Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I have never played Crash, but bought Cro-Mag when it came out for $10, and I have to say that it is definitely worth the $2 that it costs now. I would buy it now before the boost their prices after their app sale.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Here is a review of racer apps: http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...2&format=&page=1&listingType=trev#articleFull . But since you seem to be tight on cash, maybe you should just get Cro-Mag for $2. Then when you are able to scrape up the other $6 (by next year, maybe?), then you can purchase Crash. It's difficult to imagine that somebody can't put together $8, when I paid $20 for these apps when they came out. But to each his/her own, I guess.

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI
Here is a review of racer apps: http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...2&format=&page=1&listingType=trev#articleFull . But since you seem to be tight on cash, maybe you should just get Cro-Mag for $2. Then when you are able to scrape up the other $6 (by next year, maybe?), then you can purchase Crash. It's difficult to imagine that somebody can't put together $8, when I paid $20 for these apps when they came out. But to each his/her own, I guess.

ha ha good point. Not that I dont have the cash, it is the WAF (Wife Approval Factor) kinda sucks right now.... I got the touch with money and things keep adding up. A new charger, a case, apps.... to her it never ends. So I was just looking for people's opinions since they are similar and there is quite the price difference between the too.

Point taken though....

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007

This type of attitude is what's wrong with people that can't save money, and I can't help point it out.

There is absolutely NOTHING with wanting to save 6 or 2 or 1 dollars by only purchasing ONE of these racing applications, and in the OPs case spending the extra few minutes to make sure he is choosing the best "bang for your buck" option. The fact that you can't imagine not being able to scrape up another 6$ is crazy - 6$is not a small amount of money to some.

Amt

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Cro-Mag, in my opinion. But Crash actually has a point to it. In Cro-Mag as soon as you finish a race it just takes you back to the home screen.

vandy1997

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
FYI, I responded to the OP's request by posting an independent review of the apps. Each person will have a different view, as the apps are different. Crash seems to be made for kids. But some adults may like that. And I understand that spousal approval is involved, so I totally get the OP's situation.

But with respect to your comment, a person who cannot afford $6 should not be purchasing an iPhone or an iPod touch that costs anywhere between $200 and $300 (plus monthly charges in the case of the phone). And, if you are able to read, you can see that the OP has the cash. Overall, if the OP doesn't have the cash, he should not be buying EITHER app. He should be buying an app that tracks spending instead (or finding one for FREE), and he should not be looking to purchase a game. That would be my advice.

And you are making an assumption that I can't save money; that is highly asinine of you. I purchased these apps for $10 apiece, and I would gladly pay $8 for both now. In essence, the OP is saving money by purchasing both of the apps at this point. He is saving $12, as the apps are on sale.

Please make sure that you read the whole thread before you post comments that do not respond to the OP's question. I don't see you offering any advice as to which app is better. Your post is baseless and useless.

This type of attitude is what's wrong with people that can't save money, and I can't help point it out.

There is absolutely NOTHING with wanting to save 6 or 2 or 1 dollars by only purchasing ONE of these racing applications, and in the OPs case spending the extra few minutes to make sure he is choosing the best "bang for your buck" option. The fact that you can't imagine not being able to scrape up another 6$ is crazy - 6$is not a small amount of money to some.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I like crash better because it actually has a point. In cro-mag, all the tracks,cars or whatever is already unlocked so there is no motivation to win.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
I have both but prefer Crash. Plus, it has more features.

Here's a head to head review of both...

http://toucharcade.com/2008/07/19/kart-to-kart-cro-mag-rally-vs-crash-bandikoot-nitro-kart-3d/

A QUICK OVERVIEW

Cro-Mag Rally:

• 9 different ractracks (including ‘Atlantis’ which is underwater)
  • 11 different vehicles
  • 9 types of powerups
  • Play modes: Race, Gather
  • Game size: 58.3MB
  • App Store price: $9.99

Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D:

• 12 different racetracks
  • 6 different vehicles
  • 8 different weapons
  • Play modes: Quick Race, Cup, Story, Time Trial
  • Game size: 7.0MB
  • App Store price: $9.99

AND, THE WINNER IS…

In the above areas of comparison, the games are tied. But, of course, a game is much more than the sum of its parts. And as such, despite the lovelier renderings of Cro-Mag Rally, I feel that Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D is the title that offers more engaging gameplay and more replay value in the long run. They are both fine titles that are definitely worth a few megabytes on any gamer’s iPhone, but if you’re a one-kart-racer type of person, then Crash is the way to go.

awesomator

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Honestly i think cromag rally is my least favorite phone app (and i have 80). I have never played crash but in cromag even on the hardest track with the worst car i get in first in 5 seconds and are bored for 3 minutes finishing the race only to not unlock anything because there are know unlockables. the game is basically pre beat. I would either by crash or save for awhile until you get 10 dollars and get asphault which is amazing.

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI
Well, my kids won. They saw Crash was offered and They wanted crash.. It is really alot of fun! Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.