Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugbees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I went to erase my windows partition to reinstall it to give it more space, but now when I go to recreate it, it tells me that it's unable to create a partition and to repair the disk using disk utility.

I'm currently repairing the disk, but what do I do if that fails? I'm posting this now as I don't have a lot of time and would like a solution if it does fail sooner than later if I asked after it fails.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
I went to erase my windows partition to reinstall it to give it more space, but now when I go to recreate it, it tells me that it's unable to create a partition and to repair the disk using disk utility.

I'm currently repairing the disk, but what do I do if that fails? I'm posting this now as I don't have a lot of time and would like a solution if it does fail sooner than later if I asked after it fails.

If it fails- reinstall OS X I guess... I made the stupid mistake of using disk utility to get rid of my Windows partition back in the beta days, then used Boot Camp to get rid of it. It would not recreate a partition after until I reformatted the whole thing.

Tom Foolery

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Toronto, Canada
i had this problem to just today. I wanted to install it but it wouldn't let me parition my drive. the problem is you have a bunch of files scattered across your drive. but the partition needs to be one solid piece not broken up in chunks

the solution is to defragment your drive. i used idefrag, the way for it to work properly you must burn it to a dvd put it in your drive then restart, as your screen turns on hold alt until you have the option to boot from the cd

you do have to pay for the app unless you are familiar with torrents. wait for it to boot up and select full defrag wait til it finishes then boot up and partition

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1545904/5025276/

it's the only place i could find the file, sorry, if you can't get it PM me and i'll upload it to rapidshare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.