Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankiepdx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Portland OR
http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/27/rumor-is-the-apple-tv-being-replaced/

We just got an e-mail from an anonymous Apple reseller, stating that they received an e-mail from Apple with instructions to remove all Apple TV displays and literature and to destroy them (which I assume means throw away the literature, send back the Apple TVs) by September 30, 2008 at 5 PM. Additionally, the e-mail says that there will be a webcast "kick off" on September 30.

Incidentally, September 30 IS a Tuesday (and the last day of the September quarter), making all of this information, very, very interesting.

So, what does this mean? Could this potentially be the introduction of the Mini/Apple TV hybrid we've all been begging for? Is this related to "the brick?"

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
I absolutely love my AppleTV! I hope they don't stop working on the AppleTV software if this rumor is true.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This is interesting only because when 10.5.5 came out there was a Front Row update. The Apple TV got no update. In the past when a Front Row update came out the Apple TV got an update also.

We will see.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This sounds like bullschmitt. The source is fishy and there's been no other indication of other retailers reporting the same thing.

:apple:tv might get an HDD boast or hardware refresh at the October 14th event to ready it for Christmas, but I don't see it being replaced or discontinued.

Wanderer

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
"New" AppleTV

I am seriously glad I saw this. I have a couple of Wally World gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and was thinking about getting an AppleTV this afternoon. I'll wait now.:p

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Go through the posts on the rumors list and make your own decision.

http://www.tuaw.com/category/rumors/

They summarize other people's predictions... so that page is no help. This seems to be something they're predicting exclusively.

arn usually has a backstory on predictiors and their accuracy. Not expecting to hear from him on this rumor because it's not even remotely substantiated, just want to know if anybody recalls them being correct on past predictions of their own.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Anyone know TUAW's accuracy in their predictions?

TUAW is very loose about their rumors, and will publish things if they are remotely interesting without much concern about accuracy.

So I would trust a random post by them as much as I trust a random unconfirmed submission. Which is to say not that much.

But, reseller communications should be verifiable... so we'll see if we hear more about it.

arn

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
TUAW is very loose about their rumors, and will publish things if they are remotely interesting without much concern about accuracy.

So I would trust a random post by them as much as I trust a random unconfirmed submission. Which is to say not that much.

But, reseller communications should be verifiable... so we'll see if we hear more about it.

arn

Thanks, arn. I know we'll hear more about it if you do.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It's about time. I just hope it is true. Love my Apple TV, but as we all know it needs a kick in the behind.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Wow. I didn't see this one coming if it is true.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I think that a Mac Mini/Apple TV hybrid of some kind is on the way for sure. DIdn't expect this so suddenly though, expect rumors to be rife from Monday.....

ShadoW

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I think that a Mac Mini/Apple TV hybrid of some kind is on the way for sure. DIdn't expect this so suddenly though, expect rumors to be rife from Monday.....

ShadoW

I too believe this "hybrid" is coming as I've said many times. It's just a matter of when.

TUAW may just be passing along an unsubstantiated rumor or it could be true.

As far as the Apple store. They almost always have the item for sale regardless of it getting an update.

If this rumor is true. Like arn said we would start seeing confirmations from other resellers.

I did a quick look at Best Buy and Amazon. They had them for sale online next day shipping. The Best Buy B&M stores showd about a 50/50 in stock.

Gerg

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
Their follow-up states that some are suggesting that the license for using the images in the promotional materials expires on September 30th, thus they must be removed. It may be a false alarm.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Their follow-up states that some are suggesting that the license for using the images in the promotional materials expires on September 30th, thus they must be removed. It may be a false alarm.

Those are comments and email from readers. Nothing new from their "source"

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I cannot say where I work or anything, but at the place where I provide services, the full line of Apple products are sold, and I don't think I have come across a customer interested in buying an Apple TV in the last six months or so.

I think of the Apple TV as being similar to the Airport Express--they both do a lot of things and have cool niches, but it's not easy to sell because it's not great at one thing, it does lots of little things. I could see them re-branding Apple TV as part of the Airport line up. Like Airport TV. Or Air TV. If it were part of that family, I think expectations might drop for it a bit which would be a good thing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Damn, I've been building up my iTunes collection somewhat in the hopes that when I get my own place I can hook up an :apple:TV and stream all them lovely files.

Hope it's not true, or that they're replacing it with something better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.