PDA

View Full Version : cruelty, thy name is man!

radhak
Jan 23, 2004, 10:26 AM
humans seems to be at their best when evincing senseless cruelty.

this is one heart-wrenching piece:

http://www.anc.org/farm/farm_article.cfm?identifier=2004_0123_zimbabwe

agreenster
Jan 23, 2004, 10:56 AM
This is really sad. Its true that people who hurt animals really have something wrong with them.

rueyeet
Jan 23, 2004, 12:05 PM
Good thing the militants didn't get ahold of the people who fled those farms....somehow I don't think they'd have been any more merciful to the people, either.

Pseudonym
Jan 23, 2004, 12:10 PM
I am constantly challenged by the cruelty in farming too. I know it is more mechanised and less outrightly cruel than the story that was quoted, but the animals still suffer.

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 12:22 PM
two words: GO VEGETARIAN!!! :D

Mr. Anderson
Jan 23, 2004, 12:27 PM
That's just not right and really pisses me off .... gouging out the eyes of a puppy and leaving it to fend for itself :mad:

Absolutely uncalled for pain and suffering.... damn, I really wish I hadn't read that article..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

mactastic
Jan 23, 2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Pseudonym
I am constantly challenged by the cruelty in farming too. I know it is more mechanised and less outrightly cruel than the story that was quoted, but the animals still suffer.

Hehe, you'll get in trouble calling it 'farming' around here. The ranchers are VERY sensitive about the difference.

virividox
Jan 23, 2004, 01:16 PM
i am all for eating animals, but for crying out loud, why do u have to torture them. ugh

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by virividox
i am all for eating animals, but for crying out loud, why do u have to torture them. ugh

is there according to you any difference in torturing animals and killing them? i don t believe there is any animal friendly way of killing animals... and meat industry isn t very animal friendly either, it s all 'bout the bucks, isn t it?

we always say that humans are the most developed kind. why don t we act that way?

virividox
Jan 23, 2004, 01:32 PM
beef tastes good hehe but i cant go gouge puppy dogs;

i cant justify why i can eat beef and lamb and all that

Mr. Anderson
Jan 23, 2004, 01:52 PM
quick death vs. painful suffering

which would you choose?

they left that puppy to die, that's just not right. Have you ever had a pet, a dog even? They have feelings, not like humans, but there is a certain level of intelligence.

I'm not going to get into a moral debate about whether its right or wrong to eat meat, there really isn't any simple answer there.

Besides, even if there were no humans on earth, animals would be killed every day for food :D

D

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 01:53 PM
beef tastes good hehe but i cant go gouge puppy dogs;

i cant justify why i can eat beef and lamb and all that

we just live in a world where thinking 'bout stuff isn t a part of every education...

i don t eat anything that contains dead animals. for 6 years already. it s a personal choice and i did not regret it once. the hardest part was maybe to learn to know that there are so many good alternatives. i had to eat the same stuff every day for about a year or so, and then i started looking for it myself (instead of letting my fantastic mum do the same all day). now i am "le chef du maison" :) and my mother finally is learning a bit :D

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 01:59 PM
by the way...

did you know our god steve jobs is a vegetarian...

i know, so was hitler :) and michael jackson is one too, i thought :rolleyes:

virividox
Jan 23, 2004, 02:00 PM
glad u could make that choice and stick with it. i know i coudlnt do that,

anyway i know some farmers are cruel to their livestock, hopefully maybe they will learn

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 02:05 PM
glad u could make that choice and stick with it. i know i coudlnt do that,

anyway i know some farmers are cruel to their livestock, hopefully maybe they will learn

i ll teach them :)

btw, i am totally against violence or soever to any farmer, mcdonalds... if you hurt them you are no better then they are.

Pseudonym
Jan 23, 2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by denjeff
two words: GO VEGETARIAN!!! :D
I set myself up for that!

I am a sort of halfway house. I buy my meat direct from the farm (or ranch, mactastic). I know how the animal is treated and killed. I couldn't buy battery chickens/pigs/cows etc.

virividox
Jan 23, 2004, 02:16 PM
at least in the states there is the humaine society, and aspca...

but in lots of other countries there are no agencies to protect animals

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 02:38 PM
at least in the states there is the humaine society, and aspca...

but in lots of other countries there are no agencies to protect animals

that s a bit hypocritic, i always think...

ok, i think that s a good thing to treat animals better, and it s a good thing there are organisations who watch it.

but, it s sort of "making something that is cruel look less cruel". just like death penalty... you can say they don t feel anything of it, but eventually the result is the same. the most horrible comparison you can make would be some sort of organisation of the germans during ww2 that develops less painfull ways to get rid of all jews.

i think such organisations make people feel better and make them less think about what they do. i wonder how many people still can take a big knife and kill a cow and eat it up... if you don t see it, you don t have to think about it...

virividox
Jan 23, 2004, 04:11 PM
aspca and humaine society prevent cruelty to animals, these are the guys who rescue abused pets, work animals, stop illegal dog and chicken fights, ensure strays get adopted. i dont think they deal with farm conditions and the slaughter practices of these producers.

wdlove
Jan 23, 2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
This is really sad. Its true that people who hurt animals really have something wrong with them.

That is a very disturbing article. The utter inhumanity of man. If they treat an animal that way, then how would they treat a human.

It's a mob mentality. Pent up anger, that was released improperly. :(

rainman::|:|
Jan 23, 2004, 05:20 PM
in nature, animals kill and eat each other. it's called the food chain. happens completely independently of humans. human beings have done so much to remove ourselves from nature, i refuse to remove myself from the food chain.

that's my justification for not being vegetarian. i don't think it's natural, and i don't think it's inherently healthy. however, it is NOT part of nature to be cruel, to torture animals... to inflict pain and trauma intentionally. killing a cow for meat is natural; blinding an animal to know that it's dying is sick.

how come these guys get such criticism, yet most of you are probably anti-peta? peta is working against people like this. i may not support all of their goals, or means, but i think if this kind of cruelty seems wrong to you, peta is your friend.

paul

virividox
Jan 23, 2004, 05:47 PM
sometimes peta can be really retarded.

some animal rights groups go way overboard. and some industries do abuse animal rights, so i guess they balance each other out.

SiliconAddict
Jan 23, 2004, 05:52 PM
This is news to you?!!? Welcome to the human species the cruelest animal on the planet. I was watching the news in early January. They had something on about some lady had gone to bed and had a supposed "friend" over. She woke up to screaming. Went to the kitchen and heard screaming from the oven. The sick **** of a friend put her pet cat in the oven and set it to 250*. Apparently the cat had been in the oven for 2 hours. I'm totally amazed it was even alive after that time. The *** has been slapped with felony animal cruelty charges. My hope is that he'll get his balls cut off put in a sock and is beaten with then until he's unconscious. Let him recover and beat him again for about a week. People have this amazing ability to be cruel to anything they lay eyes on. Iím not a PITA nut but you know I do think people need to get real punishments at least something more then they currently do when they pull this kind of crap. If an animal can feel pain; just because they donít have the same level of intelligence as a human (For some of the people Iíve met in my life I question that statement.) does that mean they donít deserve at last a small piece of respect and ethical treatment?

SiliconAddict
Jan 23, 2004, 05:57 PM
sometimes peta can be really retarded.

some animal rights groups go way overboard. and some industries do abuse animal rights, so i guess they balance each other out.

riiiiiiigh. So I guess to be fair we should let Japan nuke a couple cities of its choosing. Its only fair.

Just because PITA goes overboard doesn't give anyone any excuse at all to act like ***holes.

virividox
Jan 23, 2004, 06:29 PM
its PETA not pita (although pita does taste good with humus)

im just saying sometimes peta takes its actions too far, a tad bit extreme.

i dont get the point about japan nuking...relevance?

im not defending industries here, just saying that they do abuse animals from time to time, and its good that there are watchdogs like peta, but these watchdogs themselves can get out of hand.

SiliconAddict
Jan 23, 2004, 09:52 PM
its PETA not pita (although pita does taste good with humus)

im just saying sometimes peta takes its actions too far, a tad bit extreme.

i dont get the point about japan nuking...relevance?

im not defending industries here, just saying that they do abuse animals from time to time, and its good that there are watchdogs like peta, but these watchdogs themselves can get out of hand.

People for Ethical Treatment of Animals. I knew that. :o