Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesFoote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I'm currently half way done developing my first iPhone application, The Apper. What it does is it gives you a list of popular news/reviews websites for App Store games, and when you click on one, you get an RSS feed of that website's latest articles. I will be including over 8 major sites for v1.0, and more sites and better features for v1.1 and beyond.

What I still need to know is if Apple is even going to accept my app into the store. What do you think?

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
It seems to me to be just another RSS reader?

If that's the case, I think it will not be accepted in the app store since it's a duplication of what Safari does.

In order to make it into the App store, I think you need to implement additional features into your app that distinguishes itself away from Safari.

thecoard

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
It depends, are you going to charge for it? I could see a use for it personally.

JamesFoote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
I am almost sure I will not charge anything at all. Maybe .99 cents for a short period of time but at first, I would just like people to get it on their devices.

It gives you the nice buttons on the menu to the best news sites, and then you get an RSS feed that does currently open in Safari (but I hope to change that if anyone can help me)

What sort of features do you think I would need to include?

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Personally I think that opening the pages up in Safari is fine. You are not gonna change that because if you do that, you will have to implement a browser-like function into your app. That's even more of a duplication of what Safari does. So stick to your current strategy on that.

I'm not sure of how the app store, or most of the apps work because I don't own an iphone, but wouldn't it be great that if your app can not only keeps a feed on these apps review sites, but at the same time able to scan the user's apps and see if there are any updates available? Or perhaps a feature whereby the user can choose from the list of apps they have, and you have a "Review" button on the side, and your app can automatically brings up the reviews on that particular app from these various app review sites? It would be a great feature.

JamesFoote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Those ideas sound really awesome!! I will have to wait until a future update to include them, because I'm still not even sure it will get accepted, and it would be a bummer to have all of that work put to waste. I love you thinking though, and I will definitely remember your idea.

Thanks for pointing out the Safari duplication issue. I guess I will just leave it the way it is.

Anybody else have any concerns?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
It seems to me to be just another RSS reader?

If that's the case, I think it will not be accepted in the app store since it's a duplication of what Safari does.

Umm, I guess you haven't been to the app store lately...there's like 50 RSS readers already there.

OP, you do realize that for now, Apple has disabled hotlinking to the App Store on the iPhone? If you click on a link that is supposed to go to the App Store, you get "invalid URL". I realize your app is not neccessarily going to link directly to apps, but my advice for any app that has to do with reading app reviews is to wait until Apple (hopefully) fixes this issue. Otherwise, people aren't going to waste their time reading app review feeds when they can't even click through to the app itself. I've already stopped reading the Pinchmedia feeds on the iPhone.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Why don't you break down all the features your app does specifically, then the rest can perhaps comment on it?

Keep up the good work though! Love to see your app on the app store some day!

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
OP, you do realize that for now, Apple has disabled hotlinking to the App Store on the iPhone? If you click on a link that is supposed to go to the App Store, you get "invalid

I'm sure the OP intends to link to other review websites.

JamesFoote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Features for "Apper" v1.0:

- working RSS feeds from app news and reviews websites
- feeds open quickly in safari
- supports over 8 popular websites
- extremely nice looking menu

If that gets accepted, I'll have a reason to start working on the next update.

Features for "Apper" v2.0:

- all of the 1.0 features
- more sites
- Wishlist: make your list of apps you want to see reviewed, you get alerted once one of the sites posts the requested review
- send feedback
- possibly the ability to read the articles from within the app
- much more

iblastoff

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. why would anyone pay for this app if they can get any other rss reader and add their own feeds as they wish?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.