Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Hey everyone,
I just got my touch yesterday and while every other internet related feature works (google maps, safari, mail etc.) I can't get youtube to work.. when I try to use it, I get a text pop-up that says "Youtube not available."

Any help?
Thanks.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
If YouTube is blocked that message will pop up. My school, for instance, blocks access to YouTube and sites such as Facebook and MySpace. Try getting on a Wi-Fi network that you know cannot be blocking your access to YouTube before restoring and losing all of your settings.

ctimk84

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Same problem here and this is at my home, so I know there is no blocking youtube.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
This is on my home network.. My laptop has no trouble with YouTube. Could it be the router settings? We got a new wireless provider and router the day I got my iPod so I don't know the ins and outs of it yet.

itouch6

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
I had that problem too. What I did to fix it is that for some reason everytime i synced up my time and date got messed up. If you set up the right time and date again on your touch it should work.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I checked the time and it's fine. I also read that it may be a problem with my WEP encryption and that I should change it to WPA, which I did... that didn't work either.

Any other ideas? This seems like it should be relatively straight forward... all the other internet apps work...

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Can you use a proxy when your at school to get youtube to work?

Possibly, but unlikely. YouTube videos open in the YouTube app (which doesn't give you the option.)

It wasn't until recently that Safari let you open a YouTube video from the browser window, so I'm not sure if a proxy would work. I know it didn't when I was on 1.1.3 :apple:

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Anyone know any more possible solutions? I've tired everything in this thread and still can't get youtube to work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.