Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPulse Zack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Jacksonville, FL
Anyone used the MacWireless 11b USB Adapter ? Does it work well? Pros/Cons anyone?

Specifically how does it work with Panther 10.3.2?

As you can tell from my post here, the D-Link DWL-122 has poor performance under OS X.

I'm hesistant to run out and purchase the MacWireless USB unit because of the $80 price tag. I got the D-Link for $29 on sale ($10 rebate through CompUSA).

Thanks!

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
do you have a specific situation that would require the use of this device?

if i am not mistaken this is a wireless reciever? you need a wireless network to begin with.

if you DO have a wireless network, why dont' you buy an airport card for your mac. that will enable that mac to run on any wireless network (that it has access to)

my suggestion is buy an airport card (new or used, ebay!)

correct me if i am wrong.

MacPulse Zack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for the help Michael, but I wouldn't be needing a wireless receiver if I didn't have a wireless network to begin with, and a rather large one at that :)

The MacWireless USB adapter would be used in place of the dead ethernet on a tray loading iMac Grape flavor 333Mhz. It doesn't have a slot for an airport card unfortunately, otherwise I'd go with AirPort.

The D-Link adapter works absolutely horrible, constantly losing connection, dropping the connection completely or freezing the Mac whenever uploads start.

Anyone else have MacWireless USB adapter experience?

Thanks!

MacPulse Zack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks again Michael! I looked at that Netgear unit and it is PC Windows only.

I've done my research and I've only found two USB -> Wireless adapters that work on Macintosh, AFAIK: The D-Link DWL-122 and the MacWireless 11b USB Adapter.

I've been fortunate enough to have tested the D-Link unit already, and as I've stated already it works horrible.

I'm hoping someone here has already used the MacWireless unit and can say that it works reliable. I'm not interested in being the guinea pig for it at $80.

Thanks for the help anyone!

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Does this work well with Panther?

I'm about to buy my Bondi Blue iMac some upgrades and I was looking at this and considering it.

hexstar

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2004
I've just purchased it and am pacing the floor waiting for it to arrive in the mail :D - I've heard alot of good things about it, from the reviews linked to on the products website to a guy at our computer store CompUSA saying that it does work well with MacOS X Panther, he saw it in action at a presentation and I believe hes even tried it out himself, can't wait :D (got overnight delivery *feels geeky* :p)...MacPulse Zack, it only use to be $80? Now it's $99.98! :eek: Oh well, sounds like it's well worth it. :cool:

EDIT: Just got it today and it works great! :D Just installed the drivers and application to manage the usb adapter and it worked, am using MacOS X 10.3.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.