Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirk wilson

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hello everybody-

I have a PISMO which has been squealing when plugged into the power supply (an iGo unit made by Apple); the battery is not quite dead but won't give more than 30 minutes of service.

Anyway, the computer squeals (a high-pitched noise) all the time, unless I pull the AC power plug and go on battery. It's driving me nuts.

I posted twice before, about this, and since then I have replaced
the Power/Charger PMU battery board, and the Sound Card
which has the AC power input integrated into it.

I was sure this would solve the problem. Someone suggested that a bad capacitor in the power/PMU board might be squealing.

The sound isn't coming from the speakers, and it still squeals
when I pop the battery out. The battery does charge ok, and the computer will run on AC power with the battery removed. But it still will squeal.

The noise originates in the center of the computer, under the keyboard.

Is it possible that it's the CPU processor? It's a 400mhz, with 512 sdram.

I crank my music up when i am using the computer, so i don't have to hear the squeal. Or, as I said, I unplug the charger. (i have switched chargers twice, also). The squeal does not come through over the sound system
which I have the pismo plugged into. Thank god.

Otherwise, a great PISMO, and I don't want to lose it. But I hate to buy another one, if this is the eventual fate of all PISMOs.

Any far-fetched suggestions would be appreciated..

kw

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Are there pismo manuals on ifixit.com? You could use the take-apart guide to attempt to figure out what part is squealing and replace that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.