PDA

View Full Version : Best Sub-$400 Display For Photography

SubaruNation555
Sep 23, 2008, 01:00 PM
I am looking to get either a 20" or 24" display for photographic use. I need color accuracy and image quality to be the deciding factor. I know that most, if not all 20" (with the exception of the Apple Cinema Display) use TN panels. I do have access to a monitor calibration tool but that leads me to a question or two:

-Are TN panels less responsive to calibration, are they inherent going to show less of the color gambit?
-Is the % a monitor shows of the color gambit crucial or is what colors it shows or doesn't show more important?
-Are any TN panels 8-bit?
-Are there any non-Apple 20" S-IPS panels anymore?
Should I discount all TN panels for photo work?

Thanks for your time.

JoeG4
Sep 23, 2008, 02:39 PM
I bought a new 20" ADC cinema display on ebay back in April, paid a nice hunk less than $400 (I think it was $350!) - the G4 that I ended up buying (haha, also new, believe it or not) had an ADC jack and that all worked well.

Best damn thing I could've done for the $$ as far as the display is concerned, IMHO one of the best panels I've used, and I've had/messed with many Cinema Displays before.

Stick with an IPS style screen, they tend to feel more like an LCD should (staring at an object on the wall) instead of what they shouldn't be (some kinda unstable object being projected in your face!)

alphaod
Sep 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
-Are TN panels less responsive to calibration, are they inherent going to show less of the color gambit?

You can calibrate them, but they have poor off-axis color.

-Is the % a monitor shows of the color gambit crucial or is what colors it shows or doesn't show more important?

The more the merrier. It's difficult to print a color your can't see. ;)

-Are any TN panels 8-bit?

They are predominantly 6-bit.

-Are there any non-Apple 20" S-IPS panels anymore?

Well the Dell 2007FPW is S-IPS if you get lucky.

Should I discount all TN panels for photo work?

For casual work it will do, but I would get S-IPS or at least PVA/MVA.

SubaruNation555
Sep 23, 2008, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've decided not to make any compromises and get a used 20" Apple Cinema Display. Just one more question. I know there is the "old" vs. newer version. I've heard the older model isn't as bright. Is that the only difference?

MrJingles
Sep 23, 2008, 10:53 PM
I am looking to get either a 20" or 24" display for photographic use.

I bought a LG L246WP 24in MVPA (I believe but it's not TN) 8bit LCD and have had it connected to my iMac for over a year now and I love it! I use it for graphic design/photography and I got it on sale for $400.. just not sure if they sell it still or not but it's a huge improvement over your usual TN screens, it has 178/178 viewing angle.