Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Has anyone found a way to enter a "5" with the handwriting recognition?

I've tried dozens of times and always get some other random number. So now I'm obsessed with beating THAT game... drawing a 5! :eek: Every other number is recognized easily.

Just wondering.

twinsdad

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
I have this game and have had no trouble drawing a five. I write just using my free thumb and write the number just like I write it on paper.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Weird, I have tried every possible shape and size of "5" and it always is seen as something else. DOZENS of attempts. Every other number is recognized accurately every single time.

There must be some bug I've managed to trigger.

amacisbetter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Same problem, but solved the mystery!!!

I was having the same problem! I really wanted to use the handwriting feature and was actually trying to show it off to someone with a Sudoku game for the DS. Every number works accuratley in the game besides the 5. But, I have the answer.

Make a horizontal line line and then draw a backwards "C" below that line. Not conecting the two shapes. You have to do it quickly, but it should work.

I'm attaching an image of how it should look. Hope this helps! :)

Attachments

• hand-drawn-5.gif
    hand-drawn-5.gif
    3 KB · Views: 66

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Thanks. Actually just about ANY 2-stroke shape will make a 5, even it's only vaguely 5-like. For instance, you can draw a rough "S" (sloppy 5) and then add a dot at the end. Or draw a dot and then the 5. (Or some random 2-stroke scribble: occasionally it will make a 4 but usually a 5, I find. Although you can make a 2-stroke 8 and it does know it's an 8.)

Also, it doesn't hurt if the strokes overlap. It doesn't have to LOOK like 2 strokes, it just has to BE 2 strokes. So you could draw a perfectly normal 5--just lift your finger and put it right back down, anywhere you like along the way.

Weird but it works, and I like that input method.

amacisbetter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Oh

Well glad to see you've found out how to get it working. I thought you may still be having problems. The way you mentioned, drawing a 5 and then adding something is actually how I came about figuring it out by accident. I just find the way I draw it now seems to always work, whereas if I draw it differently it sometimes will think it's something else.

The game is awesome, btw. Graphics are nice for a sudoku game. So if anyone stumbles upon this and you're looking for a sudoku game, I highly recommend Platinum Sudoku!

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Someone taught me the 2-stroke trick a while ago, and I could have sworn they did it in this thread... but it must have been somewhere else. Thanks for bringing the answer up here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.