PDA

View Full Version : A very dumb question [X11 help]

hamfist
Jan 22, 2004, 10:44 AM
when i was running jaguar, i had followed some great tutorials on installing x11 and related applicatoins. now that x11 is standard in panther i have no idea how to install x11 apps! can i still use fink and fink commander? if so, how do i get installed apps to show up when i control-click on the x11 icon? thanks for your help!

abhishekit
Jan 22, 2004, 12:09 PM
i am not clear which apps you are talkling about. But if you want the x11 terminal you can install x11sdk pkg. its located in installers in the finder. And then there is a x11 downlaod on apple website. Those were the only 2 things i needed. i use x11 window to remote login in a linux machine at work.
hope it helps

hamfist
Jan 22, 2004, 12:30 PM
well, i'd like to install gimp. do i still use fink? and if so, how can i add it to the x11 menu when i control-click on the x11 app icon in my dock? thanks!

Westside guy
Jan 22, 2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by hamfist
well, i'd like to install gimp. do i still use fink? and if so, how can i add it to the x11 menu when i control-click on the x11 app icon in my dock? thanks!

Yes, use fink - it's been updated for Panther for quite some time.

As far as adding it to the X11 menu: there's a "customize" option in the menu (at least in Panther). That'll do the trick.

hamfist
Jan 22, 2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks!!! I'll give it a shot.