PDA

View Full Version : good ol' turntables

question fear
Jan 22, 2004, 02:13 PM
so i was rearranging my room today, and put on some records while i did it...and i was struck by how much i enjoy the sound i get from the turntable...anyone else feel like records are worth the extra effort to find/play?
-carly

krimson
Jan 22, 2004, 02:55 PM
me me me!!!
but all the vinyl i have is club music.. and some classical, and some jazz... i think it just sounds richer, warmer.

question fear
Jan 22, 2004, 03:08 PM
exactly.
i have quite the mix...some new punk stuff, some stuff from the 60s and 70s i took from my parents, and whatever's struck my fancy in record stores.
it just has such depth...mmm.
-carly

evoluzione
Jan 22, 2004, 03:15 PM
most definitely.

just like photography, no matter how far advanced digital gets, film will never die, just like vinyl will never die

bont
Jan 22, 2004, 03:44 PM
Its a topic as ancient as Mac v Windows, but vinyl definitely sounds better than cd :)

virividox
Jan 22, 2004, 04:38 PM
ooo this is gonna start a heated debate, i find that sometimes vinyl sounds better, i guess it has this x factor, but theres no denying sometimes some audio that has been digitally remastered just kicks it!!! but digital is the way to go because it portable.

TEG
Jan 22, 2004, 04:43 PM
Vinyl Rocks. I'm a "Millennial" and I love turntables.

Also Laser Disc Rocks because of the rich Analog Sound.

Analog Phones also are good.

Regardless of what marketing wants to say, Analog is better for sound than digital.

TEG

Awimoway
Jan 22, 2004, 04:55 PM
The title of the thread reminded me of this ;):

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/peanuts/meet_the_gang/images/strips/f4b1.gif

bousozoku
Jan 22, 2004, 04:59 PM
I miss being able to play my vinyl. I have some specialty stuff: direct-to-disc, 45 rpm 12 inchers, and the second-ever commercial digital recording.

However, I'm ready to move it all to digital because turntable technology stinks. I went through all the moving coil, moving magnet, S-shaped tonearms, straight tonearms, p-mounts, belt-drive, direct drive.

If I could find a nice direct-drive turntable with a tangentially-set, straight tonearm, I'd be happy. Oh wait, one that was less than $600. :D I love those museum pieces but, I just wanna play music.

Cheese
Jan 22, 2004, 07:30 PM
Vinyl Rocks!!!

Macmaniac
Jan 22, 2004, 08:30 PM
My parents have a huge collection of Vinyl and there a certain sound to vinyl that makes it appealing. On a good record the sound quality can be superb, and of course there is the charm of seeing something actually spinning to listen to your music.

question fear
Jan 23, 2004, 10:19 AM
As I am reading this thread and admiring my stack o records...i was thinking of another fun side benefit to vinyl...the album art.
For example, I have a veruca salt album on vinyl, and the cover is a work of art in and of itself...the picture detail is far better than one gets on cd art.
Its interesitng, i dont care about cd covers at all, but record ones i cherish.
-carly

eyelikeart
Jan 23, 2004, 10:44 AM
I still feel that vinyl has a sound that cannot be replicated, no matter how high-tech the quality is. I used to dj back in high school, and still have a bunch of old records...none of which I'd really do much with now, but good for nostalgia. ;)

sleepy_kev
Jan 23, 2004, 11:09 AM
I think the point is not really that vinyl sounds better - that's very subjective - but you can't really argue that it doesn't sound different, clearly it does. That's why people, myself included, get so excited about it.

What's annoying is that I'm sure the majority of new vinyl released these days (with many very notable exceptions) is generally poorer than it used to be. That might just be me though.

Round my house anyway, vinyl lives on :)

crenz
Jan 23, 2004, 12:52 PM
I haven't grown up using Vinyl, and I only own about two vinyl records (plus lots more CDs) myself, but the sound is definitely very special... can't really define it. It's a bit like the difference between analog (studio) tapes and digital recording, I guess.

evolu
Jan 23, 2004, 01:00 PM
Cameron Crowe has started his own record label, apparently they are only releasing on vinyl.

I love the convenience of MP3, love the instant variety. The sound is dope as well...

But there is nothing like 2 turntables and a mixer to keep me going late.

I haven't really played too much with Traktor, mainly because you can't TOUCH the vinyl!