Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret provides an update to the MacWorld Boston IDG-Apple showdown.

In mid 2002, reports began emerging that IDG was considering moving the summer MacWorld back to Boston from New York City, citing rising costs. The move was met with resistance from Apple, who announced they would not be attending the Boston expo.

The ThinkSecret report indicates things have not changed much in either side's position... and without Apple's presence, there IDG appears to be facing significant hurdles in recruiting vendors to exhibit at the Expo.

Two exhibitors told Think Secret that they were told by IDG World Expo that for the show to happen it would need at least 100 exhibitors to sign up. IDG World Expo is refusing to say how many companies have signed up to exhibit in Boston, but one independent source with access to data told Think Secret the number at present was "less than 30."

According to the site, Apple may further revamp the World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a more of a consumer focus -- possibly providing live web coverage for the developer's conference which is scheduled in late July.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Hmmm...

I imagine no one has posted on this article yet as there is nothing good to say about Apple on this one. Admittedly, the report is biased, and we can't be sure whether Apple really did indicate it would be good to go ahead, but it all seems rather silly. Does apple finance the show, or just attend it? If they simply attend, what's the big deal? Oh well. Why people must do business this way is something I don't understand.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
fingers crossed steve will turn up for a suprise annoncement of a g5 cube

wake up from dream

why is apple so god damn stubbern?

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by jimjiminyjim
Does apple finance the show, or just attend it? If they simply attend, what's the big deal?

They simply attend. But they represent the major draw to such a show, that the other vendors take advantage of as a kind of free publicity to their own booths. Apparently IDG did something (probably other than just announce it would go to Boston) that ticked certain people off at Apple, and the cutting off of the nose to spite the face is the lack of an Apple presence at the show. The question now is - will this show happen at all?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Well its my understanding that IDG runs the whole show and pays the fees for the whole week for the building its in. Apparently the fees got to be too high in NYC so they moved to Boston which Apple said they didn't want to do. Well they went ahead and did it anyways. NYC is a much larger market for Apple and you have to believe thats why Apple wanted to stay in NYC.

Another thing I've heard is that Apple is kinda sick and tired of IDG telling Apple what they are going to do and when they are going to do it. Apple is kinda like the host of the whole show and I guess they don't get treated very well by IDG.

In a way I think Apple IS being a little anal about it, but on the other hand I see why Apple is being so stubborn.

If Apple does in fact not attend this summer then it will be a loss for everyone in the Mac community. Like someone else said, it will give ignorant DOSheads another reason to say that the Mac is dying and their going out of business. It will kinda be Apple's loss too. People come from all over the world to see the MacWorld Expo on the east coast and if Apple only does the World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) then that will be a blow to the public as they aren't allowed to come to the WWDC unless they are a developer that has been invited by Apple. I guess Apple's solution to that is to stream the keynote on QuickTime and via Satellite broadcast in their Apple Stores. Well thats very nice of them, but no where near as good as actually being there to see the new stuff first hand and actually get to use it.

I don't know... I hope Apple does both, but its very unlikely. You got to believe thats why Apple moved the WWDC from May to late June(1 month before MacWorld Boston). If they do not attend the east coast show there may never be an east coast show for quite a while...

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Doh! It's apple's fault now?

I've gone to AppleFests back in the 80s and Macworlds in the 90s, and I'm glad that Apple doesn't want MacWorld dragged up to Boston.

Macworld went to NY because NY was a better showcase - it's easier to get media attention, large numbers of Mac users are in NY, and you don't have to fly into Logan to get there.

Remember, Macworld is, first and foremost, an opportunity for Apple to sway the press...and that's much, much easier to do from a show in NY. Boston is a nice town, but when it comes to media splash NY is better.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by Mudbug
They simply attend. But they represent the major draw to such a show, that the other vendors take advantage of as a kind of free publicity to their own booths. Apparently IDG did something (probably other than just announce it would go to Boston) that ticked certain people off at Apple, and the cutting off of the nose to spite the face is the lack of an Apple presence at the show. The question now is - will this show happen at all?

I just think Moving back to Boston probably pissed them off enough.

Greater User Base == New York
Center of Commerce == New York

WWDC might make up for it?

Maybe, if MacWorld Boston dies... Apple can just run a AppleWorld event.

:D

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Why did IDG move MacWorld back 2 Boston?

This is from an interview with the Macworld guy I read when this all went down.

Basically, the head guy was a Bostonian who basically got sick and tired of everyone in town asking him "when is Macworld coming back to Boston?"

The new convention center up there was hard-up for tenants (and giving out deals), the guy wanted to move Macworld back to Boston, and suddenly they had a plan. Except they kind of forgot to ask someone at Apple about it...or at least someone with real authority.

Doh!

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
So basically, WWDC will become the new MWNY. It won't happen in the East, but it will be the summer event for everyone.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Doh! It's apple's fault now?

Originally posted by usarioclave
Macworld went to NY because NY was a better showcase - it's easier to get media attention, large numbers of Mac users are in NY, and you don't have to fly into Logan to get there.

Then don't fly into Logan. Fly in to Manchester or Providence. Both are less than an hour away from Boston, and are much better airports than the semi-demolished labyrinth that is Logan.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
if i recall, i remember hearing a bunch about this before - not only was apple a little upset with some behind the scenes stuff, but they didn't want to be forced into a large keynote event where people would expect a major product release - and by attending only MWSF, they've opened up their release schedule to whenever/wherever they want to release products...

matt

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Expos outdated?

I think one of the reasons that Apple is moving away from this conference focus is to give them a little more flexibilty. It used to be major product updates were ONLY released to coincide with one of the two conferences. Why? Because if they didn't have something big to show people would be dissapointed. Well things started changing, products needed to be updated at different times so they started moving away from only expo related launches. Problem is now people are dissapointed anytime Apple doesn't do something groundbreaking. Seriously, people expect Steve to come out with something magical every six months? This way they can get products to us faster (they don't have to wait). Or we won't feel like we are waiting (i.e. they announce the product, but it doesn't ship for awhile cause it still isnt' ready). I think they are better off with just attending one conference a year. Its kind of like a State of the Mac/ChristMacs rolled into one.

d00d

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Massachusetts
MrMacMan,

You left one little thing out. Boston is a much larger center for tech companies and technical universities. While a large thrust for Apple is creative, wooing tech companies and centers for academic computing is essential for the livelihood of the company. But hey, if you want to make it completely simplistic because you like New York, good for you.

thepickledegg

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
boston

"Boston isn't a college town" - Spinal Tap
Yea there is no substantial, young, impressionable, consumer market there.
Nothin good, except for the Patriots! Woo Hooo 20-14 superbowl Patriots

fooker

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2004
Macworld Boston

Apple doesn't really care about the location. Apple wants to get away from Macworld. People expect them to come out with groundbreaking products twice a year. I was bummed out when I didn't see anything innovative during the last macworld.
Apple fans would go anywhere in the country for Macworld.

Apple is a media darling and gets a ton of publicity. Moving from NY to Boston isn't going to change that. I don't blame IDG for trying to move Macworld out of Overpriced NY.

El Tritoma

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Albuquerque, NM
So who is wrong?

IDG should not have moved back to Boston just because they are located there and politicians put pressure on them. Apple should not have backed out. What's done is done and none of it is good. Apple has to consider the P.R. aspect of this and not be so stubborn. The world is not perfect; sometimes screws fall out.

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by jimjiminyjim
I imagine no one has posted on this article yet as there is nothing good to say about Apple on this one. Admittedly, the report is biased, and we can't be sure whether Apple really did indicate it would be good to go ahead, but it all seems rather silly. Does apple finance the show, or just attend it? If they simply attend, what's the big deal? Oh well. Why people must do business this way is something I don't understand.

Your post indicates that you have absolutely no idea how much it costs Apple to attend one of these shows. As the main exhibitor and focus of the show, there is a great deal of planning and expense for them to attend. I'd rather have them sink that into innovation, if it was a choice between the two.

Although, I am sure that there are other reasons for not attending, like the fact that they already have two major expos every year and that about covers all the product releases that they are capable of, besides of course, minor speed bumps and minor software updates.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Re: Macworld Boston

Originally posted by fooker
Apple doesn't really care about the location. Apple wants to get away from Macworld. People expect them to come out with groundbreaking products twice a year. I was bummed out when I didn't see anything innovative during the last macworld.
Apple fans would go anywhere in the country for Macworld.

Apple is a media darling and gets a ton of publicity. Moving from NY to Boston isn't going to change that. I don't blame IDG for trying to move Macworld out of Overpriced NY.

Apple a media darling?

Apparently you missed the past decade of Apple doom and gloom stroies in the media.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Re: Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by greenstork
Your post indicates that you have absolutely no idea how much it costs Apple to attend one of these shows. As the main exhibitor and focus of the show, there is a great deal of planning and expense for them to attend. I'd rather have them sink that into innovation, if it was a choice between the two.

Although, I am sure that there are other reasons for not attending, like the fact that they already have two major expos every year and that about covers all the product releases that they are capable of, besides of course, minor speed bumps and minor software updates.

How much could attending cost Apple? Few hundred thousand? Half a million? Not much innovation at that price. A drop in the bucket of theor barrell of cash.

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Re: Re: Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by rdowns
How much could attending cost Apple? Few hundred thousand? Half a million? Not much innovation at that price. A drop in the bucket of theor barrell of cash.

I'd have to believe that it's into the millions but we're both just speculating, who knows.

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
too bad for us

MacWorld is a great event for consumers, and it's too bad that both companies let this become a showdown, where one potentially has to back down or lose face.

I went to MWSF, just to check out the iPod mini and see the exhibitor booths, and I had a great time. Bought a couple of O'Rielley books, saw some friends, looked at games, and talked to a few Apple employees about Garage Band. Nothing world-changing, but it is a nice mac-community event.

They should find a way to fix this, even if the fix is a minimal Apple presence that helps keep the MacWorld afloat.

Here's to hoping... :(

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Basically, IDG is saying "screw you guys I don't need you anyway."

They went did their own thing and lost the interest and market area Apple was aiming for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.