Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattydee87

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2008
If so, does it run okay? (I'd prefer to play Spore in Mac instead of Boot Camp.)

I tried it on my Mac Mini for lols. It's only got 1GB of ram and the integrated graphics but it plays... Just not very smoothly. It doesn't support the GMA 950, at least not under Mac OS X.

So if you're running on a MacBook Pro I would think it will run perfectly fine. Try it and see. :)

bassism

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2004
I have Spore on my mbp under os x.
It runs alright, but since it's a crappy cider port, it would run rather better in boot camp.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It runs great on my MacBook - I don't have any issues with playability or speed at all, it just works.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Runs quite smoothly on my 2.8ghz 2gb ram, 8800gs Imac...so smoothly I havent bothered with windows..

Blazecc

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Great

It runs great on my topped out MBP, though it's a killer on Battery life. Then again, Windows would be even worse.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Ditto on the shadows for me... it ran jerky until I turned them down and now its smooth with a lot of the other effects on high. Running on an iMac C2D 2.33GHz with 2gb ram.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Playing Spore on my Air

I'm running Spore on my MacBook Air. I just entered the Tribal stage. It runs fine in "low" detail. I'm not a gamer, so that's fine for me. When I get my next MBP, I'll install it on that and see what all the detail looks like. :)

BTW, my "creature" is a Snozglop. Anybody befriended/conquered them?

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan

The Mac AND PC versions are on the same disk. Anywhere you buy it, you will always have both versions. There is a nice WIN/MAC DVD logo in the bottom next to the rating.

20080924-mtmt32bthbaxi73gekqta64b9c.jpg

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I got bored after 3 days.

I'll give you $7 for it! :D

The Mac AND PC versions are on the same disk. Anywhere you buy it, you will always have both versions. There is a nice WIN/MAC DVD logo in the bottom next to the rating.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder why more companies don't do this? It's gotta be easier than stocking, printing and shipping two SKUs.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder why more companies don't do this? It's gotta be easier than stocking, printing and shipping two SKUs.

That's not what happens though...most companies only stock, print and ship one version (Windows). Then a completely different company gets the rights to make a Mac version, and they stock, print and ship one version (Mac). You pretty much never see a company do separate Mac and Windows versions.

But yeah, it would be nice to see more Win/Mac hybrids, as you'd be able to get the Mac version in other stores aside from Apple stores (not counting online retailers, of course).

--Eric

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Runs very well on my mid-2007 iMac with the Ati HD 2600 pro. The game itself is not something to get addicted to for long, it's the creature/house/vehicle building that is, at least for me. I can make 3D models in Cinema 4D too and have far far far more options, but it wouldn't be so fast and you can't experiment so fast. It's so recreational for me to just build a funny creature or cool spaceship in 20 minutes in between other stuff.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Sorry only partially true if were going to be accurate. (wink)

I bought mine from India. Whilst both versions are on the DVD - it does not have the Win/Mac label. Instead it just carries the PC DVD-Rom Software label.

So you learn somthing new everyday ;):p

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.