Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azcardsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
My new nano 2G (the fat one) got stolen a few months ago along with my gps and Spy sunglasses. Apple wouldnt do anything to help (they suck!). If they could just watch out for the s/n on itunes and then report it to the police that would help a lot. Anyways... Is there an app for the iPod touch 2G that would help you track the person that stole it? (If my touch did get stolen. Its not stolen...yet...)

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Sorry, I'm asking in advance in case the my ipod touch gets stolen. I know the nano is long gone. I just wanted to see if there's anything I could do in case my touch got stolen.
Ok I misread your question. I don't think you can have apps that run in the backgroung from boot.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
I was reading about this iphone app the other day in Gizmo, it would be cool if they did that something like that for the touch but it would have to be wifi related

http://gizmodo.com/5052102/private+i-app-protects-your-iphone-from-the-dumbest-degenerates

Yea thats a cool little app but I don't see it being all that useful.

Lets just say your phone gets stolen and the thief presses that button. OK so you get an email with a google map showing where that button was pressed. Now what are you going to do? Go knock on the person's door and ask if you can have it back? Spend a fortune on lawyers trying to get it back from a person you have absolutely no proof has it? And that is IF they pressed the button while at home and IF while at home the phone could pick up the GPS satellites.

If they made a version for the touch with wifi it might be a little more useful because it could give you the person's IP address but even then you still can't just go in there and take it back. You could call the police and file a report but it's not like they're going to go knocking down the person's door to get your phone back so your only true recourse is still a court battle. Not really worthwhile when you consider what it costs to goto court and what it costs for an ipod.

drstein

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
let me find out this straight

you want apple to monitor the location of every ipod so they can detect the location of a stolen ipod??

I am the only one thinking this is crazy?? please go and read Brave new world, 1984, Farenheit 581 or any nowadays science fiction book that talks about big companies controlling us and come back claiming the same!!!

You really want to give Apple the power to know where you are going all the time? or from where am I synchronizing my ipod?

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
let me find out this straight

you want apple to monitor the location of every ipod so they can detect the location of a stolen ipod??

I am the only one thinking this is crazy?? please go and read Brave new world, 1984, Farenheit 581 or any nowadays science fiction book that talks about big companies controlling us and come back claiming the same!!!

You really want to give Apple the power to know where you are going all the time? or from where am I synchronizing my ipod?

If you read the OP instead of having a knee jerk reaction you would see he was hoping for a program that could simple do what Apple should do and trace the SN of a stolen iPod, such as when the thief plugs it into iTunes.

He didn't ask to be spied on, take a deep breath and adjust your aluminum foil deflector beanie, the evil signals are obviously getting in.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
It actually makes perfect sense. It's similar to what cell phone companies do already. If you report your cell phone as stolen the serial number goes on a stolen list and when someone else tries to activate it, it's blocked and the person is stuck with a worthless cell phone. Apple could easily maintain a stolen ipod list and when someone tries to use it with itunes, Apple could disable the ipod or contact the authorities.

azcardsfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
It would be easy for apple to do but they don't care. They know when iPods get stolen, we just buy new ones. More money in their pocket.

ouiouicestchaud

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Aint that the truth!

It would be easy for apple to do but they don't care. They know when iPods get stolen, we just buy new ones. More money in their pocket.

I am trying to find something with my serial number on it to report my stolen one to the police. I havent a clue where my receipt is but I am hoping i might be able to track the purchase with my credit card. That would be cool, but we will see.

I have tried to use the apple site with no luck. The forum that i found on here said to go to s specific page and there would be an option on to "upload the serial number of the last connected Ipod" Umm yeah, it doesnt excist anymore..

Anyone got any tips?

miniskunk

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
That's a wonderful idea. Aftermarket car stereo manufacturers use a similar concept to deter theft which bricks the receiver making it worthless to a thief if they don't have the faceplate. No reason why Apple cannot do the same remotely. Who would steal an iPod if they knew in all likleyhood the moment they tried to hook it up to a PC and put their own files on it that it would be bricked and useless. I can see why Apple wouldn't be interested due to increased revenue from people replacing their units. They could still profit by charging a small fee say $10 in return for a sticker to attach to the iPod warning that if reported stolen it will be deactivated and possibly traced. At first it might not scare a potential thief but word gets around fast on the net when the iPods start being bricked.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
I think you should call the CIA and ask for a GPS implant (the kind they usually put in undercover agents and hackers).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.