Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheG00n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hey guys i have made a website in a class and it is an art portfolio site. I was wondering if there was a way of hosting my site on my own in stead of using a free hosting website....for example if i bought my url that i wanted how would i go about hosting that url? I dont know if this matters or not but i have a iMac 2.6 GHz

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Yes you can. I did it for about three years. If you have a static IP address it's really easy, if not, it's still possible, but takes more effort. Once you have your domain name, go into the control panel area and look for where you need to add the address to point it to, which will be your IP address.

If you have a dynamic IP (and most people do) then you'll need to update the control panel every time it changes. Some people's IP changes more than others. My usually changed every 3 or 4 months so I was lucky. The alternative is to use a service like DynDNS, which will keep up with the dynamic IP, and it's free. I haven't used this service so don't know the details of the free service.

TheG00n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Is there a free hosting site out there that will let u have your own URL. For example i am using tripod right now and the URL is mydomain.tripod.com is there a place i can go to host my website with out having the .tripod in the URL??

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Something like godaddy.com will let you. You have to pay but I think I pay less than $10 a year, so it's pretty trivial.

As for "not using comcast" that's true, if you are going to host over port 80. But you can use some obscure port over 1024 (I used to use 4343) but it could be anything around that range.

The only issue is people not being able to hit the site if they are on a LAN with firewall rules disallowing visiting sites hosted on weird ports.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Don't use Comcast. Using Comcast residential Internet for Web hosting is against their rules and they set it up, somehow, to disable customers from hosting.:(

Nothing's disabled in my area. I've been hosting my personal site from my home Comcast connection for a couple of years now. It doesn't see much bandwidth use because I use it to host a Joomla site where I stash useful articles I find on the internet that I'm afraid will go away if I just bookmark them.
BTW my IP address hasn't changed once since I started doing this. Who needs a static IP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.