PDA

View Full Version : Macs & Freelance

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 10:27 AM
In what seems to be the neverending saga of threads spawned by jefhatfield...here's yet another...;)

Do u freelance with your Mac? Print Design? Web Design? Video Production? Sound Production?

What do u do with your Macs...?

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:32 AM
I'll do what ever I can. I don't advertise, but get along by word of mouth which is fine for now. I'd like to be able to go off and work just doing freelance, but I don't have a big enough client base and I'm not interested in pounding the pavement trying to sell myself, rather do the work.

And then if I had more work, I wouldn't be on MacRumors......

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
And then if I had more work, I wouldn't be on MacRumors......

that's such an interesting comment...

I have more than enough work here for me at my day job...

makes u really wonder doesn't it...he he he ;)

iGav
May 29, 2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
Do u freelance with your Mac? Print Design? Web Design? Video Production? Sound Production?

What do u do with your Macs...?

All of the above..... + more...... the TiBook is ideal for this, it means that when I'm on a contract, I can just whizz in and not worry about been allocated the oldest mac in the office, and can pretty much get straight to work.... I already have the software, and the fonts etc etc, so generally it's just super-productive.......

The best thing about freelance is the wages...... in London they're like disgustingly good at the moment....... as fulltime creative work seems to have taken a dive recently.......

I'm on a weeks break at the moment, so I'm making the best of the time to upgrade to OSX as my native OS...... and install all the new apps I've got in the last 7 days....... :D

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
the TiBook is ideal for this

It truly is amazing how much a difference it does make. I've used several for different reasons and I'll probably always have one, they're indispencable!

cleo
May 29, 2002, 10:57 AM
As you guys know, I'm currently getting started on my first freelance website. Wheee!

Most of my extra income comes from tutoring and freelance book/manuscript editing. I've also gotten into a bit of book indexing, but it is sooooo painful. It's amazing the kind of money people throw your way when your flash a 800 verbal SAT at them... :D

jelloshotsrule
May 29, 2002, 10:58 AM
i have done a freelance animation for a producer.

and i probably will have an editing job coming up....

so i said yes. but i can't say i have made a career of it or anything...

though i guess ideally i'd like to.

what with living off the business woman and all.....

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 11:01 AM

It truly is amazing how much a difference it does make. I've used several for different reasons and I'll probably always have one, they're indispencable!

I feel the same way about mine...probably one of the...if not the best purchase I've ever made...

great for my photography...music....design...boredom... :D

iGav
May 29, 2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

I feel the same way about mine...probably one of the...if not the best purchase I've ever made...

great for my photography...music....design...boredom... :D

Definitely........... the TiBook is just so versatile.......... I used to have the old Pismo 500, as a company machine where I used to work and it was such a solid workhorse, so when I went freelance and decided portable was the way to go, I purchased the TiBook...... although I held out for MWSF 01, in the hope of a new Powerbook, I came very close to buying myself a Pismo... but I'm so glad I waited......... :D

jefhatfield
May 29, 2002, 11:11 AM
my wife did flyers and cards for clients using the mac clone and then the ibook and used photoshop and pagemaker

SilvorX
May 29, 2002, 11:25 AM
i sometimes do newsletters (coin newsletters), and when i get my mac, i might get word x (or vpc n install the copy of word i have right now) so that people who want the newsletter via email would be able to read it (since there isnt that much of a demand via email n the only ppl who want the newsletter via email have windows)

cleo
May 29, 2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by SilvorX
i sometimes do newsletters (coin newsletters), and when i get my mac, i might get word x (or vpc n install the copy of word i have right now) so that people who want the newsletter via email would be able to read it (since there isnt that much of a demand via email n the only ppl who want the newsletter via email have windows)

Actually, with OS X you can save any document (from AppleWorks, or whatever) as a .pdf, so you can easily distribute newsletters, resumes, etc with the original formatting preserved. :D

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by cleo

Actually, with OS X you can save any document (from AppleWorks, or whatever) as a .pdf, so you can easily distribute newsletters, resumes, etc with the original formatting preserved. :D

that's something that's becoming more commonplace now for people with print jobs....PDF files...they work well in some cases...but they are not always fool proof...

what ends up making my job harder is when someone wants to send me a 2 color PDF of a job they designed in Quark...there should be a manual that everyone who "designs" their own work should own... ;)

3rdpath
May 29, 2002, 01:21 PM
howsabout a choice for doing only freelance work?

i've been entirely freelance since '96( i think...maybe '95?) and its just great.

my favorite part of freelancing is how much the jobs can vary in nature....i don't like to be locked into any one area so it fits me well. not all the jobs are exciting but they are all different and allow creative freedom( some more freedom than others...).

i love when a client approaches me with a job i've never done and asks me if i can do it....the answer is always yes. how else would i learn? and its nice to be paid in the process.

the downside is the space between jobs( and income). gotta live on a budget. and theres no company insurance, 401k, etc.

i'd say the pros outweigh the cons---if you have the constitution for it.

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 01:27 PM
I've been seriously considering it, especially since I go married and my wife can take care of the medical/dental/401k issues. But its a matter of getting the jobs, and that's where I have the problems. Its not that I couldn't find the work, I just don't like having to find it, I'm not a salesman.

How did you get started?

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 01:30 PM
I've really been considering going freelance all the way...but I'm pretty dependent on knowing I'll have guaranteed money every month...it's a big investment to dedicate yourself to freelance entirely...

I do like catching extra work on the side though...along with my regular job...it makes things interesting some months...

there is a book on freelance design by a guy named Michael Fleischman...anyone heard of it or have it??

iGav
May 29, 2002, 01:57 PM
What's a 401k???????

Zenith
May 29, 2002, 01:59 PM
I haven't finished my studies yet, but I use my Mac for sound production and graphics (web, 3D) almost all the time (all the time i don't play games... :p ).

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by iGAV
What's a 401k???????

its a corporate stock matching retirement thing (I guess only in the US, but don't quote me) You basically put away pretax money for your retirement and your company matches a certain percent. I take 12% of my pretax salary and my company puts in 6% (which is much higher than most companies).

When I'm 60 or 65, I can take the money out and use it, and its been sitting around earning interest. Not too bad actually.

iGav
May 29, 2002, 02:20 PM
Sounds like a private pension....... actually do you guys have pensions in the states???

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 02:35 PM
I don't have a 401K...mainly because my work does not provide it...

but on my own....I opted for a Roth IRA...works better for how I'm able to use it... ;)

teabgs
May 29, 2002, 03:51 PM
I said yes, though I cant use my 6500 for freelance work...I use the computers I get access to at work...will use my new tower come July/august when I get whatever is released at MWNY

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
I said yes, though I cant use my 6500 for freelance work...I use the computers I get access to at work...will use my new tower come July/august when I get whatever is released at MWNY

I always had a problem with that, my freelance I wanted to keep on my personal machine. But everyonce in a while the jobs end up on my work machine. I have to aviod that.

Any one ever have a conflict with this?

eyelikeart
May 29, 2002, 05:06 PM

I always had a problem with that, my freelance I wanted to keep on my personal machine. But everyonce in a while the jobs end up on my work machine. I have to aviod that.

Any one ever have a conflict with this?

absolutely...even though the idea of being paid on the clock while doing personal work is always appealing...it usually isn't the best method to accomplish things...

however, when I was awaiting the arrival of my TiBook last year...my boss pretty much said I could do whatever I needed to do here...since I have keys to the building and all...which I thought was damned cool of him...;)

3rdpath
May 29, 2002, 05:59 PM
I've been seriously considering it, especially since I go married and my wife can take care of the medical/dental/401k issues. But its a matter of getting the jobs, and that's where I have the problems. Its not that I couldn't find the work, I just don't like having to find it, I'm not a salesman.

How did you get started?

i started freelancing after being caught in the political fallout of an upper management war at a music company where i was a staff writer. after i negotiated my way out( i was gonna be canned anyway...) i thought, ok. what now. and i think thats how most people start freelancing; its such a scary uncertain leap that life has to just push you over the ledge....

but the upside is all it takes is a few connections, a little equipment and you're in business. i really think the gear part of it is so small-the most important piece being whats between your ears:)..as we know, anyone can buy the software.

re: getting clients...the selling yourself part isn't fun but you've got to do it. i'm pretty low-key so most of my clients are also. i don't advertise, all of my clients come from customer referrals but i do stay visible and make sure people i meet socially know what i do( besides everyone always eventually asks). i did a lot of cold calling early in my career and i don't think i got one job from it though it may work for others. referrals also raise the caliber of your prospective clients.

the downside is having to call people about overdue bills or renegotiate an everexpanding project...though after a while i know which clients will be late payers and which ones will try to finesse new work into a project( most of my jobs are flat fees).

it sounds like you're in a good position to start moving that way. having the
insurance and stuff thru the mrs is good and you're already doing some freelance work which means you've got the connections to branch out from.
just be prepared for the initial income loss and the meager times between jobs.

oh, big question to ask...how dos the mrs feel about it. will she feel ok about being the one with the steady job and what happens if you decide to expand the family( if she wants to quit or curtail work). not trying to be personal but those are the big hurdles i've jumped( more like crawled over...) .

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
oh, big question to ask...how dos the mrs feel about it. will she feel ok about being the one with the steady job and what happens if you decide to expand the family( if she wants to quit or curtail work). not trying to be personal but those are the big hurdles i've jumped( more like crawled over...) .

Well, we've talked about it. One of the other reccomendations from a friend is to save up 6 months of my current salary (through freelance while I'm working) so I have something to fall back on during a slow period. I think I might actually do this and it will take me a couple years to get there, but I can afford to be patient.

We'll see. Thanks for the input!:D

D

Grokgod
May 29, 2002, 08:08 PM
Mmm a woman that talks PDF!

Where have you been all my life, hiding in front of the warm glow of a computer?

I agree on the PDF format and all its glory, i think that it will be the standard if it isnt already? Its rather a great failsafe for print jobs with some printers that are in the stone age still and havent upgraded to the newest app etc.

I use my mac for all kinds of work and then use my laptop to present it to clients or show off the people at the coffee shop i go to.

Freelance and university work.