PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Advice on LCD and Speakers

rajs
Jan 21, 2004, 11:36 AM
Hello I am going to purchase a new PowerMac G5 in (Dual 1.8) in the next day or two. I am from the PC world for years -- but decided to get a Mac for home now. I have a couple of PC laptops at home already that I use when forced to.

NOTE: I am not interested in waiting indefinitely for Apple to release new PowerMacs or new LCD Displays. Also I will be able to get the Apple Educational Discount for Apple items.

1. What LCD would you recommend -- I want something that does better then 1280 x 1024 -- thus I am considering anything above 19" LCDs. I have a budget of up to ~ 2000 for the display.

2. I understand that the PowerMacs come with an optical out for audio. I want to get some quality speakers to listen to my music in my room. I do not want 4.1 or 5.1 or 6.1 type systems -- I will be more then happy with a 2.1 system for music as that is all I really intend to have as far as sound goes. What would be the best sounding purchase you could recommend in this area. I would of course prefer it if the component(s) recommended can leverage the optical audio out feed from the PowerMac for the signal.

BTW -- THe way I am thinking of configuring the PowerMac is as follows -- please feel free to make recommendations if you think I am making a big mistake somewhere.

PowerMac G5 -- Dual 1.8
Apple RAM -- 512 MB
Crucial RAM -- Another 512 MB
HD -- 160 GB
Video -- ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with 64 MB RAM (I figure the extra 45 bucks is worth it over the basic NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 card -- but the extra 315 buck for the 9800 Pro isn't worth it currently as new cards with better capabilities will come out in the next six months or so -- that I can upgrade to easily at that time.

Display -- Looking for your advice -- otherwise I will probably end up getting either the 20" or 23" LCD from Apple. (I only want one monitor)

Airport Card
Bluetooth Module
56K Faxmodem
iSight
Speakers -- Looking for your recommendations as per above specs

Considering getting the following also -- please advise

.Mac plan
and
AppleCare Protection Plan

Thanks for your time.

- rajs

invaLPsion
Jan 21, 2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by rajs

NOTE: I am not interested in waiting indefinitely for Apple to release new PowerMacs or new LCD Displays. Also I will be able to get the Apple Educational Discount for Apple items.

- rajs

I am in the same boat as you. I can get the education discount, and I too am not interested in waiting indefinitely. However, for the sake of your future sanity I beg you to wait at least another week to see if the new ones will come out, or else you will be regreting the decision to buy the time you did for a while. I bought the 700 MHz iMac G3 only a week before MWSF 2002. I was not happy with myself at all...

rajs
Jan 21, 2004, 04:02 PM
Hi -- Thanks for the advice -- I thought about the same thing ... and I figured if Apple does come out with new stuff the prices on the existing will drop. Apple has a 10 to 14 day price protection that they talk about on their website -- which I have posted below:

PRICES
The Apple Store endeavors to offer you competitive prices on current Apple products and selected refurbished and clearance products. Your total order price will include the price of the product (on the day of shipping) plus any applicable sales tax and shipping charges. Apple reserves the right to change prices for products displayed at the Apple Store at any time.

Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment.

invaLPsion
Jan 21, 2004, 04:25 PM
Damn, i wish I new that at the time, though it really didn't matter because they just discontinued the iMac CRT entirely.

bannedagain
Jan 21, 2004, 04:32 PM
On the speakers front, go for a Hi-Fi floor standing speaker, not a multimedia speaker. Get a good amp and make use of that optical audio out.

As many know I've been plugging the Energy C5's. If you've got that cash though buy the C7's or C9's. www.energy-speakers.com

The system you have thought out though sounds pretty good:D

rajs
Jan 21, 2004, 04:42 PM
BannedAgain -- Any recommendations on an amp with SPIF Optical In that you would recommend. Also thanks for the pointer in the direction of those speakers -- I will look into them.

bannedagain
Jan 21, 2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by rajs
BannedAgain -- Any recommendations on an amp with SPIF Optical In that you would recommend. Also thanks for the pointer in the direction of those speakers -- I will look into them.

If you buy the Energy C5/7/9's you wont be disapointed, and of that I assure you.

I'm currently paying off a Yamaha RX-1300 AV Reciever to replace my ageing NAD 7020. The model is 2 or so years old but, I'm buying brand new with warrenty and all the trimmings. Go to your local Hi-Fi store and have a look in the 'discontinued item's' area for superseeded amps. You get great deals on top notch components.

I recomend these brands (Yamaha, NAD, Rotel, Onkyo, Marantz and maybe Pioneer) I know there are many other quality brands but these are my prefrence.
Don't even think of Sony or Panasonic for quality amps.

good luck, PM me if you have any other questions.