Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelion5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
hey everyone,

this is whats going on: i used iweb to make a website and then published it through machighway using fetch

none of the links work on the page so all i have is the homepage. its really sort of frustrating...

heres the website if anyone can help please do!

http://www.franksquarekids.com

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
hey everyone,

this is whats going on: i used iweb to make a website and then published it through machighway using fetch

none of the links work on the page so all i have is the homepage. its really sort of frustrating...

heres the website if anyone can help please do!

http://www.franksquarekids.com

If I remember correctly Fetch doesnt play nice with iWeb. I have no idea what fetch is, Im guessing its an FTP app but I read somewhere that there were problems when publishing to a folder then using fetch.

If it is an FTP app then I would suggest (if you are not using MobileMe) using Transmit.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
@thelion5

In your code you have area tags like this one:

HTML:
<area href="About.html" title="About.html" alt="About.html" onmouseout="IMmouseout('shapeimage_2', '0');" shape="rect" onmouseover="IMmouseover('shapeimage_2', '0');" coords="12, 12, 65, 43" onload="IMpreload('HomePage_files', 'shapeimage_2', '0');" />

The "onLoad" attribute is not supported in this tag -- I would expect that to be an onClick. Also move the image preloading stuff to the onLoad in the body tag where it belongs as that stuff is global in nature. I doubt an FTP program did all this but maybe the export from iWeb did this, I dunno.

Change your DTD to this:

HTML:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Here are the valid attributes for the area tag, btw:
http://www.htmlquick.com/reference/tags/area.html#tagattributes

-jim

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
another ftp that works really well with iweb is cyberduck and it is free. iWeb and fetch do not mix well.

kayaker

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
iWeb links not working.....

Your issues sound identical to mine. First website. Designed in iWeb (v1.1.2). Hosting by MacHighway.......but I used Transmit as my FTP client.

It didn't matter. My home page links do not work. I've been careful not to have empty text boxes behind my text box links, and they do not overlap anything else on the page. The html feedback you got sounded great, but its Greek to me.

Should I bail on iWeb and buy a web development program? I'm not patient enough to learn code............?

Mitou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Should I bail on iWeb and buy a web development program? I'm not patient enough to learn code............?

You certainly can do whatever you wish but iWeb is as easy as it gets. You say you don't have the patience to learn code, then iweb is the easiest you can choose.
Do your links works when you activate them in iweb but do not work after you publish? That would be a good indication that the problem is created in your ftp program.

kayaker

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
more of the same

Thank you for the input on potential issues with the ftp client. I just tried Cyberduck (after first using Transport), and got the same result--homepage links not working. Here is what I experience:

All hyperlinks work as designed within iWeb on my G4. After publishing the site to a folder on my desktop and opening the index.html file from my desktop, the homepage links do not work. This is true even before ftp'ing the site to my hosting service. Should the links work in this index file before I even upload? Thx!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
All hyperlinks work as designed within iWeb on my G4. After publishing the site to a folder on my desktop and opening the index.html file from my desktop, the homepage links do not work. This is true even before ftp'ing the site to my hosting service. Should the links work in this index file before I even upload? Thx!

Is the site posted somewhere we can see it? It might help being able to look at the code to see what might be happening.

kayaker

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
iWeb site links work on IE but not Safari or Firefox....???

Does this make any sense? An iWeb-designed site, hosted by Mac Highway, works beautifully on Internet Explorer machines but not on my own Safari or Firefox browsers. Any suggestions?

thelion5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Does this make any sense? An iWeb-designed site, hosted by Mac Highway, works beautifully on Internet Explorer machines but not on my own Safari or Firefox browsers. Any suggestions?

hey just got back online from a trip. thanks for all the feedback and i'm glad someone is in the same place as i am. i tried cyberduck and that didn't work.

any other suggestions?

franksquarekids.com

amfrager

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
links not working

I was having a problem with the links not working...what finally worked was selecting the text box which included the link and brought it to the front Arrange>Bring to Front.

I then uploaded the page again and it worked fine....

Hope this helps.

AmyPhoto

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
I was pretty frustrated too

I found that i had a photo on my main page that was covering (the pic was transparent in the area over the links) the home page links.
I put mask over the 'extra' areas so that the pic no longer interfered and it seemed to work... Fluke or not it is something to take a look at if nothing else has worked.

illy123

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2010
I notice that now your site is working.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem! The only browser that renders is IE ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.