PDA

View Full Version : What if I don't have a wireless connection?

vtopa
Sep 22, 2008, 11:48 AM
Here's my dilemma. After months of pleading with my pc-oriented I&T admin for a Mac, I now have a nice shiny iMac 2.4 ghz. Only problem is that we do have a wireless router but my office is so far from it that the signal I get is super weak. Being a PC-dominated workplace, everyone (including me) has an ethernet port in their office. I asked if I could install a wireless router in my office but they will not let me do that. So, I am wondering (and I know this goes against the whole idea of a wireless world), is there a way for me to plug my iMac directly into the wall port? I do not see any ethernet "phone jack" connections on the back of the iMac. Can t be done with some other connection or am I stuck? Sorry, I know this is probably a newbie question, but I'm a wee bit desperate. :eek:

THANKS!

Mindflux
Sep 22, 2008, 11:49 AM
Here's my dilemma. After months of pleading with my pc-oriented I&T admin for a Mac, I now have a nice shiny iMac 2.4 ghz. Only problem is that we do have a wireless router but my office is so far from it that the signal I get is super weak. Being a PC-dominated workplace, everyone (including me) has an ethernet port in their office. I asked if I could install a wireless router in my office but they will not let me do that. So, I am wondering (and I know this goes against the whole idea of a wireless world), is there a way for me to plug my iMac directly into the wall port? I do not see any ethernet "phone jack" connections on the back of the iMac. Can t be done with some other connection or am I stuck? Sorry, I know this is probably a newbie question, but I'm a wee bit desperate. :eek:

THANKS!

There is an ethernet jack on the back of the iMac. :) No worries.

bartelby
Sep 22, 2008, 11:50 AM
There is an ethernet port on the back.

TEG
Sep 22, 2008, 11:50 AM
There is an ethernet port on an iMac, the second from the right.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058/1386732239_36af524146.jpg?v=0
TEG

nick9191
Sep 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
Theres an ethernet port right on the back.

Phone Jack? Thats not ethernet.

http://www.robantnets.co.uk/rj45rj11.jpg

Ethernet is on the right.

vtopa
Sep 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
Just took it out of the box and see the ethernet port. Sorry to bother all of you.

nick9191
Sep 23, 2008, 06:27 AM
Hehe, s'okay we all make mistakes.

Nick.