PDA

View Full Version : I need suggestions to convert teacher to apple

phreakout13
Jan 21, 2004, 08:30 PM
Hi
I'm in the 8th grade and I need help convincing my social studies teacher to convert to a mac or at least admit that they're better than PCs. We always have debates in class about this subject and bieng the only mac user in class, I, as well as mac, look pretty pathetic. Help macs look good, PLEASE! Thank you!

phreakout13
Jan 21, 2004, 08:33 PM
P.S.
can anyone give me any cool quotes to say to him? Thanks!:)

mactastic
Jan 21, 2004, 08:39 PM
Mac's aren't always better than PCs. It's all about your needs. Trying to argue that one is hands-down better than the other is a fat load of manure. It just makes you sound stupid to people who really know what they are talking about. There are lots of good deals for teachers through the Apple site though. And don't construe this as knocking Apple's stuff, there are many compelling reasons to want to use it in the classroom. There are also reasons to go PC. Depends on what you need to do.

bannedagain
Jan 21, 2004, 10:12 PM
PC's are becoming more previlent in schools because they are now very stable, very cheap and have a shelf life of arround 3-4 years. Macs are very expencive to buy and to fix should any issues arrise after the warrenty has expired.

The original CRT iMac was apples last gasp at the larger educational market, however, macs no longer supporting floppy disks has made them a hard choice for schools. Also the inabblity to keep screens, due to the all-in-one systems is also a large draw back.

For schools x86 machines are a much better choice due to the larger user, software and hardware base, as well for normal educational tasks there is little to no difference between the machines in eithers favour.

As for gaming I still maintain that my 3 year old 1GHz AMD system is a better gaming machine than the latest Revision of the iMac.

jrv3034
Jan 21, 2004, 11:15 PM
Ask him "when's the last time you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete?"

Then tell him "Macs just work".

The show him a PowerBook running iMovie & iDVD.

That should do it.;)

bannedagain
Jan 21, 2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by jrv3034
The show him a PowerBook running iMovie & iDVD.
I could show you my PC Running Vegas 4.0, Sound Forge 6.0 and DVD Architect 1.0 from Sonic Foundry. And it would have the same impact.

It's horses for courses.

jrv3034
Jan 21, 2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by bannedagain
I could show you my PC Running Vegas 4.0, Sound Forge 6.0 and DVD Architect 1.0 from Sonic Foundry. And it would have the same impact.

Sure, but you probably paid over $500 for that software, whereas the iApps came with the Mac.

bannedagain
Jan 21, 2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by jrv3034
Sure, but you probably paid over $500 for that software, whereas the iApps came with the Mac.

Not really:rolleyes: but mum's the word.

virividox
Jan 22, 2004, 07:30 AM
go lend him ur mac for a couple days. i did that and switche dbaout 4 people haha thats f u can be without your baby for awhile

Mr. Anderson
Jan 22, 2004, 07:57 AM
Teachers also get the educational discount - which is nice.

But the clincher for me would have to be Virginia Techs Big Mac. 1100 Dual 2.0 G5 PowerMac cluster - its the 3rd largest super computer in the world, but it only cost a fraction of what was considered to be required for such a machine.

Do a little online searching on this and look at the top 500 list of SuperComputers.

Comparing bench marks is really subjective. Its hard to get an impartial gauge to overall speed - and the arguments are even worse.

Real world applications vs. optimized code issues.

When it comes down to it you should get the machine that you want and need to get the job done. Both PC and Mac have something to offer - and with the G5, Macs have been better able to compete with PCs in terms of speed.

Apple's software is quite nice as well, and there's even a thread floating around about a guy who submitted a movie to the Sundance film festive all done in iMovie. Pretty good for free software :D

D

caveman_uk
Jan 22, 2004, 08:38 AM
I still maintain that my 3 year old 1GHz AMD system is a better gaming machine than the latest Revision of the iMac.
My last PC was better than your PC and guess what? The mac I have that replaced it is better than it was. There's more to life than gaming. If you want to game get an xbox.

Educational computers are rarely used for UT or Quake...

Also comparing free software to stolen software is hardly a reasonable comaprison. If you want we could compare Logic, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio and Shake with your stolen stuff. If any of us wanted to we could steal stuff too...

Edot
Jan 22, 2004, 11:35 AM
PC's are becoming more previlent in schools because they are now very stable, very cheap and have a shelf life of arround 3-4 years. Macs are very expencive to buy and to fix should any issues arrise after the warrenty has expired.

The original CRT iMac was apples last gasp at the larger educational market, however, macs no longer supporting floppy disks has made them a hard choice for schools. Also the inabblity to keep screens, due to the all-in-one systems is also a large draw back.

For schools x86 machines are a much better choice due to the larger user, software and hardware base, as well for normal educational tasks there is little to no difference between the machines in eithers favour.

As for gaming I still maintain that my 3 year old 1GHz AMD system is a better gaming machine than the latest Revision of the iMac.

Floppies? Are you kidding? I don't understand why PC users and education still insist that floppy support is essential. Very few families with kids who have a computer do not have access to the internet. If it fits on a floppy it can be e-mailed. Better yet just set up a server at the school that the students can access. If you really are in need of a floppy drive then buy one for less than $50.

virividox
Jan 22, 2004, 12:21 PM
havent used a floppy in 3 years...well okay i admit i have, but not for computer stuff, i stacked them up and use them as ninja stars hehe

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 22, 2004, 01:23 PM
Have him take virgin MS PC's and mac PC's and have him set them up with printers, external drives, Sprint PCS phones and such.

have him run the systems on the internet for a month or two and see how many times he has problems with spyware or virus 's between the two.

IMO if you are running main stream apps like Office, the Adobe Suite and such there is not too much a difference. Untill you have text layers that won't translate under Windows, yet do so flawlessly under the Mac.

I would be interested in hearing how many times he has to reboot under Windows verses the mac. I find to keep my Windows system "clean" I have to reboot evry three to four days.

Frohickey
Jan 22, 2004, 01:27 PM
Not worth the effort.
Besides, aren't you supposed to be trying to get a date from the cute girl in your Math class? ;)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 22, 2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Frohickey
Not worth the effort.
Besides, aren't you supposed to be trying to get a date from the cute girl in your Math class? ;)

the Mac doesn't demand that you take it to a dinner and movie....

virividox
Jan 22, 2004, 01:52 PM
but the mac can get u date, forget convincing ur teacher, convince teh chicks in ur class to get macs, then u can be their mac master :D

phreakout13
Jan 22, 2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by virividox
but the mac can get u date, forget convincing ur teacher, convince teh chicks in ur class to get macs, then u can be their mac master :D
OH YEAH!:cool:

bannedagain
Jan 22, 2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Edot
Floppies? Are you kidding? I don't understand why PC users and education still insist that floppy support is essential. Very few families with kids who have a computer do not have access to the internet. If it fits on a floppy it can be e-mailed. Better yet just set up a server at the school that the students can access. If you really are in need of a floppy drive then buy one for less than $50.

It's a fall back standard, nothing more.

virividox
Jan 22, 2004, 04:36 PM
i suppose schools still use floppies because not all schools are wired, and lots of schools especially with low funding rely on older machines sometimes donations; thus floppies would be a cheaper alternative rather than cd burners and or network.

Awimoway
Jan 22, 2004, 04:48 PM
PC vs. Mac is cultural.

People who value cheapness and flexibility highest like PC's.

People who value stablity and ease-of-use highest like Macs.

So instead of trying to convert him, be the "bigger man" (or she-man) and just agree to disagree. --Unless of course stability and ease-of-use are most important to your teacher. In that case, he's an idiot.

phreakout13
Jan 22, 2004, 09:28 PM
yes sir!
(he-man)

Apple //e
Jan 22, 2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by phreakout13
P.S.
can anyone give me any cool quotes to say to him? Thanks!:)

school´s for fools!!:D

Rower_CPU
Jan 22, 2004, 10:28 PM
bannedagain-

Come on, man, how many times do we have to explain these things to you?

Macs expensive to fix? They use the same parts as PCs, other than the CPU and motherboard. Try again.

Macs lack floppy support? No, they just don't come with them anymore. Any USB floppy drive works fine. Try again.

Quit spreading FUD, man.

Education is a much different world than the gamer/modder/p2per world you seem to think applies to every situation. I know; I'm a computer tech on a university campus.

Post the specs that your 3 year old machine had at the time (no upgrades since then count) and we'll compare them to the current iMacs.

latergator116
Jan 22, 2004, 10:42 PM

Macs expensive to fix? They use the same parts as PCs, other than the CPU and motherboard. Try again.

I remember I ran across a website ( I think it was ihateapple.com) and this guy said "mac memory upgrades are so ********* expensive its not worth it to even upgrade one" which of course does not make any sense what so ever.

bannedagain
Jan 23, 2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
bannedagain-

Macs lack floppy support? No, they just don't come with them anymore. Any USB floppy drive works fine. Try again.

Quit spreading FUD, man.

Education is a much different world than the gamer/modder/p2per world you seem to think applies to every situation. I know; I'm a computer tech on a university campus.

Post the specs that your 3 year old machine had at the time (no upgrades since then count) and we'll compare them to the current iMacs.

That's a wee bit harsh.
And about that last part of your post, All I said is that my machine would still be a better 'Gaming' nachine than a current gen imac. Hell, I only get 9-11FPS while encrypting Divx 5.1.1, I'm sure an imac could beat that.

flyfish29
Jan 23, 2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by phreakout13
Hi
I'm in the 8th grade and I need help convincing my social studies teacher to convert to a mac or at least admit that they're better than PCs. We always have debates in class about this subject and bieng the only mac user in class, I, as well as mac, look pretty pathetic. Help macs look good, PLEASE! Thank you!

find out what he/she want's to do with it! That is the most important reason to buy something...does it do what I want for the least amount of trouble? Then show he/she how one can do what is desired the best!

encro
Jan 23, 2004, 09:18 AM
PC's are good.
Mac's are good (My prefered system)
Why bother arguing about it, its immature, counter-constructive and a never ending argument. There is no right or wrong answer.

Regarding floppies. Why would you waste your time when you could use a USB keydrive anyway?

Rower_CPU
Jan 23, 2004, 11:16 AM
That's a wee bit harsh.
And about that last part of your post, All I said is that my machine would still be a better 'Gaming' nachine than a current gen imac. Hell, I only get 9-11FPS while encrypting Divx 5.1.1, I'm sure an imac could beat that.

Sorry if you think it's harsh that I'm pointing out where you're wrong and asking you to back up your claims. It's only fair to those reading the thread to know what's true and what's not.

If you mean that your machine would be better for gaming due to game availability, then yeah, I'll give you that. But that's it. ;)