PDA

View Full Version : iTunes might not be only answer to ending piracy

MacBytes
Jan 21, 2004, 02:51 PM
Category: Apple Software
Link: iTunes might not be only answer to ending piracy (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040121155139)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

0 and A ai
Jan 21, 2004, 03:06 PM
Magnatudes business model will never work on a large scale such as the itunes music store.

jMc
Jan 21, 2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 0 and A ai
Magnatudes business model will never work on a large scale such as the itunes music store.

I completely agree - although I'd like to believe in the idea that people are willing to support the artist, I have a tiny feeling that the majority may just be interested in what's cheapest... or even just continue stealing it.

jx

suntzu
Jan 21, 2004, 03:54 PM
It's a very interesting perspective on the situation. I agree on some of the points he brings up but on others I think he missed the ball.

I agree that people want to compensate artists for their music but a lot of us hate the recording industries. I mentioned in a post (on some bulletin board) that the record companies are acting as they are because they can see the situation going south and benefiting the artist more than hurting them. If artists sold music directly, the record companies wouldn't get the percentage that they currently do. When those ads ran about not stealing music, I wanted to tell those artists that they're the ones getting robbed. That it's not as black and white an issue as the RIAA makes it out to be.

I disagree however about how Apple's model is just ho-hum. Apple has done something that reflects a new product level that is evident in store today. Music isn't what it used to be. Paying the amount they're asking for is too much for what you get. DVD's on the other hand, provide you with a lot of content for not that much money. $19.99 for a movie, a couple of music video, documentaries, commentaries, and lots more. You get a lot more than a music CD.

Apple is moving in the right direction. Provide your customers with more and they'll pay for it. Sure, some customers won't but then again they don't pay much for anything. They're a non-issue anyways. Apple has already outlined what they offer in their package which I think offers a lot for the price. The sweet addition would be the ability to use the music that we bought in our own works like remixing a song or other creative works.

I run my own business and I realize that people are going to copy my work and probably sell it too without my permission. I've realized that all I can do is put in countermeasures and hope they get too lazy or confused. In the end though, the best countermeasure is providing a high quality product with lots of content.

If the RIAA would release a CD (or DVD-Audio or something) that has all the songs in high quality, allows you to view the music video, play the songs in your car, and the rights to remix the song, then I would pay more then their lowered price set.

Just my 2 cents.

rjwill246
Jan 21, 2004, 04:41 PM
No one needs them: at least not in their current form. If recording artists got together and created their own label(s) they would gain control of their own futures. With the software and hardware (why not make it Apple based where possible?) so accessible, recording studio set-ups are no great mystery. There are many possible ways to do this but all it takes is one or two highly publicised 'defections' and the recording studios as we know them will be as lively as dodos.

fraeone
Jan 21, 2004, 07:13 PM
I support the artists I like by paying for their shows when they come to town. They actually see a good percentage of that money versus the $1 they might get if you buy an album.

Every time you buy a cd, you're supporting the RIAA, and I haven't seen anything that suggests that iTunes is any different. It may be a step in the right direction, but I refuse to support anybody that sues 12 year olds from the projects.

I haven't purchased any major label recordings (record store and iTunes included) since the RIAA started their campaign of stupidity, and if you think their actions are reprehensible, you shouldn't either.