PDA

View Full Version : Where do you see/want Apple to go next?

chriscorcoran
Jan 23, 2004, 07:37 PM
Hello,

I started this thread because I wanted to know where the loyal Apple Army wants it commander to lead them. I want to know where the people who keep Apple afloat think. So here are a few topics to get us started. So read on and tell me what you think.

First off...I recently saw a post on page 2 of Macrumors.com that said Apple may move into the projector market. So do you think of making a move in the Home Theater market?

Ok..secondly with the possible move into the projector market this leads me to think that maybe one day Apple will move into a an iTunes like delivery system for movies. Do you think that Apple could move into movies in the say way they did music?

Next up...the much talked about iPDA. It seems to be the phantom topic only making it self known around big Apple events. I personally would like to see an iPDA or an iSmartphone.

One more...the iTablet. The iTablet seems like a good idea. Thatís assuming thatís what I think it is. I believe that it is a TabletPC device. If it is in fact real I see something around 12 inch LCD, 40Gb to 80Gb Hard drive, 265Mbs to 1.25Gbs, Bluetooth, Wifi, and maybe a CD-RW. Now if it is a Smart Tablet device that Microsoft recently dropped from its product line. I am not sure if there is really a big market for that kind of stuff. Either way if Apple could make it work it would be a great "f*uk you" from Apple to Microsoft.

Moving on...the iBox. Yet another phantom Apple product making it self know particularly at the most recent MacWorld.

That should be enough to get some good conflicts going. lol

Here is a quick run down of what I think.

Projector = excellent idea. The market is ripe for the picking. The market especially for LCD projectors is filled with companies looking to slash prices at the cost of innovation. I think that Apple should move into projectors. Something around 1400 to 2000 dollars with ADC, S-Video In, VGA In, and maybe DVI or Mini DVI with the Apple touch and make Apple stand out.

Movie Delivery = Nah, I donít see it happening anytime soon. I mean a DVD is 4 to 8Gbs on average. Now unless of course you are running Internet 2 itís going to take you a little while. I think Steve Jobs is right. There is no instant gratification.

iPDA/iSmartphone = Personally I would love a Newton2 or an iPDA. I am getting tired of the PalmOS and PocketPC. Apple could really spice up the market. A smartphone would be nice too although I am not sure how they would reach mass appeal with all the different cell phone standards. I could see the iPDA with 300Mhz to 600Mhz CPU, 64Mb to 128Mb on board, SDIO Slot, Wifi (maybe), Bluetooth, and I would like to see a compact flash port for a Hitachi Microdrive.

iBox = The iBox is an interesting idea. But I am not sure if anyone knows what it really is. Some say that is a wireless media receiver. Still others say it is a tivo like device that can take media from you mac and send it out over Home Theater. As soon as the rumor mill decided what it is I will be glad to give an opinion.

Ok so letís hear what you think...and if you want to talk more email me at chriscorcoran9@hotmail.com

Thanks
-Chris

alxths
Jan 23, 2004, 07:51 PM
I think a low end projector for household use is something that could've been benefiting a lot of people years ago. Might be a bit of a pain to set up, but if you can get a decent 6' or so picture for $200-$300, it'd be well worth it.

mac15
Jan 23, 2004, 07:56 PM
I don't see Apple doing any sort of smart phone, unless they integrate such features into a future ipod. Which I highly doubt. I think they'll keep working on iSync and a means of connecting other Phones to our macs. I can't see Apple competing with Nokia/Motorola/Sony Ericsson. Its to big a market to crack.

I'd like to see Apple get into Home theatre market myself, creative something Tivo like to bridge the gap between Digital/HDTV and computers and not only overtake the competitors but set another gold standard on how it should be done. I'm not sure how they'd do this but I mean comon it is Apple I'm talking about :)

Consumer products like the Digital Camera and the MiniDV Camera for their iLife suit. There have been rumors of an 'iShot' Digital Camera, (the comments originated from Apple.com themselves when they appeared in a poll on the website) It would need to offer ipod HD integration. Image taking 40GB of photos/music around with you. Thats an endless amount of photos for the average user.

Only time will tell, I'm sure their future products will be as outstanding as the ones currently avaliable.

mkrishnan
Jan 23, 2004, 08:26 PM
I wonder if Apple is looking at the smart-phone-esque market...that is, the wireless devices that work based on phone functionality but are targetted at something else. I guess I don't see them taking on N-Gage or the next wireless gameboy, but maybe something based on the iPod that either receives digital radio or allows you to buy iTunes wirelessly? 3G ought to be fast enough for that.

I think the Tablet PC idea would be great if they pared it down to a device aimed at surfing that did that one thing really well (i.e. really long battery life, lots of comfortable viewable angles, not a lot of booting or crashing). Don't really even care if it can do much more than surf and view iPhoto pictures. Sort of a Palm approach.

Stelliform
Jan 23, 2004, 10:05 PM
I would like to see them beef up the xServes with built in Raid 5. I would also like to see them take iCal and Mail and make a MAPI connection to a Microsoft Exchange server. M$ is holding back on releasing Outlook for OS X because it hurt Apple's integration into PC networks. (I know, the clients always get stuck on that point.) Or maybe making OS X server allow you to share iCals and mailboxes easily..... (BTW Entourage X connected to exchange is no picnic.)

Anyway, I think that Apple is making great progress in making the Mac a seamless alternative to a PC in an office environment. Once they have the shared calendar (And contacts, those are the two I share the most.) solved, I will be able to switch twice as many networks over. :D

jefhatfield
Jan 24, 2004, 12:45 AM
when sj came back to apple in the late 90s, he simplified things and had one laptop for home and one for pros, one desktop for home and one for pros and apple had one operating system

that strategy worked well for apple then to slim down its offerings and get the company more focused and make the computers colorful to stand out in a then sea of beige machines

and another thing done was the buying out of power computing and stopping others from making clones...some say the clones were better and my power computing powertowerpro seemed to beat the apple inc macs of the time

today, as we know apple inc is better off with more than just four hardware offerings and the company should spread its wings and sell anything that can make the company a profit

somewhere along the line a few years ago, apple changed its name from Apple Computer Inc to Apple Inc...and the speculations flew

ipod is just a taste of what there is to come in the form of non computer hardware items and it's a great thing that pc users can use the ipod now and get a whiff of what master chef steve jobs is cooking in the kitchen:D

mkrishnan
Jan 24, 2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
when sj came back to apple in the late 90s, he simplified things and had one laptop for home and one for pros, one desktop for home and one for pros and apple had one operating system

I do think, personally, that understanding the selection of different models at Apple is still a lot easier than understanding, for instance, what the difference is between the Dell Inspiron 1300, 5100, 8600, D500, etc are. Although there is definitely cross-talk, in the sense that there are lot of people who wonder if they should get a Pbook or an iBook, I think Apple does an excellent job of creating a clear marketing image of the target customer for each product.

Well, maybe not the iPod mini yet, but in general... ;)

jefhatfield
Jan 24, 2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by mkrishnan
I do think, personally, that understanding the selection of different models at Apple is still a lot easier than understanding, for instance, what the difference is between the Dell Inspiron 1300, 5100, 8600, D500, etc are. Although there is definitely cross-talk, in the sense that there are lot of people who wonder if they should get a Pbook or an iBook, I think Apple does an excellent job of creating a clear marketing image of the target customer for each product.

Well, maybe not the iPod mini yet, but in general... ;)

i totally agree

i hate those long serial number type model names like compaq presario model 2549z or hewlett packard ze4455 and that type of a numbering scheme does not give the machines any personality

denjeff
Jan 24, 2004, 05:59 PM
read the roadmap of the G... series on http://www.macosrumors.com/

that is what they are going to :)

and video ipod...

sethypoo
Jan 24, 2004, 06:03 PM
I want to see Apple go to Europe and Canada.

GorillaPaws
Jan 24, 2004, 08:05 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, but Apple REALLY needs to come out with a car stereo that has a slot you can slide your ipod into, with a faceplate that flips up and you can not only navigate your ipod's menus but ideally play slideshows from your photos stored on the ipod as well. the current car stereo solutions for the ipod are messy and shouldn't involve cords running all over the place. Just my opinion.

isus
Jan 25, 2004, 12:20 AM
g5 powerbook :D

yamabushi
Jan 25, 2004, 01:05 AM
Software for business professionals. Start with an office suite. Appleworks doesn't count.

Grow and expand. Growth will fuel excitement which encourages investment which enables growth. Be fearless.