS X is a powerful OS that really does have anything and everything you could want (gaming is not included in this cause Macs don't do games, cause there aren't any, unless you want to play Maelstrom in which I will destroy anyone at. Still).

Though I cannot endorse Office for Mac, it really sucks. I mean, really isn't good. What I'm trying to say is its terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.