PDA

View Full Version : Agreenster's Avatar submission #1

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 09:09 AM
This was the first 'tar I made and just uploaded about 2 days ago. Does it still count for the contest??

More to come though........

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by agreenster
This was the first 'tar I made and just uploaded about 2 days ago. Does it still count for the contest??

i think you can enter any avatar you want.

so yeah, i think it works.... it's quite nice....

i think the only thing i MIGHT like better is if it stopped for a second or 2. ie. rotate, pause, rotate, pause... but that might notwork. gotta see it to know...

you should probably post in the new forum though too... so they have em all together.

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 09:31 AM
New Forum? I have no idea what you are talking about

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 09:34 AM
The new forum is the Avatar Contest Forum, and yes any 'tar is ok. Doens't have to be a new one....

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 09:35 AM
Gotcha, thanks--just posted

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
The new forum is the Avatar Contest Forum, and yes any 'tar is ok. Doens't have to be a new one....

I can move this one if u guys want??

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 09:50 AM
i'd also attach the file to the post in the other forum... that way if you for some reason decide to change your avatar, it'll still be up. plus it might be easier for the judges to collect them up if they're all attached.

oh and agreen... just so yo uknow

all posts in the other avatar forum have to be approved by duke, so rather than bug him with all that, we are discussing them mostly in the community section and just posting the actual avatars in the other one... at least that's what i'm trying to do. word

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 09:50 AM
No, its okay--I posted a new one in the avatar forum

Thanks though!!
;)

And Jello--gotcha no problem

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I can move this one if u guys want??

not worth it in my mind, given the nature of the new forum (ie duke approval required)... may as well keep the discussion here...

mymemory
May 29, 2002, 09:53 AM
My avatar should winn because it says it all.

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

not worth it in my mind, given the nature of the new forum (ie duke approval required)... may as well keep the discussion here...

no problem....thought I'd offer it up in case... ;)

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by mymemory
My avatar should winn because it says it all.

you've been hanging out with mac15, right?

So submit already.....can't win if you don't play!

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 09:59 AM
i'd also attach the file to the post in the other forum... that way if you for some reason decide to change your avatar, it'll still be up. plus it might be easier for the judges to collect them up if they're all attached.

Man, Im getting hammered with wedding plans, demo reels, this elusive movie everyone wants to see, three jobs (at the moment), etc etc---I wont change my avatar. I just dont have the time--

great suggestion though for anyone else who is makingmultiple submissions.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:03 AM

Yes, its much better if it was kept here, easier to deal with, there are enough new posts to the moderated forum as it is and some of the questions I'm moving over here anyway, to avoid clutter.

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 10:49 AM
I updated my avatar to remove the background and make it more seamlessly integrated into the page. This is the final version, but just wanted you to notice the difference. I think its an improvement

Macmaniac
May 29, 2002, 10:50 AM
I think it looks great! Did you use flash?

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 10:54 AM
No, but I use flash on a very regular basis.

I used Cinema4D to model and animate the Powerbook, and then used ImageReady to make the animated gif.

The only thing that sucks is that it is 50x50. I modeled the laptop down to the last detail (even the speaker holes and whatnot). Im going to use it as part of my 3D demo reel though, and it will be seen up close then.

jefhatfield
May 29, 2002, 11:17 AM

this is one of the more interesting avatars out there right now

what is on your screen...i can't quite make it out

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:20 AM
No, but I use flash on a very regular basis.

I used Cinema4D to model and animate the Powerbook, and then used ImageReady to make the animated gif.

The only thing that sucks is that it is 50x50. I modeled the laptop down to the last detail (even the speaker holes and whatnot). Im going to use it as part of my 3D demo reel though, and it will be seen up close then.

can you set us up with an image or something of the larger version so we can appreciate the details?

how long did it take to model?

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 11:34 AM
Here is a screen capture-

I still have to flesh out the keyboard, screen latches, and modify the textures. It was good enough for the tar.

The screen is my desktop I use on my computer. Its the boat from my pirate animation. There was a thread on macrumors earlier about desktop pictures with a better rendering of it. I dont know where it is though.

Anyway, Jello and Duke, I should have my movie done this weekend-

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:40 AM
I still have to flesh out the keyboard, screen latches, and modify the textures. It was good enough for the tar.

Anyway, Jello and Duke, I should have my movie done this weekend-

nice work. i need to start modeling things like that, just to hone my skills....

how long did it take?

looking forward to the movie.

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 11:42 AM
how long did it take?

2 hours or so. I didnt spend tons of time because it isnt what Im trying to focus on

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:43 AM

2 hours or so. I didnt spend tons of time because it isnt what Im trying to focus on

ha could've fooled me

just goes to show my lack of 3D skills as of now.... ahhhh. i was thinking like a couple days or so. i guess the key is that a lot of the work is just done by textures rather than fully modeled, eh?

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 11:44 AM
Nice job. Did you use a color/bump map for the keys, or did you just model them in? I would have take a pic and seen how that came out, and the modified a b/w to make a bump map. How easy would that be to do in Cinema 4D?

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 11:46 AM
No, its all modeled. It didnt take that long because, if you notice, the Ti is very basic in shape. Just rectangles with beveled edges.

I used all nurbs, and booleans to get the holes out of the casing.

No bump or displacement mapping.

edesignuk
May 29, 2002, 11:48 AM
Man, I love that 'tar agreenster, VERY nice work!
(makes me want a TiBook every time I see it :p)

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
I would have take a pic and seen how that came out, and the modified a b/w to make a bump map. How easy would that be to do in Cinema 4D?

I could have done that--and Cinema4D would have handled it nicely. But I just copied and pasted the keys just as quickly. Plus, I wanted the white part below the keys to show through

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 11:50 AM
No, its all modeled. It didnt take that long because, if you notice, the Ti is very basic in shape. Just rectangles with beveled edges.

I used all nurbs, and booleans to get the holes out of the casing.

No bump or displacement mapping.

yeah, i guess the more i look at it the simpler it seems... given the relatively simple textures and whatnot. still looks good to me though...

is that the closest you'll get in the animation for your portfolio?

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 11:55 AM
In my portfolio, Im doing a spoof where one of my pirates whips it out and does a short comedy sketch with it as an introduction to my demo reel. You primarily just see the back of it, maybe parts of the side, so that may be as detailed as its going to get. I try not to model whats not seen as much as possible, but I do get carried away sometimes because Im such a perfectionist.

PS-thanks Verbose, glad ya like it :)
It doesnt hurt the Tar that the TiBook is the nicest looking computer on the planet. I see it EVERYWHERE. TV, movies, advertisements....I got a brochure from The Mirage in Las Vegas (I went there with my fiance) and it even had a Ti on it............gotta love it

agreenster
May 29, 2002, 11:57 AM
The grey background of the vBulletin alternates between light grey and medium grey, so about half of my posts have a darker grey background

:(

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 12:12 PM
The grey background of the vBulletin alternates between light grey and medium grey, so about half of my posts have a darker grey background

hmm, interesting... guess you'll just have to be really careful and change your avatar depending on which one your current post will be on.... ha!

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 12:13 PM

You can use the tone right between the two, or use what I did in my 'Show Me The G5!', alternating lines of both colors, so it looks the same in both, but its actualy not.