PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced iChat and ported to Windows, thats what i want!!!

denjeff
Jan 21, 2004, 03:27 PM
My wish list for iChat:

- Add chess and other games
- Multi user videochat
- Search for people with same interest
- Port to Windows (I would convince everyone to DL it and use it, it will look better, be nicer, they will see an Apple logo every day, they will be able to videochat with me :) and they would buy iSights!!!)

isus
Jan 21, 2004, 03:37 PM
no.

be happy that itms and ipod brought itunes to windows, but there is no reason for ichat, iphoto, imovie, idvd, safari, mail, etc to come to windows in apple's eyes.

i mean, hell, if they ported ilife, why buy a mac?

denjeff
Jan 21, 2004, 03:46 PM
iChat is different then the other products... If you switch to Apple, then you get all those cool apps you can use instantly, except fot iChat... You first need to have iChat pals... If it is ported to Windows, you already have them. Less problems switching.

I think that s one of the reasons M$ isn t making MSN better... It gives all of your windows friends an advantage. For them it might be a reason not to switch.

jxyama
Jan 21, 2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by denjeff
and they would buy iSights!!!

apple would rather have one switcher than a bunch of PC iSight purchasers...

i understand your sentiment, but i don't think it will happen. the unpopularity (relatively speaking, compared to usb2) of firewire will also hurt any porting effort too...

topicolo
Jan 21, 2004, 04:16 PM
I doubt pc users are going to switch to the mac just for iChat and iSight.

I think the iChat and iSight package should be ported since the usefulness of these communication programs only increases with more people using them. It's like the telephone--if only you have a phone and none of your friends or family do, what's the point of owning one? In the same way, if phones only came in BMWs, people aren't going to buy a beemer just to use the phone just as a pc user won't buy a mac just to use iSight and iChat.

jxyama
Jan 21, 2004, 04:37 PM
i agree, PC users won't switch for iChat/iSight. that's pretty obvious.

i do wonder what the margin is for iSight. iPod (and hence iTMS to spur the sales of iPod) was ported to windows because it has a very high margin and the portable digital music player market was pretty clearly an emerging one... can we say the same for iSight/video chat market? right now, it almost feels like iSight is just another gadget for well to do Mac users... i am not so sure if PC users would jump at the idea of video chatting for $150..?

SiliconAddict
Jan 21, 2004, 05:00 PM
Well first off I don't care about iSight and video conferencing. IMHO VCing is still a gimmick at best. I canít have more then one VC chat going on at any given time that and VC chats are real-time in that they require your undivided attention. I've left chats linger for 5+ minutes while I work on something. I can't do that on a VC chat.

Secondly I couldnít care less about iChat. Trillian runs rings around iChat in features and IM client support and assuming that itís priced the same as iChat for Mac, Trillian is cheaper. *shrugs*

topicolo
Jan 21, 2004, 06:07 PM
VC may not replace instant messaging, but it may replace phone calls. I've dones some VC and honestly, being able to see the other person's reactions is MUCH better than seeing a bunch of emoticons. I mean, when you're talking to your relatives or your girlfriend, would you rather see a :) or a real smile?