PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading RAM on an iBook G4 to improve Flash performance

zoziw
Sep 26, 2008, 09:32 PM
I have the last generation of iBook G4 before the move to the MacBook.

The thing still runs great with OS 10.4 and 512 MB of RAM, with one exception...Flash.

Windows Media Player runs great with nice smooth frames, so does Quicktime, but Flash video (which has pretty much taken over the net) starts very choppy and only improves slightly after a minute or so.

It isn't a slide show, but as the only problem I have with my iBook I'd like to fix it.

This happens even when I am using only Safari with only one window open.

Would adding 1 gig of RAM fix this problem or is it more related to the processor, GPU or just bad Flash code (I hear they are working on a major overhaul of it)?

fuzorsilverbolt
Sep 26, 2008, 10:16 PM
I have an ibook G4 with 1.2ghz with 512mb memory and it runs flash just fine. My ibook g4 is slower than yours in processor but my hard drive is probably faster unless you recently replaced your hard drive also. New 7200rpm hard drives and freshly installed operating systems make old laptops happy.

I'm not saying that a new hard drive will enhance your flash experience I'm just outlining the differences and saying that I'm not having problems.

Flash 10 is the most current flash and is the only player that I am aware of that uses GPU acceleration, so before that flash depended 100% on your processor.

zoziw
Sep 26, 2008, 11:25 PM
I have an ibook G4 with 1.2ghz with 512mb memory and it runs flash just fine. My ibook g4 is slower than yours in processor but my hard drive is probably faster unless you recently replaced your hard drive also. New 7200rpm hard drives and freshly installed operating systems make old laptops happy.

How did your iBook handle Flash before the hard drive update?

CTJoyce
Sep 27, 2008, 09:43 PM
The simple answer is yes. When I upgraded from 512MB to 1.5GB flash was no longer choppy. Not to mention you will notice decreased boot and shutdown times, and overall system performance increase.

Cheers
Cameron