PDA

View Full Version : Best photo viewer for Mac (not iPhoto or Preview)

techmonkey
Sep 26, 2008, 11:51 PM
I am looking for a good photo viewer for Mac. Windows has tons of free viewers that lets you rotate or crop while you browse thru your photo. I am looking for something that when I click on a photo in Finder, I can easily rotate it zoom in, etc.

Neil321
Sep 27, 2008, 02:14 AM
Take your pic ( pun intended )

Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) ( good & free )

seashore (http://seashore.sourceforge.net/) ( good & free )

imagewell (http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/freesoftware/ig/Free-Graphics-Software/ImageWell.htm) ( basic & cheap)

pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/) ( excellent but not free )

motulist
Sep 27, 2008, 02:18 AM
Graphic convertor (http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/193/key-features.html). One of my favorite features it has is an awesome picture browser (http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/147/graphical-file-and-image-browser-mac-photo-browser-mac-image-browser.html) which is totally customizable so it can show you every single possible tool and piece of info about the picture, or only exactly those that you want to see or not see.

Caelum
Sep 27, 2008, 06:36 AM
I'm partial to Xee (http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee.html).

Edit: Free app.

mckyvlle
Sep 27, 2008, 08:19 AM
I'm partial to Xee (http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/xee.html).

Edit: Free app.

+1 to Xee. It's like Preview on steroids.

hughvane
Sep 27, 2008, 08:12 PM
Another vote for Graphic Converter (but it's not free).

outaru
Oct 8, 2008, 06:03 AM
i tried xee, but I'm pretty much satisfied with preview

mysterytramp
Oct 8, 2008, 08:20 AM
I am looking for a good photo viewer for Mac. Windows has tons of free viewers that lets you rotate or crop while you browse thru your photo. I am looking for something that when I click on a photo in Finder, I can easily rotate it zoom in, etc.

You've got lots of good ideas here ... but what's wrong with Preview? It's a darn good photo browser that offers basic editing. Is there something specific that it doesn't do you're looking for?

mt

piho
Apr 17, 2009, 02:05 PM
You've got lots of good ideas here ... but what's wrong with Preview? It's a darn good photo browser that offers basic editing. Is there something specific that it doesn't do you're looking for?

mt

For example it does not go onto next picture when you press next :)

notjustjay
Apr 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
I also like Xee. I was a big fan of ACDSee on the PC, and Xee looks like it's inspired from that.

Tumbleweed666
Apr 17, 2009, 03:06 PM

It does. Just highlight all the files you want to look at. I haven't found anything up to Irfanview on XP yet though, especially for options when resizing :-(

Consultant
Apr 17, 2009, 03:55 PM

Wrong.

At least 2 ways with Preview.

Select all files, open. Then use up and down arrow.
(System Preference default should be: open groups of images in the same window. <-should be the default setting)

Or Command+Shift+F for full screen view. Then use right and left arrow.

Ashka
Apr 17, 2009, 05:24 PM
Preview,
Whole folders at once, easy flick through, rotate, cropping, resizing, slideshow, annotate plus an Inspector for info. Save in multiple formats too...

budhadha
Apr 18, 2009, 08:06 AM
In the same line, anyone knows of a good soft that would let me merge two pictures? (preferably free and of course for Mac)

I've scanned a map that I've draw, but it was to big to fit on one page. So my map is in two parts and I would like to create one big image of it and than resize it for different purposes.

mysterytramp
Apr 18, 2009, 09:14 AM
In the same line, anyone knows of a good soft that would let me merge two pictures? (preferably free and of course for Mac)

I've scanned a map that I've draw, but it was to big to fit on one page. So my map is in two parts and I would like to create one big image of it and than resize it for different purposes.

Sounds like a simple copy/paste would work. Something like Seashore or Gimp should do the trick.

mt

budhadha
Apr 18, 2009, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a simple copy/paste would work. Something like Seashore or Gimp should do the trick.

mt

Seashore was crashing all the time (each images is 16 MB) but Gimp did the work (after playing with it a little bit). Thanks!

gavlis
Jul 13, 2009, 01:43 AM
I found preview a pain when editing in photoshop as it doesn't seem to like embedded color profiling. If I used RGB or sRGB in PS and then view in Preview the colors come out way too saturated, I have changed the settings in Preview to take the embedded profile(I think) and although better it still doesn't look the same. The only way around this is to save the image in PS and discard the embedded profile. Does anyone have an idea to fix this as I find Preview good to look at images quickly without opening up another viewer? Thanks.

ToddJ
Aug 20, 2009, 09:52 AM
Wrong.

At least 2 ways with Preview.

Select all files, open. Then use up and down arrow.
(System Preference default should be: open groups of images in the same window. <-should be the default setting)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I only get one image (without highlighting all of them beforehand.) I have the settings changed to what you said.

ToddJ
Aug 20, 2009, 09:53 AM
Has anyone found an image viewer that is like the one that comes with Picasa for Windows? That image viewer is awesome and, ironically, much more "Mac-like" than Preview is.

I've been using Just Looking which is Ok.

macbaba
Oct 9, 2009, 06:58 PM
Seriously .. The Preview is so pathetic ..
I can't go to next picture unless I select ALL the pictures in a directory. And again, if I have a directory with videos and other binary files .. They will give stupid errors that it can't open and all. I had a directory with 100 pictures and 12 videos. It opened all 12.
Second, I can't zoom while in a slideshow .. seriously are you kidding me ?

Now, I use iPhoto , I can't zoom while NOT in the slideshow ..
And I can't see pictures in Iphoto WITHOUT importing it. I mean COMMON, If I connect an external drive and want to see pictures I gotta import them to my HDD ? :!
:confused::confused::confused:

ACDSEE please get a fully working version on MAC

ToddJ
Oct 9, 2009, 09:56 PM
what do you mean by Common?

xyglyx
Oct 14, 2009, 01:02 AM
Has anyone found an image viewer that is like the one that comes with Picasa for Windows? That image viewer is awesome and, ironically, much more "Mac-like" than Preview is.

You mean like Picasa for Mac (http://picasa.google.com/mac)?

ToddJ
Oct 14, 2009, 01:09 AM
no. there is a Picasa photo viewer that comes with Picasa for Windows, and it doesn't come with Picasa for Mac (yet.) If you have Windows on bootcamp, try it out.

sesshin
Oct 14, 2009, 01:32 AM
Adobe Bridge

if not that, than Xee, but I don't like the way Xee can't preview large thumbnails. the actual image viewing itself though is nice

raygungirl
Oct 14, 2009, 02:13 AM
I found preview a pain when editing in photoshop as it doesn't seem to like embedded color profiling. If I used RGB or sRGB in PS and then view in Preview the colors come out way too saturated, I have changed the settings in Preview to take the embedded profile(I think) and although better it still doesn't look the same. The only way around this is to save the image in PS and discard the embedded profile. Does anyone have an idea to fix this as I find Preview good to look at images quickly without opening up another viewer? Thanks.

I don't know about Macs (I'm still new to them), but I know on Windows there was an issue with Photoshop where the file colors were always different in Photoshop when compared to the Save for Web previews, or when viewing the image anywhere else. I basically had to do a Google search to find tell Photoshop to make the "working" copy have the same colors as the final copy. (Which is lame. I, the artist, shouldn't have to do anything to make the final product look like the working copy. Hmph.)

Anyway, I did another search and this might solve your problem. Good luck! http://northtemple.com/2009/06/10/color-proof-correction-in

xyglyx
Oct 14, 2009, 11:10 AM
no. there is a Picasa photo viewer that comes with Picasa for Windows, and it doesn't come with Picasa for Mac (yet.) If you have Windows on bootcamp, try it out.

Oh, I remember now. That one's pretty good, but on Windows I preferred the viewer built into Directory Opus, which was just about perfect. Sadly, and somewhat ironically, there don't seem to be as many good viewer choices on the Mac.

laptin
Jan 7, 2010, 09:05 PM
Xee is awesome!~!!!!

it is as the site described, Preview on steriods.
Fully customized keyboard shortcuts.

valerietheblond
Apr 19, 2011, 03:55 PM
+1 to Xee. It's like Preview on steroids.

to Xee. It's exactly what I was looking for.

shaze
Jun 20, 2011, 10:22 AM
I am also using Xee and it is much better than Preview at least as a viewer ( you don't need to select all the photo files first to be able to use the next/previous buttons...).

Question: I couldn't find a Rotate function in the View menu of Xee.

coolfactor
Aug 1, 2011, 02:37 PM

mt

I know this thread is a couple of years old, but I came across it looking for a replacement for Preview when running Lion. It's so dog-slow, it's painful to use. I've been a die-hard Preview user for many years, but Apple goofed up with Lion. Adding and reworking features with very little attention to improving or retaining performance (on older hardware). What used to open instantly in Preview on 10.6 and earlier now can take up to 10 seconds or more on 10.7. Silliness.

I've switched to using Xee, and while it can't handle large image sets as well as earlier versions of Preview did, it's still acceptably usable.

mjudah
Jan 6, 2012, 07:50 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I came across a program called Sequential which has been working very well for me, so I wanted to contribute. Here is the link:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24966/sequential

feliperibeiros
Jan 30, 2012, 02:38 PM
Despite the horrible icon, Sequential was the program that I choose after this previous recommendation posted here. Very simple and straightforward app, to me it is even better than Xee because:

1) Has thumbnail preview
2) The images are opened in 100% zoom and aligned to the top (zoom position it is buy default on top). That was my greatest concern, having in mind that I am a web designer and frequently have to preview lots of screenshot bigger than my screen. When I try to do that on Preview or Xee, the default position is on the middle or on the bottom of the page, which makes me have to scroll all the pages so I can navigate through them looking the top first. Pain in the ass solved!

Thanks guys for the help.

feliperibeiros
Jan 30, 2012, 02:59 PM
By the way, Sequential it is also very useful to preview layouts made to work in iPhone 4 Retina display. That is because we usually have to layout them in a big screen 640 x 960, but the final size the design is going to be viewed is about 50% zoom.

Sequential helps visualizing several layout files because once you reduce the zoom view to 50% in one image, it becomes automatically the default zoom to the all next images, while you navigate through the folder. That is perfect, considering that in Preview or Xee you need to reduce the zoom every time you change the image.

Brilliant app. I strongly recommend it.

bdodds1985
Jan 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
when I first started using my MBP I was looking for more of a paint feel. Now I have photoshop and have became familiar with preview enough to where it doesn't bother me. Still have a hard time with photoshop though.

psynnott
Aug 20, 2012, 02:52 PM
I also like Xee. I was a big fan of ACDSee on the PC, and Xee looks like it's inspired from that.

Thank God for Xee. I thought I was never going to get a Mac equivalent of ACDSee

kamyar07
Aug 2, 2013, 06:50 AM
I figured it out!! its COMMAND Y

Only issues with this is you wont be able to go through pictures once in full screen, no slide show option, and it doesnt let you delete the photos

Is there a way to get those features, also can we make that the default action for double clicking a file. Its my first day on a mac so i am having trouble with this stuff, and dont really like iphoto it looks like you have to make duplicates of the file eating memory and it doesnt organize in the way i want it to

ToddJ
Aug 2, 2013, 09:29 AM
Oh, I remember now. That one's pretty good, but on Windows I preferred the viewer built into Directory Opus, which was just about perfect. Sadly, and somewhat ironically, there don't seem to be as many good viewer choices on the Mac.

There's a new mac app called "Lilyview" that works pretty well....it isn't perfect, but i've been trying to give the developer ideas that would make it even better. It is very minimalistic....it kind of looks like a Quicktime X when all the "chrome" goes away....

maxroman
Aug 16, 2013, 12:42 PM
Came to this page, because I got too fed up with being unable to go to the next/previous picture in preview! Though I love the program itself and the capabilities it has in terms of editing, export/import, crop, etc... The solution was so easy heh! Just select all the images and open one - and I have the next/previous images now. Thank you guys :) :apple:

matrix07
Apr 4, 2014, 04:56 AM

Command+Shift+F goes to All My Files in Finder. ?? :confused:

And Command+Shift+F in Preview makes a picture go to fullscreen but you will never be able to browse other pictures unless you selected it first. :confused: