PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary Mac? Not Likely...

MacBytes
Jan 23, 2004, 12:27 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: 20th Anniversary Mac? Not Likely... (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040123132709)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

jydesign
Jan 23, 2004, 12:31 PM
Yes, it's called the G5.

Buy four of them, tell people you have an anniversary G20...

Mr. Anderson
Jan 23, 2004, 12:36 PM
Interesting article - and I have to agree that lately the iPod has had a far larger impact on consumers than Apple's computers.

Too bad they didn't mention the Newton :D

D

billyboy
Jan 23, 2004, 01:17 PM
"Beyond their unique styling, construction materials and superior operating system, what really distinguishes Apple's computers from the Wintel rivals?"

Blimey. what more do you want?:o

nagromme
Jan 23, 2004, 01:35 PM
A 20th anniversary product/iMac need not be earthshaking as long as the price matches other Macs. Apple can make a splash as big or as small as they like for the anniversary.

michaelrjohnson
Jan 23, 2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by billyboy
"Beyond their unique styling, construction materials and superior operating system, what really distinguishes Apple's computers from the Wintel rivals?"

lol, well said!

michaelrjohnson
Jan 23, 2004, 01:49 PM
i would agree. i dont' think that there will be a specific new piece of hardware to celebrate the anniversary. i bet it will just go as a tally on apple's rap sheet, and they will all smile proudly as they blaze forth into the future.

seriously though, apple is smarter than they were 20 years ago, and i doubt they'd work on a project as silly as the TAM again :rolleyes:

nagromme
Jan 23, 2004, 03:43 PM
I don't think they'd make a special TAM again... EXCEPT maybe for one of the following:

1. Slap the 20th A. name on a product they were going to release anyway.

2. Offer a "special edition" that's just a minor variation--like a special color and software bundle--and thus didn't take costly R&D.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 23, 2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by nagromme

2. Offer a "special edition" that's just a minor variation--like a special color and software bundle--and thus didn't take costly R&D.

Exactly! Remember a ways back when they had special edition iMacs (crt) for DV Video and such?

Could be the same thing with the iMacs. G5 iMac top end with something special associated with it - color/metal, etc.

D

michaelrjohnson
Jan 23, 2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by nagromme
I don't think they'd make a special TAM again... EXCEPT maybe for one of the following:

that is (actually) not a bad idea! good thinking!

Sabenth
Jan 23, 2004, 06:36 PM
across the board everything moves into G5's and we all live happily ever after untill the G6 then we all start again .:D

MrMacMan
Jan 23, 2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by billyboy

Market share?

:rolleyes:

As for the G6... your pulling that one a la no chance.

michaelrjohnson
Jan 23, 2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Market share?

:rolleyes:

As for the G6... your pulling that one a la no chance.

i honestly dont' think apple should "replace" microsoft. i think apple is a niche brand and is happy staying that way. of course, they (and we) want the mac to be MUCH more mainstream than it currently is, but turning it into the monster that windows is, would change the apple we know and love.

Nermal
Jan 24, 2004, 01:33 AM
I agree. I think the Mac needs some more marketshare, for the few apps that are Windows-only, but once it gets too big it becomes a target for virii, spyware, etc.

michaelrjohnson
Jan 24, 2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
I agree. I think the Mac needs some more marketshare, for the few apps that are Windows-only, but once it gets too big it becomes a target for virii, spyware, etc.

exactly!