PDA

View Full Version : How do I adjust my Video Card fan speed on Mac Pro?

blarian
Sep 27, 2008, 01:09 AM
How do I adjust my Video Card fan speed on Mac Pro? ( I want to increase it )

I have smcfancontrol, but that seems to only control the other fans.

I want to increase the fan speed just on my video card (which is the upgrade kit 8800GT)

Thanks!

Cindori
Sep 27, 2008, 07:07 AM
AFAIK, you can't.

Why would you want to?

FF_productions
Sep 27, 2008, 10:44 AM
There are the PCI-e/HD Fans, I'm sure there is plenty of cooling to go around. It's something you don't need to worry about unless you are doing some over-clocking.

blarian
Sep 27, 2008, 01:55 PM
Well, I'm having an issue with 3D rendering and any kind of 3D game with the card. Getting total lockups. If I crank up ALL my fans really really high via smcfancontrol, then its usable and it has less frequent freeze ups. So, I wanted to test the fan on the video card as well, and see if I can narrow it down to that. I'd much rather just risk the video card & it's fan,rather than leaving ALL my fans on max while doing 3d.

So, if it's possible to just increase the fan speed on the vid card I would want to try it out.

FF_productions
Sep 27, 2008, 02:12 PM
If the video card is locking up like that, there is a problem. It's overheating, might want to take it in and get it replaced.

blarian
Sep 27, 2008, 04:24 PM
That's what I figured. But, this is one of my only options for video card upgrade for the Mac Pro, so.. Does anyone know how to actually speed up the fan on these things? I have read that it's a common trait amongst these cards. So, I want to see before I go and replace it. Who knows maybe it will run fine with the fan going a bit harder.