PDA

View Full Version : I need revenge

phreakout13
Jan 22, 2004, 03:14 PM
hi
My sisters are bieng brats and wont let me on the computer so they can use AIM. We have an older one but they refuse to use that one just for the sake of using the new one. Meanwhile, I need to use my iPod, which is one of the main reasons we got a new computer. Can anyone suggest any annoying little things to do to their accounts? Thanks!
P.S. I know their passwords!

jxyama
Jan 22, 2004, 03:21 PM
ha ha, funny...

is it a Mac? are you using iChat?

if iChat, then a good one is to change the alias so that the buddy list would show the name of the person different from the owner of the AIM handle. example:

say your sister's friend jane doe had a handle "jdoe" and another of her friend david smith had a handle "dsmith"

simply alias jdoe to show up as david smith and dsmith to show up as jane doe...

of course, you can log in, start sending warning to all her buddies and she'll have no one to IM with very quickly...

and lastly, you can just change their password! :D

Doctor Q
Jan 22, 2004, 03:35 PM
Three ideas:

1. Rather than planting tricks on the computer, just talk to your sisters' friends in AIM using their account. Maybe they will be so horrified at the thought of you talking to their friends and saying something embarrassing that they will want to stay off the computer you use.

2. Hide AIM and replace it with any program (with the AIM icon) that gets an error when launched, or a document that says "Application Damaged. File /Library/Drivers/aimapp.lib missing." If that computer seems "broken", they might use the other one.

3. Tell your parents that proper social development requires that both you and your sisters have personal computers, not a shared one. After enough whining and pleading, they might give in!

phreakout13
Jan 22, 2004, 03:35 PM
by the way, I have an eMac running OS X 10.3 and I have no idea what iCat is, although I wouldn't mind knowing...

SilentPanda
Jan 22, 2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
2. Hide AIM and replace it with any program (with the AIM icon) that gets an error when launched, or a document that says "Application Damaged. File /Library/Drivers/aimapp.lib missing." If that computer seems "broken", they might use the other one.

Isn't there a "bomb.app" in the dev tools? Doesn't it cause a kernel panic?

*whistles innocently*

Or you could just change their keyboard map to say... Dvorak.

Or if you have a router and you know the password you can just go to the old computer, access the router, deny internet to the IP they are using, then when they leave due to no internet, reenable access and use away.

SilentPanda
Jan 22, 2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by phreakout13
by the way, I have an eMac running OS X 10.3 and I have no idea what iCat is, although I wouldn't mind knowing...

iChat and AIM... pretty much the same thing... AIM is AOL's version of instant messenger and iChat is Apples IM program that goes through AOL's servers....

1macker1
Jan 22, 2004, 03:56 PM
A desktop background from rotten.com will do the trick, my cousin liked using iChat on my mac til i loaded that desktop photo. **snicker**

virividox
Jan 22, 2004, 04:04 PM
i like the idea of the router thing, it isnt too obvious yet it does teh trick

wdlove
Jan 22, 2004, 04:31 PM
hi
My sisters are bieng brats and wont let me on the computer so they can use AIM. We have an older one but they refuse to use that one just for the sake of using the new one. Meanwhile, I need to use my iPod, which is one of the main reasons we got a new computer. Can anyone suggest any annoying little things to do to their accounts? Thanks!
P.S. I know their passwords!

The big problem is that the revenge could backfire on you. What is wrong with the other computer? What type?

You should try just sitting down with your sisters. List the priorities. Try to negotiate computer use time.

Awimoway
Jan 22, 2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by SilentPanda
Isn't there a "bomb.app" in the dev tools? Doesn't it cause a kernel panic?

*whistles innocently*

That's a lovely idea. Copy the chat app's icon to bomb.app, rename it to have the same name as the chat app, and place it everywhere the chat app used to be (don't forget aliases, if there are any).

Another idea is to auction off some piece of esoterica (your pocket lint, for example) on eBay with a sob story about how you need your own computer. Start the bidding at, say, $500 and hope for the best.

TEG
Jan 22, 2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by SilentPanda

Or you could just change their keyboard map to say... Dvorak.

That would be the best. Don't forget to also change the system to use a foriegn Language, like say Japaneese, or Chineese.

TEG

coopdog
Jan 22, 2004, 05:05 PM
Do you have an admin account to the computer? If not make a root account then you can login asroot in the login screen and full access to the computer, Change passwords whatever. OK this is what you do!!!

My friends and I did it on all the schools Macs in a lab once. What you do is take a full screen shot of the screen (Command shift 3) Then what you do is move all the desktop icons into a folder so they can't click on them. Then hide the dock and move it to a differnt position. Then make the screen shot the desktop. They will think that the dock is there and all icons are there but all they will be clicking is the desktop no the real icons or dock. HAHAHA and after awhile you want to set it back just drag out the desktop items from the folder you hid. Then change the dock and desktop back! No one at school could figure it out. And there were many restarts to try and fix the problem. Then we would fix the problem and not tell them how we did it. HAHA good trick!

Later just to bug the **** out of them there is a file you can change that will make the magnified dock size take up more than the screen. I forget the path to the file but it works and pisses people off!

Powerbook G5
Jan 22, 2004, 05:26 PM
My friends and I used to do the screen shot prank to the PCs at school all the time. It was a classic but fooled everyone every time. It even fools the ITs.

Geetar
Jan 22, 2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
The big problem is that the revenge could backfire on you. What is wrong with the other computer? What type?

You should try just sitting down with your sisters. List the priorities. Try to negotiate computer use time.

I've thought this several times- you're too nice for this place:D ;)

But please -stay just as you are. The milk of human kindness is curdled enough around here already.

Frohickey
Jan 22, 2004, 09:07 PM
Sounds like a time-sharing arrangement needs to be done here.

Its bad karma to do account-tampering.

phreakout13
Jan 22, 2004, 09:15 PM
thanks for the input everyone! I like simple pranks. The desktop pic one works great!

Awimoway
Jan 22, 2004, 09:43 PM
Do share your results/experience. :)

wdlove
Jan 22, 2004, 09:50 PM
thanks for the input everyone! I like simple pranks. The desktop pic one works great!

I will be very anxious to find out what approach you decide to employ. Looking forward to the results.

scem0
Jan 22, 2004, 09:50 PM
Ive had and have the same problem.

I have two sisters too...

Unfortunately, there really isnt anything you can do. :(

Sisters don't bend to the will of brothers.

Sorry,

scem0

Powerbook G5
Jan 22, 2004, 10:32 PM
They do when you are the older brother of your two sisters. :D

Not to mention it is easy to pick up the phone and have the internet go down back when we had dialup...

But after we got cable, I wired the whole house with ethernet and bought a router so that the whole family may be able to share at once. Now we have cable, a router, and when my sister and I are both home, there are 5 computers at home:

My Parents have a 2.8 GHz Dell
One of my sisters has a 2.4 GHz Toshiba laptop
The other has a 1.6 GHz Compaq
And I have a 1.25 GHz G4 and a 400 MHz G3 PowerBook

They all share harmoniously and life is good...until they all start having issues with XP, at which I curse having to fix yet another PC. It is either me or XP, but it was kind of difficult just finding Device Manager now since it is buried behind so many graphical menus and I swear, the "Network" control panel is no longer to be found and you are stuck using a wizard that never has what you need to do.

coopdog
Jan 22, 2004, 10:33 PM
my friends sister kept DLing on kazza and laggin the connection. So he just blocked the ports and now shes all pissed she can't DL music. haha

Doctor Q
Jan 22, 2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
And I have a 1.25 GHz G4 and a 400 MHz G3 PowerBookWell, silly me, I had assumed you had a PowerBook G5! :)

Powerbook G5
Jan 22, 2004, 11:08 PM
I can put them together and dub it a PowerBook G9.

Nermal
Jan 23, 2004, 12:10 AM
Press Ctrl-Option-Command-8 :)

phreakout13
Jan 23, 2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
Press Ctrl-Option-Command-8 :)

what's that do? (seriously):confused:

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Awimoway
That's a lovely idea. Copy the chat app's icon to bomb.app, rename it to have the same name as the chat app, and place it everywhere the chat app used to be (don't forget aliases, if there are any).

Another idea is to auction off some piece of esoterica (your pocket lint, for example) on eBay with a sob story about how you need your own computer. Start the bidding at, say, $500 and hope for the best.

the bomb app was developed to show it does not do a kernel panic...

the thing to do is write an apple script with an infinite loop that every time opens a new finder window. put it in their startup items.
another thing to do is place an apple script that logs them out in their startup items...
the only solution for these anoying thingies would be deleting the scripts...

rueyeet
Jan 23, 2004, 03:12 PM
If you just need to sync the iPod with iTunes/MusicMatch, is there any reason you can't just interrupt them a second to plug the iPod in, then let it do its thing while they keep chatting? (assuming you don't all have separate accounts, you don't specify what computer you're using)

I agree with wdlove....rather than become the hacker of your household, why don't you talk to your sisters, your parents, or both about fair use of computing time? What could you possibly do with your iPod that would take more than a few minutes, and what the heck is wrong with your sisters that they can't even give you that much time on the computer?

Awimoway
Jan 23, 2004, 03:15 PM
what's that do? (seriously):confused:

Your screen goes monochrome and in negative.

Gymnut
Jan 23, 2004, 03:31 PM
I remember back in intermediate school some ten years ago, we used to mess with the computers in the lab by placing shutdown in the startup items. Of course this was pre OSX but it sure was good fun watching an unsuspecting victim power on only to have the computer's screen go black.

Frohickey
Jan 23, 2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Ive had and have the same problem.

I have two sisters too...

Unfortunately, there really isnt anything you can do. :(

Sisters don't bend to the will of brothers.

Sorry,

scem0

They do if you are the one with a drivers license and have the keys to the car. ;)