Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
We have seen apps that turn the iPhone to a flash light. Is there something one can do to the screen so that one can see their reflection on the screen ( like a mirror )? I had a need for this when someone pointed out that there is something below my eye and I did not have a mirror with me. I ended up taking a picture of myself to look at it but that was a bit unwieldly :) Had there been a front camera, that would have solved the issue. I think woman would love to turn the iPhone into such a mirror so they do not have to carry a mirror, don't you all think?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You really haven't thought about this have you?

How would you turn the screen reflective? You can't. It's simply not possible.

The so called "mirror" apps for other phones work by running the front camera on video call capable 3G handsets in video mode and show the video on screen. The iPhone doesn't have front-camera so again not possible.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
There is a screen protector that makes the screen, while off, reflective.

Talk about vain, though. :p

ajwchin

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Raleigh
I have a screen protector like that. Works like a charm. I expected it to mute colors a bit, but it doesn't at all.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005

The so called "mirror" apps for other phones work by running the front camera on video call capable 3G handsets in video mode and show the video on screen. The iPhone doesn't have front-camera so again not possible.

Mirror programs for Palm handhelds made the screen black/very dark, and combined with a reflective screen, had a mirroring effect.

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007

Don't slam me for asking a question, though offbeat. If I have thought through this fully and come to firm conclusion, I would not post this here, would I?

Other answers are interesting. I am curious to see the mirror effect on the Palm handhels that dranakin mentions.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

you've never touched a sidekick have you? If you press a certain combination of buttons it turns the screen dark and if you focus your eyes past it it looks like a mirror. It's very cool. You can turn your iPhone into a mirror already (and I use this) just put a black or very dark grey picture in your photo album (I use it as my background).

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
this thread fails so much.

i'm only gonna say +1 for the mirror screen protectors.
those are as mirrory as it gets.
even though they do cut the visibility down, especially
in light. i've read other reviews and videos.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
1. Take a picture of your face and then turn the iPhone around and look at it.

2. Repeat as needed.

3. There's no Step 3!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
you've never touched a sidekick have you? If you press a certain combination of buttons it turns the screen dark and if you focus your eyes past it it looks like a mirror. It's very cool. You can turn your iPhone into a mirror already (and I use this) just put a black or very dark grey picture in your photo album (I use it as my background).

Do you really find a black picture to be a better mirror than just hitting the lock button and using the screen turned off (FWIW that's what I do)?

As for the Sidekick, I think that must be based on the physics of the LCD they use. I agree with Robbieduncan -- there's no way you can take an LCD that is not (very) reflective now and make it more reflective by manipulating the backlight or the liquid crystal layer.

The mirror screen covers are intriguing though.

And yes, sometimes I need to adjust my hair! :eek:

MegaMan1311

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
USA
The free (or at one time free) app "Light" does this. Once you download it, go into iphone preferences and find light at the bottom of the list of preferences to change. Change its setting from white to black (mirror) and Viola!

I hope that helps.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I know where you're coming from.
I often find the need for a mirror but don't have one.
Usually I just turn my iPod around.
But it is starting to get a lot of scratches so a mirror app for the iPod touch and iPhone would be nice.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Do you really find a black picture to be a better mirror than just hitting the lock button and using the screen turned off (FWIW that's what I do)?

As for the Sidekick, I think that must be based on the physics of the LCD they use. I agree with Robbieduncan -- there's no way you can take an LCD that is not (very) reflective now and make it more reflective by manipulating the backlight or the liquid crystal layer.

The mirror screen covers are intriguing though.

And yes, sometimes I need to adjust my hair! :eek:

yes I do. I find it looks better with the backlight on.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I admit that I had thought about this myself before and would love to have the something like it, but just didnt think it was possible.

So, in addition to just using the black screen if I want to check something out, I also will use the silver Apple logo on the back for small areas. :)

reliantj

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
oh wow, this is still in discussion.
i'm so glad my bathroom mirrors don't have to havetheir
software discussed. a mirror is a mirror. a phone without
a mirror is a phone. now a reflection, it can do. but you
don't call water a mirror just because it can reflect images.
just say you need something that'll give you a reflection.

just get something like this.
20081219332316029.jpg

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
reliantj, you deserve that, for having made fun of the existence of this thread itself... j/k :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.