Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mopar247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I bought the adapter cable to go from the mini-whatever port to vga and connected it to my samsung hdtv. The tv only shows the background I have selected on my macbook, but nothing else. I cannot find any selection for mirroring or selecting a primary display in the display preferences. I'm probably missing something pretty simple, but this is my first mac and I just got it in the mail today lol Any solutions or advice? Thanks.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The Second display is working correctly, you are in extended Desktop Mode. To toggle mirroring, open System Preferences, then click on Displays. Once open, you will find two windows, the main one (with the three Skittles in the upper right) should be for the MacBook's screen, the other will be for HDTV. One of those will have a Tab that says Arrange, click on that then click the check box for Extend Desktop to this display.

Alternatively, if there is a key on your keyboard that looks like two overlapping boxes, pressing that should toggle between mirror and extended modes.

TEG

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Attach a mouse and external keyboard, make sure its plugged in and VIOLA....it will show your TV as the display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.