Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Totally unimpressed, first off I have two car decks that control the old ipods, the new ones do not, none of the old accessories work either, when I contacted them about it they said "Sure they will" I said "No they won't", they then transferred me to tech support who said "They should work, let me check" a few minutes goes by and he comes back and says, "Oh i need to schedule you to come into the closest Apple store so they can set you up with new accessories" (at my expense). Anyhow, I'm sending all three back the new nano's suck, the stupid coverflow thing whenever you tilt which can't be disabled is frickin annoying.

I said to the lady, in order to get the 10% stocking fee removed "I have a volkswagen with an ipod controller in it, are you telling me I need to buy a new car every time a new ipod comes out?"

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Oh and this accellerometer is complete annoyance, why you can't turn it off I don't know, but you can't even adjust the volume when the dumb thing is tilted.

Also, i dunno if the old nano's are this way or not as I have a classic, but the headphone jack is so close to the charger plug in (assuming you buy the new charger) that you have to use the special "mini" plugs, which sell for $19.99 on apple.com good times.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Unfortunately the same thing happened when the 3G Nano, 6G Classic, and iPhone (original) came out - none of the old accessories (with a few exceptions) would work. This may be good for the aftermarket sales, but bad for the consumers.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Unfortunately the same thing happened when the 3G Nano, 6G Classic, and iPhone (original) came out - none of the old accessories (with a few exceptions) would work. This may be good for the aftermarket sales, but bad for the consumers.

I dunno how they plan to have places like VW putting the ipod connection in their car when you don't even know which ipod it will work with. If you drive a new VW off the lot today with an ipod connection, drive strait to the local best buy and buy an ipod they won't work.... awesome! Even Microsoft doesn't do that with their crap Zune, all three gens use the same accessories.

juswest

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Isn't the accelerometer also used for playing videos. So you just want coverflow disabled. I didn't need special plugs for charging.

kingofkolt

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Isn't the accelerometer also used for playing videos. So you just want coverflow disabled.

The fact that you can flip a video over is kinda cool. I just hate the cover flow feature. I'm having the same problems as the other posters who can't adjust the volume.

I didn't need special plugs for charging.

Are your plugs Apple-brand? I have a JBL OnStage with an iPod dock, and my iPod says it won't charge on the dock. "Charging not supported by this accessory", I believe it said. Same thing with my third-party wall charger. Since the iPod didn't even come with a charger (just a USB cable to connect to my Mac), I have to connect it to the computer just to charge it, meaning I have to eject it afterwards. Additionally, as someone mentioned, I can't plug my mini-stereo cable into my iPod when it's plugged into my computer, since it's too crowded.

juswest

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
The fact that you can flip a video over is kinda cool. I just hate the cover flow feature. I'm having the same problems as the other posters who can't adjust the volume.

Are your plugs Apple-brand? I have a JBL OnStage with an iPod dock, and my iPod says it won't charge on the dock. "Charging not supported by this accessory", I believe it said. Same thing with my third-party wall charger. Since the iPod didn't even come with a charger (just a USB cable to connect to my Mac), I have to connect it to the computer just to charge it, meaning I have to eject it afterwards. Additionally, as someone mentioned, I can't plug my mini-stereo cable into my iPod when it's plugged into my computer, since it's too crowded.

Well I don't like coverflow either on the nano but I'm just saying he said the accelerometer and thats still needed as I think watching stuff vertical is a little on such a constricted screen.but he just wants apple disable coverflow not the accelerometer

Oh yea. I just have the simple apple charger. But yea they should make the products compatible. Pretty wack to make people buy new accessories. Apple does some pretty awkward things to me

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
"Charging not supported by this accessory" I have two decks I bought with my original ipods in two of my cars and this is what i get, no way in hell i am buying a brand new head unit in both vehicles every time I buy a new ipod.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
This pisses me off so much with my home stereo.

And I have no way to fix it(?).

I am surprised to see that the nanos share the problem with my Touch.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
"Charging not supported by this accessory" I have two decks I bought with my original ipods in two of my cars and this is what i get, no way in hell i am buying a brand new head unit in both vehicles every time I buy a new ipod.

Apple told accessory makers to stop using the firewire pins for charging more than 2 years ago.

Those that didn't follow suit are now incompatible.

Yes it's a pain but it's the accessory maker's faults for not complying with Apple's requests. Now it's totally standardised, only USB for everything,

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Apple told accessory makers to stop using the firewire pins for charging more than 2 years ago.

Those that didn't follow suit are now incompatible.

Yes it's a pain but it's the accessory maker's faults for not complying with Apple's requests. Now it's totally standardised, only USB for everything,

Yea that all well and good, I do like the firewire charging, that aside, not much I can do. I'm not replacing two car stereos just so I can use the new Nano. I went ahead and returned them ordered two of the first gen touches for a couple bucks more, I'll just hold onto my classic and not replace the 3rd nano.

phinsup

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Las vegas
Just wanted to say apples customer ROCKS. I shipped them back yesterday, since I went fedex, they credited it back to my card TODAY and guess what they even gave me the shipping back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.