Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avergae Battery Life of 2G Touch Playing Games

• Less than 2 Hours

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • 2-3 Hours

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • 3-4 Hours

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • Greater than 4 hours

Votes: 14 15.9%

• Total voters

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
AFter a bit of testing and owning the 2G for 6 days - I am getting an average battery life of aprox 2-3 hours if playing games. Spore is much less.

PLease post your battery life and the games you are playing. Trying to determine if this is just a few touches or consistent behavior with all of them.

Turn wi fi off, fetch push data off and location services off...

Spore - Avg battery life - 1 hour and 10-20 minutes
Wurdle - Avg battery life - 2 hours 50 minutes
Aliens Invade - Avg Battery life - 2 hours 15 minutes

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
Thanks for putting this up, I wanna know too.

On side note, maybe you should call Apple up and tell them your issues. You might got a defective one.

YodaEXE

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
I'm around 2-3 hours, unless I'm simply playing Solitaire, then it's a bit more. It's not all that surprising though. The games are fairly graphics heavy and use a lot more processing power than music or video does.

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Oh yeah, this is a great mobile gaming device alright. With battery life like this, the DS and PSP should be shivering in fear. :rolleyes: Nice job Steveo!

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Did some mixed usage today while watching the games. Checking scores - wi - fi and playing games. Got just under 3 hours.

Gonna check over the next week to see if listening to tunes - and see if I come anywhere close to the stated battery life. It is pretty irritating as I like playing some of the games etc during a few minutes here and there - but unless you have a power source real handy...well...was hoping it was just mine. Have heard from others anecdotally that they are experiencing the same thing.

At this point - I would be happy with greater than 4 hours - how did someone get that!

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
I doubt that the 4+ hours is even accurate to be honest, I get the impression there are lots of kids on here, some are probably just screwing around.

When you do your rated battery life test for music, set the brightness to half, turn off wifi (obviously, but I just had to say it :D) and the volume to 50%. Then just put it to sleep and come back 30+ hours later. I am interested in the results you find

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
I know it might be a silly question and what not, but does playing the games while using headphones save more battery than having it play through the internal speakers?

wpwj40e

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Ive tried with headphones - without headphones and with music turned off. Does not make a real difference.

Actually one would think with headphones it would drain the battery faster to power the headphones.

I can get from 2-3 hours on any of the games I have installed except spore. That game kills the battery faster than anything I have seen. You can "see" the battery drain:)

Im also finding safari kills the battery pretty much as well. Much worse than the Touch 1G I have.

And i am hearing from others that have the 2G they are having the exact same experience. So I think it is inherent in the new touches and is not just mine.

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
Too funny:D

I am tempted to exchange it this week to see if a different one has the same issues. Just pretty sure all of the same mfg date probably all have the battery drain issue.

Let us know if you have a better experience with a new one.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I am currently on my second touch, the first one being taken back to the store after i found 6 dead pixels!

I was always dissapointed by the battery on the first one, but resigned myself to the fact that it was indeed doing quite a lot of processing, and charging once a day is not that big of a deal anyway!

however, the replacement model i received has a far greater battery life, and i get a good 3-4 hours playing games now, compared to about 2 hours before. I usually play a mix of games from Crash nitro cart to solitaire, and i am yet to try out spore, so perhaps that is why some here are getting less play-time?

more importantly for me, the touch seems to last for about 2-3 days now when being used on and off for internet, music, photos and games, and very rarely some video too.

To reiterate however, I have found my replacement touch to be far less battery hungry than my first 2g model

[EDIT] I have the 32GB model if that makes any difference

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
I don't get what the big deal is. How many people really need to play a game for more than three hours at a time without charging? Sure it would be nice on a plane but of the people who bought the touch, how many are really taking a flight on a normal basis? I'd bet its a very low number.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
people,just turn your brightness to as low as you can,I didn't vote cuz I have an iPhone 3g and I get 5 hours playing adrenaline pool lite online..

5id4t

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
so is less than 2 hours bad for the battery because ive had 2 ipod touches im on the second 1 and i got the same problem also i bought it from argos and the 30 day has expired what can i do!!!!!!!! plz help all help appreciated:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Tech Goat

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
Battery Life Testing

Hey. I reciently did an expirement in which I tested 115 iTouches on battery life, startup speed, and crash probability.

My results showed that 70% of iTouches (2nd generation) have a battery life between 3-4 hours. 25% of the devices had a battery life over 4 hours. One had a battery life of 8 hours and three had a battery life under 2 hours. To keep the variables at a minimum I had all the devices running the same game (lux touch) for the entire time. I noticed that the iTouches with the longest start up times seemed to have the shortest life.

bobbyp28

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2009
Batt Life unacceptable

fwiw...just recieved my IPOD touch 2gen 16 gig from Crutchfield yesterday...

boy am I MAD....I primarily use it to listen to streaming radio over the free FlyCast app...

on a full charge, It is only running for two hours at the most...this is UNACEPTABLE as far as I am concerned......

As if that's not bad enough....my $400 Bose Sound Dock from Crutchfield a year and half ago...it is NOT compatable with these new USB charged Ipods either...called Bose, they said they would be glad to modify my Sound Dock for a $100 charge plus freight....

I am really pissed off at IPOD...This has to go down as the most fuxx up Product Design off all times....

Fourtuantely Crutchfield is very nice about taking this stuff back...they are even going to pay the shipping for me to send this dam thing back to them..

It's too bad, I really wanted this to be a good thing...why does it seem that these companies (apple) always just design in one or two little things that fuxx it all up for the customer...

MRLAW2010

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Bracknell uk
I doubt that the 4+ hours is even accurate to be honest, I get the impression there are lots of kids on here, some are probably just screwing around.

When you do your rated battery life test for music, set the brightness to half, turn off wifi (obviously, but I just had to say it :D) and the volume to 50%. Then just put it to sleep and come back 30+ hours later. I am interested in the results you find

I cracked the screen on my iPod touch 2nd gen just over a week ago and just got my replacement through today, as I could not use my iPod obviously I just left it there in standby , the wi-fi was left on and I am happy to say it lasted 4 days in standby, I could not believe it as I normally can't get 3 hours outta it when I'm on the Internet. So I guess I'm having the same problems as you guys. Thanks. Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.