PDA

View Full Version : IBM claims massive power cut for 90nm G5

MacBytes
Jan 22, 2004, 11:00 AM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: IBM claims massive power cut for 90nm G5 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040122120007)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

RHutch
Jan 22, 2004, 11:16 AM
The G4's @ 1GHz use 7.5W; the article didn't say what the 1.33 GHz processors in the 17" use. Does anyone know?

Regardless, the ne G5's are only using 12.5W at 1.4GHz.

I will gladly take that heat if it means extra speed and all the other benefits of having a G5.

Please do it soon, Apple. I want a new PB.

wrldwzrd89
Jan 22, 2004, 11:18 AM
This is very good news for those looking for a G5 PowerBook. The wattage consumption is much, much lower for the 90nm G5 than for the 130nm G5. I'm surprised that the difference is as big as it is. This news also bodes well for those looking for a G5 iMac - the cooling issue should be less of a problem now. Even the PowerMac G5 will benefit - smaller heatsinks = more room for optical drives etc. Since the 90nm version of the PowerPC G5 is a big improvement over the 130nm version, I would expect the 65nm PowerPC to get better still (especially if IBM uses SSOI [Strained Silicon On Insulator] technology) in wattage consumption. Who knows, IBM may even open up a growing lead over Intel (but not AMD, since they use IBM's manufacturing plants).

Mr. Anderson
Jan 22, 2004, 11:23 AM
The 970FX, meanwhile, consumes a mere 12.3W at 1.4GHz, paving the way for PowerBook G5s.

Fantastic news for the Powerbook G5's and iMacs!

I love the Intel 90 nm comparison :D

While Intel continues to have problems with the power consumed by its 90nm 'Prescott' processor - 100W at around 3.2GHz - IBM's own documentation claims the 90nm 970 eats 24.5W at 2GHz.

D

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 22, 2004, 11:58 AM
nice article, if they put the new process 90 nm into the imac they can chalk up my sale. notice what that 90nm 1.4 ghz was pulling 12.5 watts perfect for everything they make. maybe they are going to let that G5 out of the closet come super bowl. it would be to cool for apple to come out with G5 powerbooks, imacs and faster protowers. think it could happen?

0 and A ai
Jan 22, 2004, 05:02 PM
I think we'll see a g5 imac in the near future...read within next 4 months.

Sir_Giggles
Jan 22, 2004, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I'm gonna wait until the PowerPC drops to a 45nm process. I just don't see justification in getting a G5 Powerbook in the next few months, as

1) There are not many applications to take advantage of 64-bit processing.

2) G5 processors kick butt in dual configurations. Single processor G5 doesnt make sense in a laptop.

So it's likely the next powerbook revision will continue using G4 processors, but with lower power consumption.

Unless you are working with HD video, or massive databases, G5 in laptop form is ridiculous and too expensive at this time. Sorry to burst your collective bubbles.

MrMacMan
Jan 22, 2004, 11:01 PM
Less Power == Less Heat.

Good for everyone!

:D

Sir_Giggles -- There is always a 5-15% CPU loss when Dual CPU systems are linked together, same for the G5...

And your not having Dual G5 in anylaptop.

Rower_CPU
Jan 22, 2004, 11:03 PM
Sir_Giggles-

Single G5s makes perfect sense in laptops when they're faster than the G4s in current PowerBooks.

RHutch
Jan 23, 2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Sir_Giggles
Sorry, I'm gonna wait until the PowerPC drops to a 45nm process. I just don't see justification in getting a G5 Powerbook in the next few months, as

2) G5 processors kick butt in dual configurations. Single processor G5 doesnt make sense in a laptop.

So it's likely the next powerbook revision will continue using G4 processors, but with lower power consumption.

Unless you are working with HD video, or massive databases, G5 in laptop form is ridiculous and too expensive at this time. Sorry to burst your collective bubbles.

You go ahead and wait for those 45 nm process chips. However, some of us might like a new pbook before 3 or 4 years from now.

Who cares if the apps take advantage of 64-bit processing? The G4's have an awful FSB compared to the G5's. A 1.4 GHz G5 system will outperform a 1.4 GHz G4 system.

I guess Apple should halt their 'book lines. If a single G5 doesn't make sense in a laptop, then neither does a G4. So Apple has no sensible chips for their laptops.

I have no idea why you think the G5 in a laptop is ridiculous, but how can you say that it is too expensive? If there is no G5 laptop right now, there is also no G5 laptop pricing. You mean you think it would be too expensive?

You didn't burst my bubble, and I doubt anyone else would be disuaded from hoping for a G5 laptop based on what you had to say.

Dippo
Jan 23, 2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Sir_Giggles

Your just kidding right?