Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Hello all,
I am planning on attending The Art Institute of Washington DC and there is a supply kit we can purchase. Among tons of other things it includes a Canon Rebel XTI kit, and I was wondering how good the camera is. I have no experience with Canon equipment, I am strictly Nikon, but I would like to get a feel for the other side (dark side :D)

So I just want an opinion on the quality of the camera, I can opt out of getting it, but I would like to know thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

It will be great. But you can use your own Nikon gear. You don't have to go out and buy another brand.

Some colleges will put certain things down as "required" but it's not always the case. Like MS Word isn't a requirement, just being able to save/send/open .doc files... so any application that can do so is acceptable.

p.s. given the school and department... i.e. an IT school requiring Excel since they will be teaching Excel in certain courses.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
It will be great. But you can use your own Nikon gear. You don't have to go out and buy another brand.

Some colleges will put certain things down as "required" but it's not always the case. Like MS Word isn't a requirement, just being able to save/send/open .doc files... so any application that can do so is acceptable.

p.s. given the school and department... i.e. an IT school requiring Excel since they will be teaching Excel in certain courses.

Yeah I see what you are saying. They do not require Canon cameras, They have a million dollar supply room with Nikon, Canon, Myanmira, etc.

I forgot to mention that I have a D50... and they are one of the top Apple purchasers, with 6 labs 3 of which are Apple with 25 Mac Pros and each has a 20" ACD... needless to say I was in HEAVEN!!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yeah I see what you are saying. They do not require Canon cameras, They have a million dollar supply room with Nikon, Canon, Myanmira, etc.

I forgot to mention that I have a D50... and they are one of the top Apple purchasers, with 6 labs 3 of which are Apple with 25 Mac Pros and each has a 20" ACD... needless to say I was in HEAVEN!!

Oh trust and believe.... I know about them labs in some colleges. Have you seen the one at Full Sail? I haven't but the image taken 4 years ago were amazing!

Since you have a D50, not that it's an ineffective body or anything, and you are looking for a new one you can always grab a D300 lite (D90) and a sweet kit lens (18-105). Then use the college's stuff.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello all,
I am planning on attending The Art Institute of Washington DC and there is a supply kit we can purchase. Among tons of other things it includes a Canon Rebel XTI kit, and I was wondering how good the camera is. I have no experience with Canon equipment, I am strictly Nikon, but I would like to get a feel for the other side (dark side :D)

So I just want an opinion on the quality of the camera, I can opt out of getting it, but I would like to know thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!

To directly answer your question the XTI is Canon's entry level camera. It is like Nikon's D60. But you know what really maters is the assortment of lenses you have. No what really maters is the photographer. I would not switch brands unless you had a really good reason. Your D50 is a great camera. Keep it until there is something you need to do that it can't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.