Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I have tried the following products and will give you my final verdict ( save your money :p )

Invisible shield
+ Very tacky ( good for the back, annoying for the front) very resistant against scratches
+ When applied properly sticks very well to iPhone 3g corners
- Extremely tacky for glass screen causes way too much drag, not 100% optically clear ( rainbow lines)
- After a while there is a slight yellow tinge ( slightly noticeable on white iPhones)
- Orange peel texture looks nasty on front glass

Bodyguardz
+ 100% optically clear front glass ( no rainbows, no lines, no haziness )
+ VERY EASY to apply, much easier than Invisible shield ( just put a bunch of solution on)
- Rear shield could be grippier, but still grippier than naked phone
- After 3 tries, the rear corners refuse to stick ( you can clip the corners with a nail cutter)
- Surprisingly not very scratch resistant ( small scratches show up, but they heal after a few days)

Best Skin ever

+ Cheap !
+ easier to apply than invisible shield
- Its a mediocre product, between Bodyguardz and Invisible shield
- Orange peel texture looks nasty on front glass

Power Support Crystal shield

+Fool proof to apply ( and extra incase of mess up)
+ 100% optical clarity
- Not very scratch resistant
- Unlike the previously mentioned shields, any scratch on this protector WILL NOT HEAL itself

Power Support Anti glare

+ LOVE THE FEEL, very slick
+ Fool proof to apply, hides smudges very well
- Adds a very annoying frost look
- Like other power support products scratches do not heal
Final Verdict ( and current setup)

My recommendation is the Bodyguardz front glass, and the Invisibleshield rear shield

The reasons for this are

+ Bodyguardz has THE BEST optical clarity, very easy to apply, and relatively ( but not the best) scratch protection. Very little orange peel compared to Invisible Shield, and there's less "Drag" compared to the Invisible shield.

+ The rear Invisible Shield, when applied properly gives the best "feel". Sure it doesn't look as good as the Bodyguardz, but I love how scratch resistant it is, and love the added grip.

If you only have the money for a single product for the front and back then I would recommend the Bodyguardz full shield package

GeneticFreak84

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Sweet review.

I personally have the Invisible Shield on the rear of the phone. I love the grip and the protection it gives. I don't think it looks bad at all and I don't understand why people complain about the "orange peel" effect. It adds so much grip!

On the front I have the SGP Anti-Fingerprint film. I'm assuming this is very similar to the Power Support Anti-Glare film.

Overall, I'm very satisifed with my current setup and I don't think I'll be changing it anytime soon...I hope :eek:

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
oh fyi

do not clean any of these screen protectors with

goo be gone or any alcohol products

you can "soften" the material and cause small abrasion marks

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
It's all personal preference, because I have a different setup

I use BSE for everything. Believe me, I've tried everything and every combo. For me, i like a backpiece that is one piece. IS and SGP shields have separate stickers for the chrome, which adds seems and there is inevitably overlap which is ugly.

Bodyguardz is OK, but I could never get the front screen part on, without irregularities. Also, I kinda like the tackiness on the screen as well, and I think BSE is similar to IS, in that regard.

My rank order would be:

BSE > IS > SGP > Bodyguardz

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
IF you are concerned about overlap, parts not sticking, etc you can use

a nail cutter + a dull exacto blade to cut the parts of the shield you do not want

The bodyguardz rear is a single piece so im confused by your comment

Great minds think alike

here's a video of someone else that found that a nail cutter works great for cutting parts of the shield that do not stick that well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJs63U9IiQ

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I have the IS on my PSP, had the BSE on my iPhone 2G, and currently use the BodyGuardz for my iPhone 2G.

IS and BSE are EXTREMELY similar in feel and are pretty tacky
. The BSE would make my iPhone stick to tables and also picked up lint pretty fast.

I switched to the BG because it is less tacky than the other 2 and feels smoother. The only bad part is that I can't lay the phone on my arm rest without it sliding around while I'm driving anymore. :)

Overall, I'd recommend the BodyGuardz.

iLounge.com reviews all 3 and the BG came out on top.

I've had experience of all 3:

BSE and IS are the same material, but BSE is cheaper and much better cut, so forget IS straight away.

Difference between BSE and BGZ is that BSE skin looks a bit more orange-peely and feels more tacky/rubbery than the BGZ. For the screen I be more inclined to go for the BGZ as it is truer to the "feel" of the naked screen, but the BSE might be a better choice for the back as the phone feels less likely to slip out of your hand. I guess that's where personal preference comes in.

as you can see others agree exactly with my recommendations

If you want the front to look great and have a slick feel Bodyguardz is the best

as the reviewers mention, some people really love the tack, i really like that it stops it from sliding around in my car aswell :p ( I have the IS rear)

so the choice is clear

Front- Slick feel, Scratch protection, Optical clarity - Bodyguardz
Back - Grippy feel, scratch protection - BSE or IS

GeneticFreak84

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
as you can see others agree EXACTLY with my recommendations

If you want the front to look great and have a slick feel Bodyguardz is the best

as the reviewers mention, some people really love the tack, i really like that it stops it from sliding around in my car aswell :p ( I have the IS rear)

so the choice is clear

Front- Slick feel, Scratch protection, Optical clarity - Bodyguardz
Back - Grippy feel, scratch protection - BSE or IS

How difficult is it to install the Bodyguardz for the LCD screen? Do you have to spray the LCD screen with liquid or is it a static film like the Power Support film?

sye46

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
I've used BSE, IS, and Bodyguardz

IS (the 1st version) - Hardest to install (back). Same material as BSE

BSE - Super easy installation front and back. No bent corners. material is kinda "sticky" which helps grip the phone better. Super cheap

Bodyguardz - Easy to install, but the corners are impossible to install without it popping up. Collects dust in the corners, also the front skin... I had "tiny" little bubbles that never went away. Other brands didn't do that. The skin itself feels smoother, but there is a "orange peel" look to it still, just not as much as BSE and IS.

My final verdict. 1. BSE 2. Bodyguardz 3. IS

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Meh, although I understand the demand for screen protectors, I see no point. My iPhone screen, which began to be used on launch day, still looks brand new today. If the screen gets a scratch or two, it won't be the end of the world, anyway, since next year, iPhone V3 will be out lol.

Heimlich

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
Meh, although I understand the demand for screen protectors, I see no point. My iPhone screen, which began to be used on launch day, still looks brand new today. If the screen gets a scratch or two, it won't be the end of the world, anyway, since next year, iPhone V3 will be out lol.

I can't live with scratches on my screen for a few months..

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008

I have yet to insult anyone on these forums, but you sir are a fool

The screen is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.

When i had my first iPhone 3G ( before it was dropped) after owning it for 10 days it had already developed tiny scratches. The cost of a screen protector FAR OUTWEIGHS the cost of replacing the iPhone's glass

But it is a personal choice, so I respect your choice not to have one ( but i believe even you will admit that your iPhone currently has scratches on it )

I've used BSE, IS, and Bodyguardz

IS (the 1st version) - Hardest to install (back). Same material as BSE

BSE - Super easy installation front and back. No bent corners. material is kinda "sticky" which helps grip the phone better. Super cheap

Bodyguardz - Easy to install, but the corners are impossible to install without it popping up. Collects dust in the corners, also the front skin... I had "tiny" little bubbles that never went away. Other brands didn't do that. The skin itself feels smoother, but there is a "orange peel" look to it still, just not as much as BSE and IS.

My final verdict. 1. BSE 2. Bodyguardz 3. IS

So let me get this straight

You installed your Bodyguardz shield incorrectly, and you are basing your final opinion on that ? How is that a fair assessment

I agree with you that the IS or BSE are better for the rear shields

Again, a properly applied Bodyguardz FRONT SHIELD, is the BEST front shield protection money can buy

If you had air bubbles, that is because you did not apply it correctly. My front Bodyguardz shield has zero dust, and zero air bubbles, it is 100% optically clear.

The only other shield that was 100% optically clear was the Power support Crystal Screen protector.

The Anti-glare protectors cause the screen to have a frosted look

Both the IS and the BSE shields, even when properly applied still have a bit of "haziness"

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
sweet, thanks i was wondering which was better

I am glad you appreciate the review

You are the reason I posted the review

Look I didn't judge the protectors on ease of install (Power support wins ) , I didn't judge them on cost (BSE wins), I judged them based on the premise of " Best money can buy"

For everyone who doubts this, try my setup ( bodyguardz front, IS/BSE rear). If you are unsatisfied then feel free to respond.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Last night I did a test to see what's better, Bodyguardz or Power Support Crystal Film. Each were installed on the iPhone. I took a key to a bodyguardz and scuffed up the screen. Yes there were lines from the key, but over time and over night they all faded away. Did the same thing wit the Crystal Film and still keyed up.

I think Crystal Film does look better a little better then Bodyguardz. But bodyguardz does seem to hold up better under physical damage vs. crystal film. If you are looking for durability go with bodyguardz. If you want the clearest screen protector out there, then go with crystal film. However if you get a scratch on crystal film you will need to replace it because its very noticeable.

I totally agree with this post I found

The Power support crystal film looks good, but due to the fact that it is a harder plastic it will scratch a lot easier, and the scratches do not heal compared to the Bodyguardz material.

BSE and IS have shields that are thicker, and thus are able to heal better than the Bodyguardz shield, but the optical clarity degradation ( weird rainbow lines) and excessive tackiness is not worth the trade off

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I have yet to insult anyone on these forums, but you sir are a fool

The screen is scratch resistant, not scratch proof.

When i had my first iPhone 3G ( before it was dropped) after owning it for 10 days it had already developed tiny scratches. The cost of a screen protector FAR OUTWEIGHS the cost of replacing the iPhone's glass

But it is a personal choice, so I respect your choice not to have one ( but i believe even you will admit that your iPhone currently has scratches on it )

I wouldn't go as far as to call me a fool. I owned PDAs in the past (zire 71, axim x50v) and I always put screen protectors on and I always got bubbles even though I was very careful in applying it (although yours may not have bubbles). Also, the screen quality would be slightly reduced by having it on and since then I just don't see the point. I haven't tried "new" iPhone screen protectors so I can't comment on their quality, but my phone is a few months old and the screen looks great. And yeah, I agree that the screen is not scratch proof, but it is PRETTY resistant, as shown by PCMag's stress tests (check them out if you haven't seen them). I take excellent care of my iPhone, and let's face it, if you don't have a case, and you drop the phone, screen protector or not, if the angle is right, the screen will shatter. It's happened before to the best of us.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
I wouldn't go as far as to call me a fool. I owned PDAs in the past (zire 71, axim x50v) and I always put screen protectors on and I always got bubbles even though I was very careful in applying it (although yours may not have bubbles). Also, the screen quality would be slightly reduced by having it on and since then I just don't see the point. I haven't tried "new" iPhone screen protectors so I can't comment on their quality, but my phone is a few months old and the screen looks great. And yeah, I agree that the screen is not scratch proof, but it is PRETTY resistant, as shown by PCMag's stress tests (check them out if you haven't seen them). I take excellent care of my iPhone, and let's face it, if you don't have a case, and you drop the phone, screen protector or not, if the angle is right, the screen will shatter. It's happened before to the best of us.

When I get my camera I will take a few pictures of the screen

I understand you're reservations on not having a shield when the results would degrade the optical quality of the iPhone's screen.

I would highly recommend you give the bodyguardz shield a try if you have yet to try it. You get two shields per pack, so the worse that can happen is you screw up the first one and try again :)

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
When I get my camera I will take a few pictures of the screen

I understand you're reservations on not having a shield when the results would degrade the optical quality of the iPhone's screen.

I would highly recommend you give the bodyguardz shield a try if you have yet to try it. You get two shields per pack, so the worse that can happen is you screw up the first one and try again :)

Thanks, maybe one of these days I will give it a try.

My Dell X50V had a great screen and once I put a screen protector on it, it just turned really grainy.

Pictures would be great!

If people don't want to buy screen protectors, at the very least they should get a good quality case.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Here you go, I took some pictures ( I recently replaced the IS shield rear, for a Bodyguardz... its much more photogenic :p )

check out the first picture, its 1600x1200 you can see how optically clear it is

doctajay

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
Is there any place locally to buy the Power Support screen protector besides the apple store?

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Is there any place locally to buy the Power Support screen protector besides the apple store?

moderators can you please delete this post, it has nothing to do with my thread

I don't reccomend any of the power support shields

go with the bodyguardz front shield

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
IS and SGP shields have separate stickers for the chrome, which adds seems and there is inevitably overlap which is ugly.

Did you use the revised IS shield for the 3G? I don't understand how the current version could end up with any overlap, unless it was very poorly applied. I find the separate top and bottom chrome strips to work out very well and is an elegant solution for easing the installation around the the speakers, dock connector, headphone jack, sim card and power button. I sounds like you have not seen the IS in person, but the cut on the IS does not increase the seams beyond what is needed for securely sticking corners.

I completely agree with the OP's option of the IS. I might have to buy a Bodyguardz for the front.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Did you use the revised IS shield for the 3G? I don't understand how the current version could end up with any overlap, unless it was very poorly applied. Personally I find the separate top and bottom chrome strips to work out very well and is an elegant solution for easing the installation around the the speakers, dock connector, headphone jack, sim card and power button.

I completely agree with the OP's option of the IS. I might have to buy a Bodyguardz for the front.

it sounds more like an improper application ( which is unfair for a proper review)

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Did you use the revised IS shield for the 3G? I don't understand how the current version could end up with any overlap, unless it was very poorly applied. I find the separate top and bottom chrome strips to work out very well and is an elegant solution for easing the installation around the the speakers, dock connector, headphone jack, sim card and power button. I sounds like you have not seen the IS in person, but the cut on the IS does not increase the seams beyond what is needed for securely sticking corners.

Yes, i did use the new version. Currently, I have the BSE on my phone, but it's starting to yellow, after only a couple weeks, so I may switch BACK to the IS. I have one sitting in my drawer at the moment, as well as two SGPs.

As for the separate chrome pieces and overlap, it's not a matter of poor application. The reality is that edges tend to fray over time, and the more edges the screen protector has, the more fraying (and dirt getting in, and lift etc). So, I prefer the design of the BSE, where it covers everything, with just one piece. I think it is slightly harder to apply that way, but once it's on, it looks better (JUST MY OPINION).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.