Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Right so here's the deal, I've some how managed to get a reward for doing well in University and will be getting £750 "prize" money around Oct 31st (another £750 in March is due so i can stretch the first budget a bit). I currently have the first SR Macbook sat on my lap and an iphone 3G. Seeing as I didnt earn this money im gonna spend it all without feeling guilty on setting up an "apple office", this will include either the new macbook, or macbook pro whenever it comes out, am yet undecided on this one (am gonna ebay my current MB) ill ad to this an iphone dock/set of speakers (any suggestions) a wireless KB/Mouse set (again any suggestions) and finally a rather large display (last set of suggestions).

So any suggestions as to what I should buy or if anyone has pics of a similar setup of their own then post and explain what each bit of kit is, or finally if you, like me, have made endless lists of your dream setup then links to items would be appreciated. Lets build me a an Apple Office :)

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Firstly, you're coming into £1250 of 'free money' and you want to just splash it out on stuff you don't need, you're only getting because you have "money to burn"? If I were you, I'd stick it in a savings account and put it towards paying off loans or whatever.

Having said that, it's your choice, so do what you want with it, just my 2 cents :)

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Ok money to burn is a little bit of a loose title, its more money that i wasnt expecting to have and now that i do im gonna treat myself and get some good kit that ive wanted for ages, ive wanted to get a decent sized monitor and good keyboard to dock my macbook into for years, just to sort of imitate having myself an imac and its pixel real estate ( I cant justify two computers (yet)), i can understand the keep it and save it mentallity, but thats not really the students way forward is it :), ( on a side note I am keeping a fair wack of it for a trip to greenland over easter time so its not all to be spent just yet)

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Congrats on the new found money. I agree with you. Have some fun with the money. Believe me you will have plenty of time later in life to be always doing the responsible thing. Saving is always good, but you are young and this is money you didn't expect, so have some fun. I like the Apple wireless keyboard. ot so much their mouse. I got the Kensington Si670m Bluetooth mouse and like it a lot. It was $35 USD at Amazon. I think Apple always has their displays on sale in their refurb section (well on the U.S. site they do). I always liked those and will be picking one up soon(they look good and of course easily compatible with your Macbook). You can always pick up a cheaper brand. I'm sure you have plenty of electronic stores around you. Check them out.

Have fun in Greenland. Heard it was really nice. I got some friends that live right outside of London and will be their in the Spring. Doing a little bit of traveling while I'm there.

Good luck.

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
With regards to bluetooth mice aside from the wireless mighty mouse which im not a huge fan off, how is reception and reliability with windows designed (i.e. mice not specifically mac designed) with OS X, I own a MS bluetooth mouse and its terrible with my MB, constantly dropping the signal and the like.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I have the wireless MM and I don't mind it for general use. It is beyond awful for gaming though. If I were you I would get monitor, KB and mouse now and upgrade comp later. Maybe even as soon as your next installment. Your current computer works decently (I am assuming), so let other people with way to much money to burn buy the first batch of updated comps and find out if there are any issues. Whenever you upgrade the comp, the rest of the stuff you bought is still useful. Just my .02

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I have the wireless MM and I don't mind it for general use. It is beyond awful for gaming though. If I were you I would get monitor, KB and mouse now and upgrade comp later. Maybe even as soon as your next installment. Your current computer works decently (I am assuming), so let other people with way to much money to burn buy the first batch of updated comps and find out if there are any issues. Whenever you upgrade the comp, the rest of the stuff you bought is still useful. Just my .02

I have thought about that, I'm reluctant to buy the monitor before the new macbooks/pros come out incase they have 16:9 form rather than 16:10, would like to have matching aspect ratios, also think id get a better price for my current macbook before the general public learns to look at it as the "old" design, but then on the other hand its a v.good mac at the mo and serves me really well, its getting a bit comfusing now, not sure what to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.