PDA

View Full Version : what is the hardest software application to learn how to use?

jefhatfield
Jan 23, 2004, 03:15 AM
what is the easiest? and any suggestions for improvement?

i find the mac operating systems the easiest to use, then appleworks word processor...clarisworks before it was also good

the old 4.x netscape navigators were a joy to use but now i use microsoft ie/outlook express but it took a little time to learn how to use since it was not as well designed

photoshop and illustrator are a mystery to me and i don't have the patience but i am going to take a class for fun one day...i know i got started off on the wrong foot when i was considering buying them and read up on it...one article said that photoshop was the hardest piece of software to learn of all common titles out there on the market...i got it anyway but my wife uses it as well as illustrator and pagemaker...i got her macromedia freehand but i think she prefers illustrator...and another hard piece of software, or at least poorly designed is microsoft frontpage 2000...yeech!

while microsoft word is easy to use, it has too many features and when i do word processing on the pc, i prefer microsoft works but don't like all the templates

on my pc laptop, i have windows 98 and i often do maintenance wizard on it to keep it optomized but it crashes every now and then but the whole system does require a system restore once a year or more...so i put on windows 2000 but didn't like it much but it was more stable but not entirely multimedia friendly being built right on top of the windows nt platform...windows xp did work those bugs out and is by far the most user friendly of all the windows versions and maybe in another ten years, they can get it right;)

my 2 cents

update: i was just wondering about "common" software titles, not something very expensive and professional only use such as autocad or maya;)

MoparShaha
Jan 23, 2004, 04:48 AM
I've got most of the Adobe apps down, but I've been using them for nearly 10 years. Being an engineering student, I've had plenty of experience with excel, powerpoint, and word. One program I've come across that I find difficult is maya. I downloaded their free education version and have no idea what to do with it. I suppose I'll have to devote a few hours to reading up on it, then give it another shot.

WinterMute
Jan 23, 2004, 05:14 AM
From scratch, probably Logic Platinum, as it assumes a level of understaning of MIDI and audio. The learning curve is very steep.

After that, probably DVD Studio Pro 1, although It really didn't take me as long as I expected.

wordmunger
Jan 23, 2004, 05:45 AM
The easiest program to learn, ever, was MacPaint. What a simple, elegant program. It was beautiful. I remember seeing that on my friend's Mac in 1984 and knowing I needed one. I finally scraped up the cash in 1987 and haven't looked back since.

The hardest programs are probably 3-D rendering programs like Stratavision. Two dimensions are hard enough, but three! That blows your mind. Mathematica is also pretty intense.

I disagree that Photoshop and Illustrator are so difficult. Once you learn the basic controls, they're pretty intuitive. But maybe that's just because I've been working with them for years.

teabgs
Jan 23, 2004, 05:56 AM
the hardest app, regardless of platform also happens to be the one with the most code (I dont remember the number but it's definitely over 50 million lines of code...)

alias Maya. very steep learning curve too. it really takes about 2 years of using it to really start to "get it", and even then there's so much you don't know. Even people that have used it for years always have to learn new stuff and try to figure things out, as you will forget stuff you once knew, theres SO MUCH stuff in it.

iGav
Jan 23, 2004, 06:09 AM
Maya and Renderman are both well up there... I'd also add Flame to the list as well ;)

teabgs
Jan 23, 2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by iGAV
Maya and Renderman are both well up there... I'd also add Flame to the list as well ;)

I've never used renderman...yet...but from what I heard...

and yeah...never even SEEN flame, but I've heard about it as well...

I also hear inferno is up there...

iGav
Jan 23, 2004, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
I've never used renderman...yet...but from what I heard...

and yeah...never even SEEN flame, but I've heard about it as well...

I also hear inferno is up there...

I've only seen Renderman used by someone else, and it looked extremely hardcore.... I'm learning Maya at the moment, but more for motion graphics work rather than character modelling etc.

3D to me is the most difficult, purely because of the nature of it and what you need to know to do it well...

Flame is an outstanding app, but to be honest Discreets suite of effects, comp and finishing apps have near vertical learning curves but they're incredibly powerful and personally I enjoy the challenge of using them (when the rare opportunity of using Flame actually arises that is).

I came very close to investing in a Flame set up a few years ago, but couldn't justify the initial outlay, but to be honest I'm not sure I need something that high end, and I seem to do okay with a mix of After Effects, Combustion and Shake.

I'm pretty good at picking up any software I try, I'm completely self taught when it comes to software, as my University was more based on concepts and theory rather than technology, so I've always just sat down and figured out how the software works, Adobe for example have nailed their UI if you can work Photoshop, with very little effort you can learn the basics of every other Adobe app.

If you can work Photoshop it takes very little effort to master Illustrator for example, if you know alittle about After Effects you'd pick up LiveMotion in a day you really can see the effort Adobe have put into making their suite of applications work together and work together incredibly well.

The one app I think I ever had any difficulty with (as embarassing as it is to admit) was when Flash 1.0 was released, I'd been using Director for a long time prior, and Flash 1.0 was just sooooooooo bad.... really screwy and full of Macromedia's famed idiosyncrasies and compared to Director it was just nasty and seriously unproductive, that took some time to get my head around, but that was more to do with the app been poor than anything else.

ExoticFish
Jan 23, 2004, 08:03 AM
i agree that Maya is very confusing. i have a book i bought to learn from. but Blender IMHO is much harder to learn because the UI is so different.

Counterfit
Jan 23, 2004, 08:14 AM
I have to put my vote to AutoCAD. I've never used Maya or Renderman etc. so I can't compare, but I bet they're similar.

Les Kern
Jan 23, 2004, 09:03 AM
FCP

arson
Jan 23, 2004, 09:29 AM
The iApps are the easiest and Maya has to be up there with the most complex, just because of the shear number of options available. Really, any audio, video, or 3D app will seem confusing if you don't have a basic understanding of the concepts involved in the different mediums.

I found DVDirector (DVD Studio Pro before Apple bought them) to be pretty easy to learn and use. Of course I had the guy who wrote the manual train me, but still... ;)

James.Paul
Jan 23, 2004, 09:29 AM
WebObjects has one of the largest learning curves i've seen. If you know Java then your more than halfway there but if not it will take a while to learn.

I'm having to go back to University to learn languages like Java. Unfortunately you can't get to the Java class unless you've taken a Visual Basic and C Programming class. In other words my attempt to learn Java will take 2 years.

agreenster
Jan 23, 2004, 09:52 AM
Maya isnt THAT hard. However, I've been using it for about two years and am still learning lots of stuff. But to get the basics only takes a few weeks. Now if you really want to ***** your mind up, use the 3D software Houdini. That's some crazy stuff. Its about 10x harder than Maya. Lots of scripting and math--and more math math math. Math!

Anyway, what makes Maya so deep is that there is so much you can do on the back-end (mel wise) I hardly ever touch any of the Mel stuff because Im just an animator, and the techies deal with that. (bad excuse, I know!) Hopefully I'll get my reel online sometime soon...

Adobe apps are some of the easiest Ive ever used. You can pick Photoshop up in about 2 weeks if you stick with it. There are just a lot of little tricks that take a while to discover.

I actually think some of the Apple apps are difficult. I just started using FCP about a week ago (from scratch, had been using Toaster by NewTek<-- good software) and was trying to delete an audio track from a video and couldnt figure it out. SHEESH. Click it and hit delete you say? Wrong. Weird. Ended up doing it in Quicktime pro, which was faster anyway.

Counterfit
Jan 23, 2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Les Kern
FCP I really have to disagree with you. How much stuff in FCP is hidden away in a DOS-like CLI? Or how about tools not working the same way twice. Or working in 3D and trying to add something, only to find that it's waaay off target because it moved in a different plane? I stand by my assertion that AutoCAD is the hardest to learn program that I've ever used.

TEG
Jan 23, 2004, 10:05 AM
I'd have to say the hardest program I've use on either Mac, PC, Unix is Maple (Or Waterloo Maple to be prosice). It is by far the crappiest, most un-intutive, illogical, mathematics program in the world. The problem, My University uses it to teach Math to students. It took 2 hours to figure out how to graph, and even then it was wrong.

In the M$ world, I'd say Access, has a steep learning curve for people who never worked with databases before.

TEG

1macker1
Jan 23, 2004, 10:26 AM
Hahaha i feel your pain, maple was confusing at first, but it got easier. I'd have to say AutoCad.
Originally posted by TEG
I'd have to say the hardest program I've use on either Mac, PC, Unix is Maple (Or Waterloo Maple to be prosice). It is by far the crappiest, most un-intutive, illogical, mathematics program in the world. The problem, My University uses it to teach Math to students. It took 2 hours to figure out how to graph, and even then it was wrong.

In the M$ world, I'd say Access, has a steep learning curve for people who never worked with databases before.

TEG
wait til you have to use Matlab.

Kwyjibo
Jan 23, 2004, 10:29 AM
I'm struggling at using dreamweaver, more because i'm learning all of my web design as I go and all of the features as I go so I've got a lot to learn

ExoticFish
Jan 23, 2004, 10:33 AM
after years of coding html by hand i tried using dreamweaver... i can not understand that program to save my life. guess it's back to JEdit for me.

teabgs
Jan 23, 2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by agreenster

and was trying to delete an audio track from a video and couldnt figure it out. SHEESH. Click it and hit delete you say? Wrong. Weird. Ended up doing it in Quicktime pro, which was faster anyway.

dude. Just lock the video track that it's attached to select it and hit delete. :)

eyelikeart
Jan 23, 2004, 10:41 AM
Nothing has been the hardest for me to learn, since I don't know everything about any one application. Though I will say that Flash has been the most intimidating & harder to grasp than anything I've fooled around on.

I'm quite sure I'd lose my head trying to learn Maya or anything similar. :p

Roger1
Jan 23, 2004, 10:44 AM
The hardest program for me is called Shamrock. It is a pc based app used in the food service department, for keeping track of the students, their purchases, their accounts, etc. Very tough

agreenster
Jan 23, 2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
Nothing has been the hardest for me to learn, since I don't know everything about any one application. Though I will say that Flash has been the most intimidating & harder to grasp than anything I've fooled around on.

I'm quite sure I'd lose my head trying to learn Maya or anything similar. :p

I think some of the principles of Flash is harder sometimes than Maya! ;) Ive been using Flash for years and years and it still acts totally buggy sometimes.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 23, 2004, 10:53 AM
I think some of the principles of Flash is harder sometimes than Maya! ;) Ive been using Flash for years and years and it still acts totally buggy sometimes.

Flash is tough sometimes, especially with action scripting - but 3D is even more so.

I use Lightwave, which is easier than Maya. I got the PLE version of Maya and played around with it, and even with over 10 years of 3D experience it was too frustrating to get the results I wanted fast enough. It has benefits over Lightwave and I'll most likely eventually use it - but for now I can do most of what I want and don't have the time to get up to speed with Maya.

Someday, though I'll make the switch :D

D

agreenster
Jan 23, 2004, 11:00 AM
I felt the same way when I switched from C4D (which I switched to from Maya, lol)

Maya can be frustrating, especially when rendering. Lots of weird stuff going on there. I still dont like Maya's renderer that much, and use Mental Ray sometimes, but since Im more of an animator, I hate to waste precious hours dinking around with frikkin shadows and raytracing and blah blah blah.

Isnt Lightwave the software that has a light called skylight or something that does Global illumination at the touch of a button or something? I hate messing with GI in Mantal Ray because its so in-depth. Im a one-button kinda guy! :D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 23, 2004, 11:06 AM
Isnt Lightwave the software that has a light called skylight or something that does Global illumination at the touch of a button or something?

rendering in lightwave it great - yeah, there are basically four different types of lights, distant, point, spot and area

Global illumination is done separately, and then there's radiosity :D

I think you're thinking of the skytracer which lets you set up a sun, adds in clouds, fog, etc. You can make it dynamic or bake it so that you only have to render it once. Cool stuff.

D

teabgs
Jan 23, 2004, 11:07 AM
I still dont like Maya's renderer that much, and use Mental Ray sometimes, but since Im more of an animator, I hate to waste precious hours dinking around with frikkin shadows and raytracing and blah blah blah.

I hate messing with GI in Mantal Ray because its so in-depth. Im a one-button kinda guy! :D

Maya's renderer sucks. and mental ray makes stuff look SOOOOO much better. seriously...it's worth the extra time...though I dont like that stuff either. Character animation all the way.

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 11:22 AM
most difficult... lets just say vi if you are used to emacs...

bittorrent is a very easy program and very addicting...

Counterfit
Jan 23, 2004, 11:52 AM
Of course, we all know that pico > vi > emacs :D

mactastic
Jan 23, 2004, 11:54 AM
3D Studio Max
Lightwave
AutoCad (because its not at all intuitive)
Maya

rueyeet
Jan 23, 2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by teabgs
alias Maya. very steep learning curve too. it really takes about 2 years of using it to really start to "get it", and even then there's so much you don't know.

That's how I feel about Photoshop Elements, trying to learn it from scratch. There's just so many filters and brushes and effects and whatnot, that even though I've got the UI and basic working concepts down (layers!), it'll take me a LONG time before I really "get it."

You can pick Photoshop up in about 2 weeks if you stick with it. There are just a lot of little tricks that take a while to discover.

Exactly....and it's all the little tricks that let you do the really cool stuff. Speaking of which...anywhere I can go for tips on those? :D

Originally posted by TEG

Okay, maybe if a person doesn't know the difference between a relational database and an Excel spreadsheet. But I learned Access in a week from a book called Using MS Access, and it's kept me employed ever since. It's as point-and-click stupid as a database can be, really--unless you want to get into the Visual Basic bits, anyway.

P-Worm
Jan 23, 2004, 12:12 PM
Everyone is mentioning Maya as the hardest to use. I would have to vote for Blender 3D. That one is a freaking monster. They just barely started adding menus to it. Before it was all based on hotkeys with nowhere to go to find out what the hotkeys were! :eek:

But hey, it is free....

P-Worm

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Counterfit
Of course, we all know that pico > vi > emacs :D

yeah, if you live in a cartoon ;)

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 12:17 PM
in this cartoon:

idea_hamster
Jan 23, 2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by rueyeet
Exactly....and it's all the little tricks that let you do the really cool stuff. Speaking of which...anywhere I can go for tips on those? :D
Check out Mac Design Online (http://www.macdesignonline.com/) -- the online version has lots (if not all) of the stuff in the print version and the editor is none other than Scott Kelby! It also has links to his tips books for Photoshop and other programs. A great resource!

agreenster
Jan 23, 2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
Everyone is mentioning Maya as the hardest to use. I would have to vote for Blender 3D. That one is a freaking monster. They just barely started adding menus to it. Before it was all based on hotkeys with nowhere to go to find out what the hotkeys were! :eek:

But hey, it is free....

P-Worm

Yeah but Blender is so........well, Blender.

:D

I have seen some cool stuff made with though...

Mr. Anderson
Jan 23, 2004, 01:25 PM
my spin on blender?

you get what you pay for :D

D

HenMaster6000
Jan 23, 2004, 02:28 PM
You would think that FCP is hard but it isn't, although sometimes live-type is unintuitive and harsh. I have Lightwave 7 and it works great, much easier to use than maya. I've tried hundreds of times to understand Maya, but every time I come to the same conclusion that it's so hard that it's useless. I'm sure thats not true, but for me I hate it and will never switch. Otherwise I can't figure out Combusion, although I think I tried that on a PC so you know how that goes... j/k mac joke. DVD studio 1 is very hard and so was gimp for a little while.

themadchemist
Jan 23, 2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by ExoticFish
after years of coding html by hand i tried using dreamweaver... i can not understand that program to save my life. guess it's back to JEdit for me.

I LOVE dreamweaver! I use it because I was able to <ahem> "obtain" it. The only real need I have for it is to save files as html files. Stupid TextEdit locks rtf as the file format, unlike SimpleText (remember that, huh?) that used to save things as plain text so you could just slap a .html at the end of the file name and make it HTML. So I basically use Dreamweaver to write and save, but I really like its auto-formatting, because it makes things easy to read through. The greatest thing, though, about Dreamweaver is its set of reference texts built into the application. I which they had a little bit more information about the various possible values of particular attributes, but nevertheless, the references are great not only to figure out what a particular tag does, but to learn more HTML. The CSS and JavaScript references are also great. Basically, the provide an easy way to learn as you go and are especially good if you already have a strong working knowledge but would like to learn about different scripts you could add to enhance the experience.

I also found PS pretty user friendly to start getting up and running. I'm sure I know like 1/10000% of what the program has to offer, but for my current uses, I was just able to play around until I figured stuff around. And again, I felt the application was pretty versatile and very easy to experiment with. With all of these apps, i think that experimentation is a great way for novices to get into the program. At least, that's the way it's been for me, but I've never tried using Maya or AutoCAD or anything.

And yeah, Mathematica can be annoying.

mac15
Jan 23, 2004, 08:56 PM
I've messed with Maya for about an hour and I have to say its one the most confusing apps I've ever come across. I didn't find photoshop all that hard to use, its actually pretty easier in comparison to Maya.

2jaded2care
Jan 23, 2004, 09:03 PM
Director completely baffles me. Hope it's not just me...

iElvis
Jan 23, 2004, 09:59 PM
I've used most of the Adobe products, Macromedia products, CADKEY, DataCad, and protools.

For what I was doing in protools, it was pretty easy. To this day... I still have trouble with Flash. I love the idea of vector stuff and animating with it, I just have never really picked up on it.

I have to agree with jefhatfield about frontpage. It could be so annoying and it would make a mess of my site. So I stayed with Dreamweaver.

Apple //e
Jan 23, 2004, 10:55 PM
i taught myself softimage back in 95 but recently i tried out xsi (or whatever it was called) and couldnt figure it out

went back to 3d studio, which is actually really easy

autocad is pretty unobvious with menus and options all over the place but i consider it more a tool for a trained professional, meaning that the user is more important than the program

the easiest prog i ever used was appleworks for the apple //e.

Kingsnapped
Jan 23, 2004, 11:52 PM
I taught myself Photoshop, with a lot of help from "PhotoShop for Dummies" (also how I'm learning ASL..). Thanks to that, when I was ready to move from iMovie, I had no issus with the rules of layers in FCP. FC is easy to learn the basics, but it takes a lot of work to pick up the little tricks. I would say the easiest program I learned how to use / teach was iDVD. It's easy because it is so limited. Drag and drop, no skill needed.

I got the demo for Flash, and it scared the hell out of me. Same with Maya. Maybe I'll come back to them when I.. need them..

NoVi
Jan 25, 2004, 03:37 PM
I like the following apps (and work with them on daily basis):

Dreamweaver:
very good, well thought of..you can do a lot of stuff without programming esp. making connections with databases etc. and record manipulation without knowing anything about asp, php etc.

Photoshop/ Illustrator/ Indesign
very good stuff, no problems here. I consider Illustrator as one of the most beautiful programs ever created.

Flash,
I did quite some work with, but we never really became friends...I still find so much stuff so complicated to this app. Especially when you break your project apart and work with movieclips, scenes and buttons etc.
I try to do most of my projects with one timeline and am always glad when I finished a project and it comes close to what I had in mind :p

Logic Audio
Strangely enough I always read so many people have problems with it...while I found the concept always very ehh logical and easy to grasp...very good app!

Software I dislike(d):
First of all, I notice that when you're used to work over an extended period with an app it's very hard to switch to a competitor. For example I tried Steinberg Nuendo, but it's always a hell for me to get things done, that I don't even have to think about when I'm working in Logic.

Quark Xpress
...I was so glad when Indesign came around

iGav
Jan 26, 2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by 2jaded2care
Director completely baffles me. Hope it's not just me...

Director is just beautiful.... I love developing in it.... I also used to teach it as well... :D

MrSugar
Jan 26, 2004, 03:22 AM
I have to say that a variety of 3d apps require a totally different way of thinking, which is what is the hardest for me. 3dstudio is the only one I ever really gotten into... it was HARD.

Photoshop, you can pick up what you need in a few weeks, but this program goes sooooooo deep, I have used it for years and still learn new things all the time.

iMeowbot
Jan 26, 2004, 03:26 AM
I think that sendmail would win by a landslide, fortunately Apple came to their senses and ditched it.

Dippo
Jan 26, 2004, 03:36 AM
Two Words:

Microsoft Windows

kettle
Jan 26, 2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by denjeff
in this cartoon:

Yeah, I had a play with "Vim", not much fun, I got annoyed when I couldn't switch the thing off. I think people overlook the power of the mouse.

JFreak
Jan 26, 2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Dippo
Microsoft Windows

i think so too! that is by far the most difficult game anyone has ever built. maybe also the most interesting - it sometimes takes hours to score the blue screen. it's kind of challenging, too; sometimes i just need to quit it by purpose and have always hard time understanding why it needs to be shut down by pressing start-button.

oh well ;)

scem0
Jan 26, 2004, 08:30 AM
The hardest software I've ever used is Flash. Well, you can make good looking movies right off (with the help of the tutorials), but you have to do a lot of tinkering to really harnass the full potential of the software.

It's a lot of fun though. ;)

scem0

Counterfit
Jan 27, 2004, 10:30 PM
At least Flash *has* tutorials...

I think I should note, if you haven't noticed yourselves, that I am forever jaded towards AutoCAD.

zanuzan
Jan 28, 2004, 07:29 PM
The software that bugs me the most is usually the software that I don't use very often.

I have probably yelled at Microsoft Word more than any other software. It has way too many menus and preferences now. It is bloated. All I am trying to do is make a resume! Not redesign the Bible.

I am trying to wrap my head around Dreamweaver MX, I have not used it since version 1!

Quark has also made me sqeamish, but then typography/layout is not my specialty.

Maya, yes complicated. Houdini crazy!

FCP, Photoshop, Shake, Combustion, Nuke, After Effects are seem like cake but then I use these all the time.

cheers

slowtreme
Jan 28, 2004, 07:57 PM
Hardest: Photoshop

Program that does what photoshop does and makes it easy... PaintShopPro. Wish it was on Mac.

ejb190
Jan 28, 2004, 09:57 PM
I have just started learning Macromedia Studio MX. I gave up very quickly and ordered a bunch of books to help me walk through it. Back when I learned web design EVERYONE wrote their own HTML. I haven't done much with it since then, so I feel WAY behind the curve.

I found FileMaker Pro was a joy to learn. I am constantly amazed when I discover something else that program is capable of doing.

In contrast, I hate MS Access. I just don't get it.

Counterfit
Jan 28, 2004, 10:41 PM
Heh, at least you have some knowledge of HTML to begin with. I'm starting from scratch!

mco242001
Mar 9, 2004, 07:58 PM
microsoft front page
microsoft outlook
microsoft publisher
microsoft windows
designing web pages
microsoft excel
microsoft powerpoint
microsoft word
microsoft access

which software would ya'll say was the easiest to the hardest program to learn? please help.

parrothead
Mar 10, 2004, 01:43 PM
That iChat is so hard I just can't get it. Nah, I would say the hardest for me have been SPSS, and ArcView. Those two have so many little options that seem like they dont do anything but I am sure they do. Photoshop is also pretty hard. There's just so much STUFF in that app.

ps. my 100th post!

howard
Mar 10, 2004, 01:59 PM
to me applications fall into categories of hard... i can't really compare and say.. photoshop and illustrator are harder or easier than logic or digital performer, or easier or harder than lightwave ...or final cut pro...macromedia apps..

all of those types would be under the category, you need background knowledge to use well... well is the key word, yeah you could screw around and maybe come up with something stupid but you won't really know the program...

then there are programs that literally have no learning curve..such as the iapps.. you just can naturally explore and know how to do what you want.

then there are in between that you can completely use knowing nothing, but to get the "hidden features" or more complicated stuff then you need to futz around a bit... things like word, powerpoint, excel, appleworks...etc.

bont
Mar 10, 2004, 02:06 PM
Director was pretty hard, but it was the Windows version that I had to use :p

Actually, Director is fairly simple if you avoid using Lingo.

I find any 3D modeling program incipherable :confused:

Thomas Veil
Mar 10, 2004, 09:26 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned Avid.

I work in a studio where we have access to both Media 100 and Avid, and everyone agrees that by far Avid is harder to use. Just not very intuitive. Stuff that's a click-and-drag operation in Media 100 takes two or three menu-driven steps in Avid. The interface is a lot worse, too.

So, of course, Avid is wonderfully healthy and Media 100, after getting off to a fast start, is close to going out of business. :rolleyes:

gwuMACaddict
Mar 11, 2004, 01:32 AM
Maya and ProE

CmdrLaForge
Mar 11, 2004, 02:58 AM
Hi,

for me its Blender where I have no idea how it works and next is Adobe GoLive which I started to learn but it gives me a hard time.

But most apps are a piece of cake like Office or iLife.

Cheers

jefhatfield
Mar 12, 2004, 01:23 AM
these last two weeks i have been working some in quark, in a pre press class...along with illustrator and photoshop

it really is worse, or harder, or more frustrating than the high end adobe stuff

heck, i will go back to microsoft works ;)

Counterfit
Mar 12, 2004, 02:18 AM
heck, i will go back to microsoft works ;) You do realize that Microsoft Works is the #1 oxymoron? :D

russed
Mar 12, 2004, 03:54 AM
is it just me but i had a quick play with imovie and i couldnt get it! im not thick i promise, i can use autocad and photoshop!

CmdrLaForge
Mar 12, 2004, 05:11 AM
ps. my 100th post!

Welcome regular !

CmdrLaForge
Mar 12, 2004, 05:15 AM
is it just me but i had a quick play with imovie and i couldnt get it! im not thick i promise, i can use autocad and photoshop!

Have you recently switched ? If not I guess its you :(

iMovie is really easy to understand when you are used to Apps on the Mac. A short time after I switched and used iMovie as one of my first Apps on the Mac I had a hard time too. But now its really a piece of cake. Its a very good App and I like it a lot. Don't give up to fast.

russed
Mar 12, 2004, 05:27 AM
well i got my first mac in october. i suppose i will have to just stick with it!

iGav
Mar 12, 2004, 07:58 AM
Director was pretty hard, but it was the Windows version that I had to use :p

Actually, Director is fairly simple if you avoid using Lingo.

avoiding using Lingo kind of defeats the point of Director though.... :p